RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 57
Champion 4650 inverter generator

Any reviews on this? Lowes has for 779
__________________
Bluetick1955


2015 Cherokee 264L Limited
Bluetick1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick1955 View Post
Any reviews on this? Lowes has for 779

Looks too new to have any real world reviews. First time I've seen it. IMHO it's starting to look a little noisy at 61 dBA compared to Honda's 3000i at 50 - 57 dBA or Predator 3500 at 57 dBA.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 23,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick1955 View Post
Any reviews on this? Lowes has for 779
Please provide a link to this generator.
If it is rated at 61db, I don't consider that as "quiet" for an inverter generator. The Honda 3000i is rated for 52 or 53db, which is as quiet as inverter generators can get.
That Champion is almost 10db louder, which in a logarithmic scale, is way louder. And I'm a fan and owner of Champion products.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,341
I personally would pass on this unit based on noise alone.

Instead I'd opt for two Champion 2500 watt inverter generators and a parallel kit. Only 53 Dba.

if your RV only has 30 amp service then you really won't benefit from the higher output. If you do have 50 amp service the two 2500 Watt units will provide both MORE power and the parallel kit will very likely have a 50 amp receptacle. The 4650 is only 30 amp.

Advantage of running two smaller units is that you don't have to run them both at the same time. If only charging batteries or running the microwave occasionally run one and save fuel.

Did I mention less weight to lift at one time?
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 57
Not going to spend $ for Honda. Still leery of Predator. Is the diff of 57Dba to 61 that great?


Charts show normal conversation is 60-70 dba
__________________
Bluetick1955


2015 Cherokee 264L Limited
Bluetick1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick1955 View Post
Not going to spend $ for Honda. Still leery of Predator. Is the diff of 57Dba to 61 that great?


Charts show normal conversation is 60-70 dba

Me either. That's why I went with Predator. They have pretty much worked out the engine surging issue they had a couple years ago. I like mine, starts usually on the second pull. It has electric start but, I think the cheap battery is the issue. I'm going to invest in a premium AGM for it and see.

I don't understand the algorithm of the dBA scale but, I've heard that there is a significant difference in even 1 point.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:47 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Me either. That's why I went with Predator. They have pretty much worked out the engine surging issue they had a couple years ago. I like mine, starts usually on the second pull. It has electric start but, I think the cheap battery is the issue. I'm going to invest in a premium AGM for it and see.

I don't understand the algorithm of the dBA scale but, I've heard that there is a significant difference in even 1 point.



I have 15k AC will predator run?
__________________
Bluetick1955


2015 Cherokee 264L Limited
Bluetick1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 13,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick1955 View Post
I have 15k AC will predator run?
What size Predator are you asking about?

You'll need at least their 3500w model (or larger) or two smaller ones paralleled.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=15
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 20,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What size Predator are you asking about?

You'll need at least their 3500w model (or larger) or two smaller ones paralleled.
Well.... I made it work on a Honda 2000 generator without any kind of soft starts. I just had to turn off all of the other breakers in the camper AND the generator flashed "overload" at times.

But it worked. I mean, I did add a second generator pretty quickly.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're settlin' down for a spell
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick1955 View Post
I have 15k AC will predator run?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What size Predator are you asking about?

You'll need at least their 3500w model (or larger) or two smaller ones paralleled.

Yes. The Predator 3500 will run a 15k A/C....I've done it, along with Tv's, satellite receivers, surround sound, residential fridge, lights etc. during a summer storm power outage.

I wouldn't try the microwave or another A/C though. Micro would be OK if you turned off the A/C first.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,480
I understand why some folks won't spend the $$$ on Hondas. But to others, it is worth it. Mine are now 14 years old and get used a lot.
From friend's experiences in my camping group, Predator is the last generator I would consider.
Champion would be my second choice after Honda. Just ensure it's a quiet inverter.
Also be aware most brands, other than Honda, do NOT have a fuel pump, so hooking up extended run tanks becomes a project.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Also be aware most brands, other than Honda, do NOT have a fuel pump, so hooking up extended run tanks becomes a project.
For the record, the Honda fuel pump can be rather easily added to generator engines not equipped with one from the factory. The Honda pump is a diaphragm type pump operated by "pressure pulses" from the crankcase and cost less than $20 on Amazon.

Go-Cart racers have been adding these for years to their 4-stroke engines and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how.

Add the pump and a 3-way valve for a fraction of the cost difference in generators.

Just saying.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
For the record, the Honda fuel pump can be rather easily added to generator engines not equipped with one from the factory. The Honda pump is a diaphragm type pump operated by "pressure pulses" from the crankcase and cost less than $20 on Amazon.

Go-Cart racers have been adding these for years to their 4-stroke engines and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how.

Add the pump and a 3-way valve for a fraction of the cost difference in generators.

Just saying.
Interesting. I'll have to let my Honda-less friends know about this and see if one of them wants to experiment with this project It does amaze me how many folks buy a nurse tank for their generator and are surprised when it doesn't work......... which is why I usually mention it. Plus I'm a Honda snob
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Interesting. I'll have to let my Honda-less friends know about this and see if one of them wants to experiment with this project It does amaze me how many folks buy a nurse tank for their generator and are surprised when it doesn't work......... which is why I usually mention it. Plus I'm a Honda snob
Here's one video showing it being added to a go-cart 4-stroke engine.



The key is routing the pressure/vacuum pulses from the crankcase to the pump. One is to drill and tap the crankcase in a location that the splashed oil doesn't flood the pump and the other is to make the tap in the rocker cover, behind a baffle.

Every engine has it's own "best way" but most are pretty much clones of Honda engines so very doable.

In the video the guy's purpose was to improve fuel flow to the carb but same principle applies when trying to draw fuel from a reserve tank.

On my dual fuel Champion adding the 3-way fuel valve might be problematic but if i want long run times I can just "Parallel" a couple propane tanks and get up to 30 hours run time (before hitting the onboard tank(s)) and still have another 10 hours in the gasoline tank.


BTW, and for the record-----I own a Honda Lawnmower.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator, inverter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.