Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #1

Boondocking just for traveling

Ok, just wondering if I can make it from Dallas area to New England. I have 2 interstate SRM-24 Marine/Rv Batteries on my TT. The spec says Amp Hours 81, so I guess x2 come to 162Amp Hours x 12 v =1944 watts.??? I am dumb to electric math etc. So if this is correct, my Fridge is residential and runs while traveling with the inverter running. My water heater can run propane or electric, water pump for water uses etc. Anyone have any ideas how long I might can go before I need shore power or generator if I opt to buy one. I would like to be able to avoid 1 night rv parks as 5 or 6 days to get somewhere to spend maybe 3-4 weeks adds up.

Thanks for any response in advance.
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Since both batteries are not true deep cycle batteries but dual-purpose marine batteries, if you don't use the furnace, I would guess at least 2-3 nights before needing shore power or a generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:41 PM   #3

You should be fine, but we always take our Honda generator EU2200i with us just in case. So glad we did as we needed it on our last trip. We had booked an electric site but it was too tight for our RV, so we took a no hookup site which was nice & roomy!
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #4

The vehicle charge system will recharge the RV batteries while you are driving, if the electrical system is properly set up. You should have no problems with overnight stops as long as you are not wasteful with your power usage. If you are doing the trip soon the bigger worry would be if the furnace runs a lot, it can use the batteries up on an overnight stop.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #5

Buy a generator.
With a residential fridge I'll be impressed if your vehicle charging system keeps up while traveling.
Even my friends with huge solar systems always bring a generator when we boondock.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

yes I can drive 10 hrs or so a day and my fridge is still A-Ok when I stop. It is a small Whirlpool, not a large one but big enough.
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #7

If your traveling partners are agreeable, you could turn the inverter off and just put a bag of ice in the freezer and another in the lowest shelf of the refrigerator--all the rest of the food on the higher shelves or bottom drawers. Replace the bags every second day.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
2013 Georgetown XL 377

Just remember with your marine deep cycle batteries you should only use 50% capacity so divide total amp hours by 2 then you will have useable amp hours.
Georgetown377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
The vehicle charge system will recharge the RV batteries while you are driving, if the electrical system is properly set up. You should have no problems with overnight stops as long as you are not wasteful with your power usage. If you are doing the trip soon the bigger worry would be if the furnace runs a lot, it can use the batteries up on an overnight stop.
Especially if driving long days. If driving 8-10 hours per day even a puny 5 amp charge rate from the tow vehicle will replace 40-50 amp hours to the batteries.

To the OP:

To get a better idea of what your tow vehicle is ACTUALLY delivering to the batteries, take an actual measurement. Use a clamp type ammeter and with engine running at a fast idle and measure current flow into the batteries at the ground/negative cable.

Do this two times, one with refrigerator shut off, record reading, then again with the the refrigerator running.

A positive current flow will indicate charging and negative, discharge.

Remember, the refrigerator only runs a percentage of the time so when it's not running the TV alternator is replacing some or all of what it used.

If enough charge current isn't enough one alternative is to add a DC-DC charger like the 20 amp Renogy DCC-1212-20. Even with stock wiring it will yield 12-15 amp at the house batteries. $127 is a lot less expensive than a generator, ESPECIALLY if driving long days between stops.

As for using up the batteries overnight with furnace running, a lower thermostat setting, sleeping bags, and flannel 'jammies' or sweats can conserve a lot of propane AND battery. You really just need to keep temps inside high enough to keep things from freezing. (the dog will become very popular too )

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #10

Your batteries will not last as long as you think without some solar or running a generator. Taking your lead acid batteries below 50% is definitely a problem.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:34 PM   #11

I have just recently bought a TT. I would like to figure out if I could go boondocking. i have a residental fridge. but i was just wondering if the microwave and fridge would work on 12V.. i have 2 deep cycle batteries, currently. am thinking of getting a generator.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:56 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by testersbc View Post
I have just recently bought a TT. I would like to figure out if I could go boondocking. i have a residental fridge. but i was just wondering if the microwave and fridge would work on 12V.. i have 2 deep cycle batteries, currently. am thinking of getting a generator.
Do you want to just boondock or also dry camp?
It would help if you provided more information:

Make/model number of fridge
Make/model number of INverter
Make/model of batteries

You're going to need more batteries and a big inverter to run the microwave and you won't be able to run the fridge AND microwave at the same time. Unless you pull another trailer full of batteries. Since you have a TT, you're limited to just 2 batteries unless you does some extensive mods.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by testersbc View Post
The microwave will not work on 12V. It depends on your electrical system and what model fridge if it will work on 12v or not.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:10 PM   #14

When you drive you have about 80 available amps of dc. Generally the tv charging system does little to recharge you rv batteries. My 200 amp alternator charges at about 12.9 volts. Next to nothing. Line loss from the alternator to the rv batteries. Some tv’s do better.

An inverter being in the on position will generally consume about 20 dc amps or more a day. Leaving you 60 available the first day.

When you convert dc to ac your inverter is only 80% efficient. So you have about 50 amps. 600 watts ac.

Any large consumer like a fridge or furnace or cpap will wipe the battery out fairly quickly. Microwaves and coffe makers use a ton of power.

A battery monitor would be a good idea. So you are not flying while blind. If you do overuse the batteries they will fail fairly quickly. 1 year or so.

I would freeze gallon water bottles and put them in the fridge with precooled food and drinks. Fill the fridge with bags of ice every two days.

Residential fridges are not intended for boondocking. $2000 worth of batteries, a new converter and 6 solar panels would help.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:31 AM   #15

Seems like a Hell of a note, when the new RV refirs that run on 12v eat up amperage when people are traveling. Two people have mentioned using bags of ice.

We had ice boxes in the 1960s and before. I sometimes just bring a cooler with ice for short trips, but I like a propane refir.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Residential fridges are not intended for boondocking. $2000 worth of batteries, a new converter and 6 solar panels would help.
Friends of ours have a 40ft genesis, this is exactly what they had to do in order keep their fridge on. No thanks.lol
Klitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #17

I don't get the popularity of residential fridges that run only on electric.
I like propane. Your alternator will have a hard time keeping up.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
I don't get the popularity of residential fridges that run only on electric.
I like propane. Your alternator will have a hard time keeping up.
I think they are popular with certain RVers, mainly those who always stay at full hookups and don't have long travel days.
Among all my RV friends who mainly boondock as I do, residential fridges are not even considered an option. Had a few (including my father) who tried them, but it didn't last long.
I think residentials are popular with the manufacturers because they are cheaper!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I think they are popular with certain RVers, mainly those who always stay at full hookups and don't have long travel days.
Among all my RV friends who mainly boondock as I do, residential fridges are not even considered an option. Had a few (including my father) who tried them, but it didn't last long.
I think residentials are popular with the manufacturers because they are cheaper!
I agree with Scott.
Also, many folks who buy thieir rigs for seasonal sites like having a residential refrigerator.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #20

Have 110VAC residential refrigerators ever been used in TTs or 5ers? I'd think, because of the continuous power demand, they'd be practical only in a motorized RV, and only for those who never boondock.

With DC compressor refrigerators becoming more common, the term "electric" may become confusing. Opinions vary on their usefulness and reliability (not wanting to ignite that debate here) but it seems like the 12V compressor would be more efficient than a 110V compressor because the 110V requires an inverter. That assumes adequate battery storage and solar power and is not a comparison to propane.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, travel