Old 02-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #1

Finding a Boondock Spot

We're looking to do some boondocking this summer and was just wondering if anyone had any resources to find great boondocking sites across the spectrum of availability (BLM, National Forest, National Wilderness Areas, state land, etc.)? Looking for resources on finding specific sites, not just "You'll love XYZ National Forest!" And yes, I realize that may suggest a bit of a contradiction in asking for help to find a site that no one else has found!
We're focused on the West and Northwest, mountains and forests, hiking opportunities, don't need fishing - looking for drive in sites (Class A DP, so no four wheel drive adventures . . . yet) where we can just set up camp away from everything and everybody and hang out/hike for a week at a time.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #2

I have never encountered a listing of boondocking sites most of the folks I know that have good spots keep that information close to their vests. that type of camping does not lend itself well to the Class A rig due to the tight roads and nature of the northwest (i'm mainly speaking of Idaho) backroads. BLM and state parks may be your best bet. JMHO

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #3

Haha - agreed, it's like that quaint little out of the way coffee shop you love that gets listed on some viral listing of "greatest quaint little out of the way coffee shops" and then next time you show up, it's packed like a Starbucks!!
Also agreed on the Class A issue. That's why I was looking for some input of some Class A owners that have maybe found the secret to success (i.e., how to find those spots, not necessarily "their" favorite spot . . .). At 34 feet, I'm willing to be "adventurous", but I'm trying to avoid going 3 miles down a dirt road on a blind bet only to find I can't make the last 1/4 mile to that perfect site I've located on Google maps satellite.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #4

Or what the hell - you can PM me your favorite spot and the dates you'll be there and I promise to black out those dates!!! (I'll go there before and leave you a stack of firewood!)

Old 02-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #5

Benchmark Maps are pretty good for finding some spots. Another thing to do is to use Google Earth for the place you find and see if it is a good fit for your rig.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
Haha - agreed, it's like that quaint little out of the way coffee shop you love that gets listed on some viral listing of "greatest quaint little out of the way coffee shops" and then next time you show up, it's packed like a Starbucks!!
Also agreed on the Class A issue. That's why I was looking for some input of some Class A owners that have maybe found the secret to success (i.e., how to find those spots, not necessarily "their" favorite spot . . .). At 34 feet, I'm willing to be "adventurous", but I'm trying to avoid going 3 miles down a dirt road on a blind bet only to find I can't make the last 1/4 mile to that perfect site I've located on Google maps satellite.
One of the big reason I switched from a Class A to the Travel Trailer was out of the way camping sites. I was always afraid of tearing a sidewall with the Class A on some of the backroads which I don't even consider a problem with the TT or a problem I can easily take care of. Good Luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Benchmark Maps are pretty good for finding some spots. Another thing to do is to use Google Earth for the place you find and see if it is a good fit for your rig.
Yup, I have no problem in doing this and actually enjoy that part a lot (in fact my wife says I take three trips for each one of ours: the trip you plan, the trip you actually take, and the trip you remember), the problem is finding that needle in a haystack so you know the actual site (and access roads) to zoom in on.
I've used the Benchmark Maps but, again, they're a lot more helpful once you've figured out your site!
(Someone on this forum has a signature line that says, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there" - which, conceptually, I love, but to SeaDog's point, I don't want to rip out a side wall getting there!!)
I realize this is a tough ask . . .
Old 02-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
We're focused on the West and Northwest, mountains and forests, hiking opportunities, don't need fishing - looking for drive in sites (Class A DP, so no four wheel drive adventures . . . yet) where we can just set up camp away from everything and everybody and hang out/hike for a week at a time.
Off the grid, you're probably looking at BLM or National Forest. Probably National Forest since you specified hiking and forest.

RVLifestyle has a good article on the subject and lists of websites and apps to help here https://rvlifestyle.com/apps-website...ndocking-spot/

I'd personally suggest that you put that rig in a campground. Lots of National Forest campgrounds have space and they are pretty reasonable.
Start with www.recreation.gov. To find specific sites, find the campground, then look for the 'View by Site list. Most will show you the map of the campground and a picture of the campsite.

Good luck and let us know where you end up.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #9

I've had good luck using this site

https://freecampsites.net/
Old 02-02-2020, 02:32 PM   #10

Sounds like you need a Jeep Liberty TOAD
Old 02-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Sounds like you need a Jeep Liberty TOAD
Phase 2!! (although we're looking at a Cherokee or a Wrangler)
Old 02-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #12

https://www.campendium.com/ has masses of boondocking locations, and by far the most comprehensive reviews about site conditions, access roads and cell signal levels. Sign up for an account and make a small donation ($10 would do), and you get extra stuff like public land overlays on the maps.

I've been using campendium exclusively for my 3 years of full-time boondocking.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #13

Take a look at boondockerswelcome.com and harvesthosts.com. Both have small membership dues but they are excellent resources. Highly recommended.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
We're looking to do some boondocking this summer ... looking for drive in sites where we can just set up camp away from everything and everybody and hang out/hike for a week at a time.
Seems like a good time to make this observation. I have always thought that is such an irony that the best-equipped RV for boondocking is a class A or Super C (large holding tanks, large freshwater capacity and an on-board generator) yet they're the most difficult to access a good boondocking spot that's not open terrain (think desert). Another of life's inequities I guess.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Seems like a good time to make this observation. I have always thought that is such an irony that the best-equipped RV for boondocking is a class A or Super C (large holding tanks, large freshwater capacity and an on-board generator) yet they're the most difficult to access a good boondocking spot that's not open terrain (think desert). Another of life's inequities I guess.
Haha - EXACTLY the irony/inequity I'm trying to address!! I know there HAS to be some options (obviously much more limited options than for campers and high-clearance trailers, but options nonetheless) where a Class A can drive a couple of miles down a dirt road and then find a turn off to a site a hundred yards or so off that road. Not talking about four-wheeling that last hundred yards, but it doesn't have to be paved either!!

C'mon Boondocking Gods - time to deliver!
Old 02-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #16
Director, FROG

Have you looked at recreation.gov or BLM.gov?

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #17

Smile

We have a TT (33 ft) and we like small federal campgrounds. Spaces are usually easy to get into. Water available and vault toilets. Have to research though as some are knarly and not suitable for what you want. Good travels.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #18
Dahagen

In many national forests and on BLM land you can boondock unless it is posted "No Camping". An example, in Idaho along Highway 21 in the Boise National Forest along the South Fork of the Payette River boondocking is allowed along any turn-off not posted otherwise. Just don't make new roads. The highway is paved so the camping is easy for even big class A's. Check it out, Seadog.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #19

Try freeroam.app. That is the website and they have android an iOS apps.
dvcamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Have you looked at recreation.gov or BLM.gov?
Yup, and those are great once you figure out, generally, where you want to go. Once I have a campground or general area sorted out, then I don't mind pouring over websites and Google Earth to research a spot. It's the narrowing it down part I'm having trouble with!!