Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Do you also have gas in the generators tanks also along with the 10 gallon reserve tank? Over 20 gallons in a little less than 2 days. Didn't realize they used so much gas.
They don't use much fuel, unless you run them both 24 hours a day, which sounds like she (Erica) does.

We run ours about 5 hours a day (usually just one at a time) to recharge 2 batteries and watch TV. We use 7-11 gallons a week. Double that if you run both for the A/C. And Honda's have an internal fuel pump so you can use an external nurse tank. Most other brands have to be modified to use a nurse tank (fuel is gravity fed).
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Do you also have gas in the generators tanks also along with the 10 gallon reserve tank? Over 20 gallons in a little less than 2 days. Didn't realize they used so much gas.

Checked with my hubs and I was mistaken... the reserve is 5 gallons. [emoji15]

Yes the Hondas do run constantly from Friday late afternoon to Sunday mid-afternoon. We are typically camping at a softball field in South Carolina and the RV has been a great place to gather and cool the girls down between games. We even have a mom nursing an infant and it is a perfect refuge for her and her son to escape the 90+ degree temps.

Also, during the night hours I run the AC with the fan on constantly to function as white noise so I burn a bit more fuel for that added comfort. When we wake up I switch it back to the "auto" fan setting.

Hope that clarifies the fuel issue. [emoji16]
Kintu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #63
Grammar Pedant

First of all, as mentioned, you need an inverter generator. Many options out there, but they'll run between $600 - $3,000, depending on size, brand, features, etc. You can google the difference between conventional and inverter generators, but one of the differences is that the inverters are quieter.

Notice that that is a relative term. It is not an absolute term! Too many people keep stating that their honda/yamaha/[pick your favorite brand] generator is quiet. No. There are two kinds of people in the world: those that own quiet generators and those that have to sit around listening to those quiet generators. And, for a variety of reasons (not necessarily nefarious), most generators are on the other side of the trailer, away from the users' campsites. So, again, they seem super quiet to the user, since the noise is pointed away from them or blocked by their own RV.

I will get and use an inverter generator. So, I'm not bashing their use. But, quit fooling yourselves. They're all louder than the peace and quiet of the outdoors. We all have to listen to generators in campgrounds. None of them are so quiet as to not be noticeable.

Without load, these quiet generators are listed at around 60 db. In reality, they'll be a tad louder. So, with any load, it's going to be like a loud, monotonous conversation or an automobile driving at low speeds (~30 MPH). With a heavy load (A/C, microwave, 1500W heater, etc), it's going to sound like a small lawnmower or vacuum cleaner. Not quiet. Ever. So, as long as you're willing to be "that guy," then proceed. Again, I'm planning on getting/using a generator. I'm not bashing them; I'm advocating an honest appreciation for what they are and what they do.

From there, it comes down to use. There are the items of use -- how many devices and what the electrical demands of those devices are. The OP mentioned A/C, which is probably the most challenging device you can attempt to power -- it not only consumes a lot of power, but it also takes a massive amount to get it started (google capacitors).

If you're only camping 2-3 days, how badly do you need A/C, microwaves, etc.? It depends on lots of factors. For me, I'm in the high altitude of the Rocky Mtns, so I can get by. So, I just camp with a good marine/storage battery power for lights, furnace, etc. If I was camping in south Alabama, I may feel much differently!

That brings up ratings. A 2000 Watt generator doesn't produce 2000 Watts. It probably produces 1,800 watts or some other smaller number ... with the capability of occasionally reaching the peak/max rating. So, pay attention to the nominal power output of the generator, not the peak rating. Use that to size what is appropriate. If you must have 2,000 watts, then you probably need a 2400 watt generator; a 2000 watt rated generator will not be sufficient to power a load requiring 2000 watts of power.

And, finally, altitude. When I run my generator at 8,500 feet, I'm not going to get the same performance and power as someone running the same exact generator camping at Long Beach, Washington. So, if my A/C needs 2,000 watts, then I might need a 2,800 Watt generator at altitude.

So, as I shop around, I keep coming back to Champion -- it makes a 3400/3100 and a 3500/3200 which are attractive for A/C. Aside from the occasional lemon (which you'll find in every brand of every product), the reviews are quite good and on par with what I see from H & Y. The sound rating is 1-3 db higher than Honda and Yamaha. But, as mentioned, this doesn't actually matter -- they're all loud, they're all noisy, they all will bother neighbors about the same.

Honda and Yamaha are amazing generators. But at >2x the price, I don't see commensurate performance or quality ... the value is Champion for me.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
at >2x the price, I don't see commensurate performance or quality ... the value is Champion for me.

Good luck.
X2

- jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #65

Champions are good generators for the price. Several of my camping buddies have them. But research the 'champion cough'. One friend has an extra carb so he can switch it out and clean the other. The other just buys a new genny every couple of years. But we use ours a lot more than most folks.

They also don't have internal fuel pumps, so you can't run a nurse tank w/o modifications.

But they are half the price of a Honda.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #66
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
[...] But research the 'champion cough'. One friend has an extra carb so he can switch it out and clean the other. [...]
I googled "champion cough" and got nothing.
I googled "champion generator cough" and got nothing.
I googled "champion generator carburetor" and found no systemic carb problem -- just a bunch of general carb info.

In the reviews I've read, I've seen no systematic issues with champion. Maybe I've missed something. Please include some links, as I wasn't able to locate what you were trying to highlight. Thanks.
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #67

Quote:
But, quit fooling yourselves. They're all louder than the peace and quiet of the outdoors. We all have to listen to generators in campgrounds. None of them are so quiet as to not be noticeable.
The quiet generators that I have camped around have been truly quiet and often masked by the wind in the tree leaves or the noise of the nearby brook babbling 100 yards away or maybe the lake/ocean shore waves. If you can hear many of the newer inverter-generators 150 feet away then something is wrong... that is 1/2 a football field. If you are camping closer to someone than that, well then that is a problem, but I don't visit many campgrounds without electric that are spaced that close together.

It is easy to somewhat shield the genny sound... I typically put it behind a big tree trunk, a big rock, or use four pieces of 2' x 3' pieces of rigid foam and some nails to fashion a 3 sided noise barrier with a top, with the exhaust side left open to the air and pointed away from the neighbors.

just my 2 cents

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman0109 View Post
Do not waste your money buying a cheap generator. Go with Honda inverter eu3000is or two eu2000is. I have a 3000 but it's heavy. I can't lift it by myself to put it in the back of my truck. With the 2000, you can by two and these are lighter.
Good luck!
I agree. I use 2 2000i Honda's that I can tote around at about 55 Lbs each and use the inverter cable for about 3200w all day. I sold the 3000w which only put out 2600w sustained. Was too heavy and awkward (I'm late 60s). I'M not rich but will drop the bucks for reliability and longevity (HONDA).

Part1

Setting Your Car Up For Hypermiling

If we don't need air just use 1 gens that runs microwave, coffee pot etc...
I'm not rich but will spend the bucks for the long run (HONDA).
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
First of all, as mentioned, you need an inverter generator. Many options out there, but they'll run between $600 - $3,000, depending on size, brand, features, etc. You can google the difference between conventional and inverter generators, but one of the differences is that the inverters are quieter.

Notice that that is a relative term. It is not an absolute term! Too many people keep stating that their honda/yamaha/[pick your favorite brand] generator is quiet. No. There are two kinds of people in the world: those that own quiet generators and those that have to sit around listening to those quiet generators. And, for a variety of reasons (not necessarily nefarious), most generators are on the other side of the trailer, away from the users' campsites. So, again, they seem super quiet to the user, since the noise is pointed away from them or blocked by their own RV.

I will get and use an inverter generator. So, I'm not bashing their use. But, quit fooling yourselves. They're all louder than the peace and quiet of the outdoors. We all have to listen to generators in campgrounds. None of them are so quiet as to not be noticeable.

Without load, these quiet generators are listed at around 60 db. In reality, they'll be a tad louder. So, with any load, it's going to be like a loud, monotonous conversation or an automobile driving at low speeds (~30 MPH). With a heavy load (A/C, microwave, 1500W heater, etc), it's going to sound like a small lawnmower or vacuum cleaner. Not quiet. Ever. So, as long as you're willing to be "that guy," then proceed. Again, I'm planning on getting/using a generator. I'm not bashing them; I'm advocating an honest appreciation for what they are and what they do.

From there, it comes down to use. There are the items of use -- how many devices and what the electrical demands of those devices are. The OP mentioned A/C, which is probably the most challenging device you can attempt to power -- it not only consumes a lot of power, but it also takes a massive amount to get it started (google capacitors).

If you're only camping 2-3 days, how badly do you need A/C, microwaves, etc.? It depends on lots of factors. For me, I'm in the high altitude of the Rocky Mtns, so I can get by. So, I just camp with a good marine/storage battery power for lights, furnace, etc. If I was camping in south Alabama, I may feel much differently!

That brings up ratings. A 2000 Watt generator doesn't produce 2000 Watts. It probably produces 1,800 watts or some other smaller number ... with the capability of occasionally reaching the peak/max rating. So, pay attention to the nominal power output of the generator, not the peak rating. Use that to size what is appropriate. If you must have 2,000 watts, then you probably need a 2400 watt generator; a 2000 watt rated generator will not be sufficient to power a load requiring 2000 watts of power.

And, finally, altitude. When I run my generator at 8,500 feet, I'm not going to get the same performance and power as someone running the same exact generator camping at Long Beach, Washington. So, if my A/C needs 2,000 watts, then I might need a 2,800 Watt generator at altitude.

So, as I shop around, I keep coming back to Champion -- it makes a 3400/3100 and a 3500/3200 which are attractive for A/C. Aside from the occasional lemon (which you'll find in every brand of every product), the reviews are quite good and on par with what I see from H & Y. The sound rating is 1-3 db higher than Honda and Yamaha. But, as mentioned, this doesn't actually matter -- they're all loud, they're all noisy, they all will bother neighbors about the same.

Honda and Yamaha are amazing generators. But at >2x the price, I don't see commensurate performance or quality ... the value is Champion for me.

Good luck.
I'm bored. My 2 2000i generators inverted CANNOT be heard from inside my trailer with the A/C running. So yes that's quiet. Try that with a Harbor Freight framed generator. And boondocking you usually don't have neighbors all around as in an RV park.
Keep it simple, Happy Campin.
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:17 AM   #70

https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL...100284958.html

If you haven't got one yet. I have this one and run it on propane and it runs my 13,500btu AC with a problem at all. Extremely pleased and Champions customer service is awesome if you ever have a question or problem.
znate80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by znate80 View Post
https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL...100284958.html

If you haven't got one yet. I have this one and run it on propane and it runs my 13,500btu AC with a problem at all. Extremely pleased and Champions customer service is awesome if you ever have a question or problem.
This one is a 3100 watts, they make a 3400 watts that also runs on gasoline and propane!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #72

Powering a 13500 ac Ryobi

Info on Ryobi generator and how to do it.

http://youtu.be/m8sLjIQcC8w
guardingliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #73

This generator looks like a winner. Is it heavy?
Old 10-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardingliberty View Post

Using a generator that size would be a great selling point for and old Scotty trailer that I'm refurbishing.

I haven't tried a generator that size on its new 13500 air conditioner but I start it in a similar way when only 20 amp shore power is available.

Rather than switch from fan to cool, I start it with the thermostat on the warmest setting and move it to a cooler setting once the fan is on to kick in the compressor. My reasoning being that the dual capacitor is starting both motors when I turn the switch vs only the compressor when I lower the thermostat.

Of course my method only works when the ambient temperature allows the thermostat to open on the warmest setting as indicated by a click.

With a 15 amp max output, I'd be curious if your incoming voltage drops on the Ryobi while under load and if you have any issues, once you turn the other items on, when the compressor cycles.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardingliberty View Post

Old 10-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #75

You tube video Ryobi ac start

Thanks for the info! That YouTube video was one I found and not one I made.

I’ve been considering only a light weight and ultra quiet one too.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #76

Rioby Generator

I have one Rioby 2000 that I have used for 2 years now and it is very good.
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, generator, lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite