Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker;143399by0
Everyone has their stories.
I have 10-12 small engine, pieces of equipment. None Honda or Yamaha.
They all run perfect and have so for years.

I recently sold an open frame/contractor type generator to a co-worker that I bought brand new in 1970. Briggs & Stratton engine. It has been a work horse. I'd hate to guess the number of hundreds of hours of use. Sat out in the rain, snow and cold many nights and chugged along.

When I sold it to the guy, I told him the price and offered if it didn't start on the FIRST pull, he could have it for $50 less. He jumped at the chance but is $50 poorer.
You are correct, everyone has their stories. Let me expand my "story". I live in the country and own equipment with Briggs engines. My roto tiller is a hundred years old but has not been trouble free! I worked at a power product dealership for 21 years. Fact is, Yamaha and Honda power products ARE superior in the long run, just like a John Deere garden tractor is superior to Husqvarna or anything Mtd. But like I said, for limited use I wouldn't spend the money on Yamaha or Honda.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #42

My generator instructions recommend exercising the generator monthly so I don't drain the gasoline. I also use Sta-bil. Most people that I've talked to about the gasoline they use in small engines tell me marine gas has no ethanol and keeps their equipment out of the shop. They don't mind paying the extra buck per gallon. If you insist on draining it, draining the carb bowl, as mentioned before, after running "dry" is a must to prevent gum up. My 2 cents.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #43

The generator issue was only one reason we moved from a travel trailer to a motor home. The motor home, to me, is just more convenient. Of course now we're debating renting vs buying a toad since neither of our present vehicles can be flat towed but that's another thread.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #44

Back to the original post, you'll probably appreciate the quietness of an inverter generator and your electronics will thank you for the clean power. Just read the reviews on the models you're considering.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
My generator instructions recommend exercising the generator monthly so I don't drain the gasoline. I also use Sta-bil. Most people that I've talked to about the gasoline they use in small engines tell me marine gas has no ethanol and keeps their equipment out of the shop. They don't mind paying the extra buck per gallon. If you insist on draining it, draining the carb bowl, as mentioned before, after running "dry" is a must to prevent gum up. My 2 cents.
Keep in mind there are TWO Stabil formula's. The original RED formula and the newer BLUE made for ethanol gas storage that provides a much longer storage interval before phase separation (which is when the alcohol separates from the gasoline and forms the carb clogging gum and destroys fuel lines.

Always use the BLUE not the RED. The BLUE costs more but will provide a better experience.

Also keep in mind that Stabil RED or BLUE has a definite shelf life after opening so an old, on the shelf bottle of Stabil that has sat around for a couple years won't provide any protection from phase separation at all.

Little FYI.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #46

Thanks. I wasn't aware there are 2 kinds and will be sure any future purchase is BLUE!
Old 03-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #47

The red formula is for long term fuel storage and works on ethanol fuel, even E85.

The marine formula counteracts the damage that can be done by ethanol fuel and is designed to be used in every tank.

Here's the facts: https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil-faqs
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #48
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
Back to the original post, you'll probably appreciate the quietness of an inverter generator and your electronics will thank you for the clean power. Just read the reviews on the models you're considering.
May also want to review the Boliy gen as it is cheaper than a Honda and sbpoy is rated at 3600 watt start up and will run anything you have. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-6 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #49

Honda's have fuel pumps, which means you can easily add a nurse tank. Most other brands don't have a fuel pump and need a fairly complicated mod to use an extended run tank, or you have to use the gravity method (tank higher than the gen) that can also be a pain.

Just another factor to be aware of.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The red formula is for long term fuel storage and works on ethanol fuel, even E85.

The marine formula counteracts the damage that can be done by ethanol fuel and is designed to be used in every tank.

Here's the facts: https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil-faqs
The 'Facts' according to the manufacturer. I'd take all of them with a grain of salt. No manufacturer will downplay their own product, totally against profit and perpetuation of a product.

So facts? Maybe, but then maybe not.

I read on RV news about how FR is constantly improving QC on their products but I don't see that playing on on this site. Same applies to Stabil and it's manufacturer.

Not facts, opinion of the manufacturer only. If you scroll down through the Q&A you'll find a question concerning Startron (which I don't use) but the answer was 'politically correct' and nothing else... IOW, sidestepping the question.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #51

These are my 11 year old Honda's in use with a 6 gallon nurse tank for this week at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170307_095009.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	131308  
Old 03-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The 'Facts' according to the manufacturer. I'd take all of them with a grain of salt. No manufacturer will downplay their own product, totally against profit and perpetuation of a product.

So facts? Maybe, but then maybe not.

I read on RV news about how FR is constantly improving QC on their products but I don't see that playing on on this site. Same applies to Stabil and it's manufacturer.

Not facts, opinion of the manufacturer only. If you scroll down through the Q&A you'll find a question concerning Startron (which I don't use) but the answer was 'politically correct' and nothing else... IOW, sidestepping the question.
Well flip, if you don't accept the manufacturers explanation of their products, I guess you can believe whatever makes sense to you
Old 03-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #53

Need a generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hello!

We recently purchased our first travel trailer. It's a Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S (13,500 BTU AC).

We plan to go on approximately 3-4 trips per year where we will not have access to electric hookups.

Those trips will be 2-3 nights long each.

What is your best recommendation for a generator for us? I hate to purchase something super expensive and unnecessary for very infrequent trips where we won't have hookups. However, I don't want to regret a purchase either

Thanks for your recommendations,

Erica
I know the original question was for a generator, but is it even needed in this case?

If you have a couple of decent batteries, don't need the AC, and are careful with usage, 2-3 nights on battery power should be possible without recharging.

Maybe borrow or rent one, just in case, and try not to use It. Then decide if you still want to spend the money on one.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #54

Everyone has their favorite gennys you know your budget so would look under inverter gens then research the one you picked and see if that's the one for you. We picked the boly 3600si it is an inverter gen that will power everything except two AC's at the same time and it cost me $999. It weighs 71lbs dry and 98lbs full of gas have used 4 years without problems. Good luck on your research.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #55
Go Pak

Hi, you can get this 3100 watt inverter with wireless remote start shipped free to your door for the price of one 2000 watt honda. Wake up in the morning and press the fob and maybe hear the generator start because it's so quiet but rest assured it starts because all champs start first pull every time.

Chanpion 3100w wireless remote start inverter generator

If you for go the electric start this one is way cheaper than the ridiculously over priced red again free shipping.

Champion 3100w inverter generator.

- Jeff
Old 05-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Hi, you can get this 3100 watt inverter with wireless remote start shipped free to your door for the price of one 2000 watt honda. Wake up in the morning and press the fob and maybe hear the generator start because it's so quiet but rest assured it starts because all champs start first pull every time.

If you for go the electric start this one is way cheaper than the ridiculously over priced red again free shipping.

- Jeff
Now that's just a funny post!!! LOL!!! Now do some research about the champion carb cough
Old 05-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:

- Jeff
Both models have been posted at much lower prices.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #58

Quote:

- Jeff
X2 on the champions . never any issues and the remote start is great starts up first time every time . same with the pull starts one pull and go for the most part i have had to pull twice once in a blue moon . since i have 2 champions one remote start that i use when dry camping 3400 watt and one i bring with as a back up for power outages 2000 watt inverter . depends on where i'll be .
can't go wrong with the champions
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hello!

We recently purchased our first travel trailer. It's a Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S (13,500 BTU AC).

We plan to go on approximately 3-4 trips per year where we will not have access to electric hookups.

Those trips will be 2-3 nights long each.

What is your best recommendation for a generator for us? I hate to purchase something super expensive and unnecessary for very infrequent trips where we won't have hookups. However, I don't want to regret a purchase either

Thanks for your recommendations,

Erica

Erika

Congrats on the RV! We have the exact same one and have loved every single trip.

Not sure if you have already made your gene purchase but I will provide my perspective. I am female and manage everything involving the RV pretty much solo with my 11 yo daughter.

We dry camp frequently for travel ball. We have two 2000 Hondas running in parallel with a 10 gallon reserve fuel supply tank. Between Friday evening and Sunday late afternoon the reserve tank gets filled twice... after arriving and again sat evening. Yes, love that tank!

We picked the Hondas because
1) they are quiet and easy to sleep with next to the RV
2) I can move them! They each weigh about 40lbs so I can manage them solo
3) they are unbelievably easy to start
4) Reliability! They are know to be work horses

MY TV is a 2016 Tahoe. I stow the gene's in the doorway of the RV for traveling. The reserve fuel tank is always empty for traveling and goes on a rack we installed in the back bumper.

Hope this is helpful....

Happy camping!!!!!
Kintu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintu2 View Post
Erika

We dry camp frequently for travel ball. We have two 2000 Hondas running in parallel with a 10 gallon reserve fuel supply tank. Between Friday evening and Sunday late afternoon the reserve tank gets filled twice... after arriving and again sat evening. Yes, love that tank!
Do you also have gas in the generators tanks also along with the 10 gallon reserve tank? Over 20 gallons in a little less than 2 days. Didn't realize they used so much gas.

Tags
3500, 500, generator, lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite