Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #1

Champion Dual Fuel 2400 W Inverter

So, I thought I would start here in Boondocking before going to the Electrical forum.

'22 WW 171RBXL. Hershey PA.

We go back and forth between Denver-ish and home 4-5 times per year to see the grandkids. Used to set up in campgrounds along the way but with this new TT we can boondock on the way to and from.

Looking at the Champion 2400 dual fuel to help us keep the battery up to speed and run some stuff when we stop for the night. I know it will not run the AC. I like the size and weight of the unit, and the price. Would be using it with Propane mostly.

We use 12v fans and a CPAP with 12v converter. Looking for the ability to use the Keurig if needed along with keeping the fridge cold.

We did a trip over Memorial Day week. Left Hershey at 78, was 94 in Kansas and then of course snow outside of Denver. Battery did well both ways but I want to have the ability to keep it charged and be able to use other stuff.

I plan to get a lot of weekends going where we go to festivals and venues where we would boondock 1 -2 nights.

Also, we keep the TT in a storage yard so I would plan to use it to charge batteries after a boondock weekend and pre cool the fridge before a trip.

Will this do the job?

Thanks in advance for your collective thoughts.
CJS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #2

Which model Champion 2400?

Any of the Champion Dual fuel Inverter generators should do what you want. They have a low noise level and a fairly long run time. You don't want an open frame one because they are too noisy.
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...er=traditional
Don't think it'll do the Keurig though.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #3

User TitanMike has a lot experience with his Champion. Use the advanced search for the word Champion with posts by TitanMike and you will find much good info quickly.

Definitely stick with an inverter model.
Rick the Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:22 PM   #4

HI there and thanks for the reply. Looking at it in Bass Pro Shop. They say it is model 201047.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:32 PM   #5
Open Space Wanted

I've had my eye on these in case I decide to venture out further west but holding off for now. May want to look at the price difference between them, the slightly smaller footprint, lighter (11 lb.) and of course the 100W difference. I'm also interested in propane only use since I don't think I'd go through a 20 lb. tank for some years with our usage. Hopefully you don't have to put oil in it and keep up with maintaining that when it would be something I'd rarely use. I'm low maintenance and got into the wrong world...should have kept to tent camping.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:31 AM   #6

Thanks for the info, I too was looking at the 2500 on WalMart's site. Just need to decide which one now.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #7

All these 2400/2500 Champion Inverter/Generators are so close that either one will do. We have a larger version and you do have to put oil in it, but it looks easy to change.
Now if you decide you need more power, Champion makes a parallel kit so that you can connect two of them.
This is not a recommendation, it shows what the kit looks like. They now have a parallel kit that will output for a 50amp rv.
https://smile.amazon.com/Champion-Po...s%2C127&sr=8-9
Old 07-11-2022, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
All these 2400/2500 Champion Inverter/Generators are so close that either one will do. We have a larger version and you do have to put oil in it, but it looks easy to change.
Now if you decide you need more power, Champion makes a parallel kit so that you can connect two of them.
This is not a recommendation, it shows what the kit looks like. They now have a parallel kit that will output for a 50amp rv.
https://smile.amazon.com/Champion-Po...s%2C127&sr=8-9
I have the 2500 w model which weighs 39 lbs. Strange the 2400 w unit which is for all practical purposes the same other than output rating would have a different weight rating.

I really like mine and it will run my 13,500 btu A/C even though I bought it for cooler season battery charging only. I also bought the 50 amp parallel kit that I can use alongside my 3500 w Champion Inverter generator for backup power to my house.

Note: Yes, one can connect two different sized Champion Inverter generators in parallel. The two of mine provide 6,000 watts (peak) and feed a 6,000 watt transfer switch/panel in my house.

No more "power out" anxieties

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:43 AM   #9

I have two 2500 Dual Fuel Champion generators. Love them, light and quiet. Remember that if you are using propane you will lose some running and starting watts.
Robotics Team Coach
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH
2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel
jdunkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:17 AM   #10

Works well; easily transportable

I bought one (thanks for the advice, Titan Mike) prior to a boondocking weekend at Clifty Falls SP in IN.

Our model is #100899

I like the safety of stowing a 20lb propane tank in the storage area vs a tank of gasoline.

I have yet to install a soft start, but the genny will run our 13.5 BTU a/c.

I didn't fire up the cab motor or Onan generator in the park due to noise considerations.

2014 Sunseeker 3050s
2011 Ford Fiesta
RBotr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #11

I just got a Champion 2500 duel fuel for our E-Pro 19bh. It has a 13,500 btu AC unit on it and I had it working for 4 hours the other day with the generator. It wasn't terribly hot, around 90, but it did cycle. It also handled the 12 volt fridge running cooling it from completely warm. I don't think it will handle much more though. I really wanted a generator to supplement our solar in shady camp sites and it will more than do that.

I wanted to use the propane supply for the BBQ on the camper and did some research. The regulator on the camper and the one supplied by Champion are essentially the same so you need to detach the regulator from the flow valve on the Champion system. I've read that they can be tough to get off and both the Champion regulator fittings looked like they had red loctite on them. That takes around 500 degrees of heat to loosen up but as it turned out.....the regulator came off easily.

All that is needed is a 1/4" male 3/8" flare quick connect fitting and a 3/8" flare to 1/4" FIP adapter to attach to the flow valve. Works like a charm. I do have a second, OEM regulator/flow vale set from Champion if I have to connect directly to a lp tank. I also ordered an lp extension hose so I can move the generator to the back of the camper if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator Quick Connect Camper.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	277550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator Camper.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	277551  
ScottMn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM   #12

You may not need the regulator. The propane is already down to the correct pressure when coming from the trailer like that.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #13
Retired Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
You may not need the regulator. The propane is already down to the correct pressure when coming from the trailer like that.

That is not a regulator, it’s a flow value, kinda like a carburetor.
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
You did not actually read the opening post, did you?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, inverter