Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Get a big dog and a big gun
I have a Shih-Tsu and a small gun I am very proficient with.

Boondocking in many ways can be safer than in some RV Parks. People are often hesitant to approach a camp at a boondocking site because many people are willing to protect themselves.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 01:08 AM   #42

Of course take a gun

As to Canada after staying the night in Chicken, Alaska we started the Top of the World Highway by going through the Canadian check station. Young lady asked if I was carrying a gun and I said no (truth). She said if you get out of your vehicle you are silly if you are not carrying a bear gun. Yes ma'am said I meekly.

As to carrying during our 9K mile Alaskan tour we boondocked at a vista point overnight. Another TT was there also. In the middle of the night our TT moved and there were noises outside. I had a machete and it felt very inadequate. I now carry, and I sleep well. No paranoia, just reasonable planning.
pkonanz is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 03:18 AM   #43

Here in the USA, one's RV is their domicile. And in nearly every state juristiction, you can have a firearm in your domicile... aka ...RV, home.
Without Probable Cause, Law enforcement needs a warrant signed by a judge to search your home, RV, Domicile.
Probable Cause can be audible sounds of someone being attacked, etc. Such as a family fighting with each other.
However; you cannot carry a firearm outside your RV without proper permit or appropriate law enforcement status.
To boondock and have a firearm in your RV, (home, domicile), is your right in the USA. For life threatening protection. If you need a gun for fear of; bears, mountain lions, humans, aliens, or zombies. You should have one and know how to use it safely.
If you are afraid of guns, don't get one.
It's your right to live in a world of imagined chocolate rivers and rainbow skies. Where everyone loves each other. If you want and believe it.
But if you boondock, be prepared.
If you and your significant other is squeamish, you should probably stick to places that you feel safe and hope the government can protect you. 911

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #44
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Hey we just got an attaboy in Philly a few weeks ago... Made it a whole night without a murder!
I'll never forget the day I broke down in Philly driving to the Outer Banks, NC. I pulled off the highway overpass, and found myself in a very ugly part of town. I called my cousin who lives just outside Philly and he asked where I was. I responded, "Some place called Fish Town". He blurted out, "Oh my God!!" "What?, I responded. He said, "The evening news always starts, 'tonight in Fish Town...', then some horrible story usually involving death".
NJKris is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I have a Shih-Tsu and a small gun I am very proficient with.

Boondocking in many ways can be safer than in some RV Parks. People are often hesitant to approach a camp at a boondocking site because many people are willing to protect themselves.
I was just reading on the thousand Trails fb group where someone climbed into the roof of an rv and stole their satellite dish at 8pm while the owners were in their rv. They actually heard the noise but thought it was the wind and trees...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 06:52 AM   #46
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I'll never forget the day I broke down in Philly driving to the Outer Banks, NC. I pulled off the highway overpass, and found myself in a very ugly part of town. I called my cousin who lives just outside Philly and he asked where I was. I responded, "Some place called Fish Town". He blurted out, "Oh my God!!" "What?, I responded. He said, "The evening news always starts, 'tonight in Fish Town...', then some horrible story usually involving death".
Yes not very many nice places left in Philly and the areas arou d Philly.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #47

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, except Bears. Bears Will kill you."

Be Prepared. Boondock in the wilderness...expect some 4 legged creatures. A pocket knife, slipknot and some tinfoil.....not gonna save ya.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #48
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, except Bears. Bears Will kill you."

Be Prepared. Boondock in the wilderness...expect some 4 legged creatures. A pocket knife, slipknot and some tinfoil.....not gonna save ya.
I do a lot of hiking.. With friends.. I usually just carry a nice sturdy walking stick. Do not need anything else to deal with wildlife.. If I see a bear, I do not need to fight it or outrun it. I just need to outrun you,!

I'm just kidding of course.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #49

I debated over and over whether I should carry a weapon in my RV I decided not carry one because the rules in the states are all different and I don’t want to go to jail because I don’t have this permit or that license after I pulled the gun and used it.
santarich is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #50

When boondocking a weapon is a must. Remember it isnt only humans you have to worry about. There are wild animals out there....lions tigers bears.
fredoe61 is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #51

We have been boondocking and backpacking most of our lives. We only carry a gun when hunting, otherwise, we feel no need to carry one.

Have never had any of our camps vandalized in any way. So we are either lucky or just camp in safer areas
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #52

Generally speaking Boondocking would be a safe thing.

That said, just wonder how many of you keep a Fire Extinguisher in your RV, Truck, Home. How about a Tire jack, can of fix a flat or a roadside help insurance policy?

I have used roadside help less times than I have had to use a gun in life (NOT counting combat time).

Killed 3 snakes in the house, 2 rattlers, 1 water moc and a rattle snake went back out the open door on the patio before I could get my gun. This was over 3 homes in 3 different parts of the country and 2 of them were inside the city limits of San Antonio and Dallas...

Where I live now, the average response time for a 911 call is 21-23 min...when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Buy a gun, get a concealed carry license, go to a range and practice, keep it in a place where you can get at it in seconds. I grew up with guns, got my first one at age 5, single shot .22. Do not buy into the crap about kids and guys and lock guns in a safe. If you lock it in a safe then don't bother or waste time and money.

Teach your children well: Before the age of 5 I KNEW: What a rattlesnake, water moc and copperhead was and to stay away, tell mom or dad, what a gun was and the damage it could do, I also knew how to swim. Country boy can survive...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #53

We have only done boondocking this year and I always seen to think about this in the middle of the night. We have 3 big dogs, which wouldn’t stop some whack job, but might get them thinking. Sometimes I put the firewood axe inside the camper. I always lock the camper door. Can always get a gun and pack it just be aware of laws in different states.
Woody1959 is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #54

About 6 months ago 2 people were killed at a RV park at lake of the ozarks in Missouri. They were the camp host. The guy that did it was mad because he got kicked from the property. I carry with me every time I go camping.
Peprice is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #55

And the fear mongering to 'prove' a point begins.........
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #56
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Same holds true for the people who will swear nothing can ever happen.. No one ever complains about that.

Heres my take, go out and camp. Enjoy the time. If your that worried stay in a CG. Be smart, pay attention to your area you are staying and enjoy... And if your camping where Grizzles live, don't sleep in a tent wrapped in t-bones!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #57

No fear of lions and tigers where we stay and an extremely a small chance of bears
santarich is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Generally speaking Boondocking would be a safe thing.

That said, just wonder how many of you keep a Fire Extinguisher in your RV, Truck, Home. How about a Tire jack, can of fix a flat or a roadside help insurance policy?

I have used roadside help less times than I have had to use a gun in life (NOT counting combat time).

Killed 3 snakes in the house, 2 rattlers, 1 water moc and a rattle snake went back out the open door on the patio before I could get my gun. This was over 3 homes in 3 different parts of the country and 2 of them were inside the city limits of San Antonio and Dallas...

Where I live now, the average response time for a 911 call is 21-23 min...when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Buy a gun, get a concealed carry license, go to a range and practice, keep it in a place where you can get at it in seconds. I grew up with guns, got my first one at age 5, single shot .22. Do not buy into the crap about kids and guys and lock guns in a safe. If you lock it in a safe then don't bother or waste time and money.

Teach your children well: Before the age of 5 I KNEW: What a rattlesnake, water moc and copperhead was and to stay away, tell mom or dad, what a gun was and the damage it could do, I also knew how to swim. Country boy can survive...
Oh, those were the days. Where have we gone?[emoji22]
100% agreement
MGMV is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
It's not fear mongering, I carry when camping, The DW, the dog (golden retriever) and I were in a national forest in Colorado back in the mountains, both the DW and I had our carry guns on us with hollow points, we thought we should be good to go, while out walking we had a bear encounter, he charged us, let me tell you when you hear the grunting and see the bear charging you realize you probably don't have the right protection, I now carry a .44 magnum and the wife carries a .357 magnum (both revolvers), never again will I go thru that, I also told the DW we are getting bear spray, up until that point I was never worried about it. Luckily the bear quit charging and we didn't get attacked, I don't ever want to use the firearm if I don't have to but at least I have a fighting chance with it, against the 4 or 2 legged vermin.
wildcatter is offline   Reply
Old 10-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #60
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
It's not fear mongering, I carry when camping, The DW, the dog (golden retriever) and I were in a national forest in Colorado back in the mountains, both the DW and I had our carry guns on us with hollow points, we thought we should be good to go, while out walking we had a bear encounter, he charged us, let me tell you when you hear the grunting and see the bear charging you realize you probably don't have the right protection, I now carry a .44 magnum and the wife carries a .357 magnum (both revolvers), never again will I go thru that, I also told the DW we are getting bear spray, up until that point I was never worried about it. Luckily the bear quit charging and we didn't get attacked, I don't ever want to use the firearm if I don't have to but at least I have a fighting chance with it, against the 4 or 2 legged vermin.
Its all fun and games until you are no longer the top of the food chain!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
boondocking, safety