Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #21

One more thought on inverter/generators - consider dual fuel gas/propane. I know you are a Honda fan, so you are welcome to stop here. However, there are advantages to using propane for the generators. No extra gas storage and tank filling. No varnish buildup in the carbs and lines. You probably have significant propane storage aboard already. Two Champion Dual Fuel Generators (2000/1800w) will give you 3600w on propane at 53dba and 48lbs each. And you'll save many $$$. (2 Gensets at $600ea and a $100 parallel kit is $1300 + tax at Home Depot.) Just a suggestion.
Andersen WDH
JROtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #22

Follow up question.......has anyone had any experience installing and using the Hutch Mountain tri-fuel conversion kit with the Honda 2200 generators? I’m considering using propane as the fuel source. How well does the conversion kit work? Thoughts on using propane instead of gas? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Gbasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbasko View Post
Follow up question.......has anyone had any experience installing and using the Hutch Mountain tri-fuel conversion kit with the Honda 2200 generators? I’m considering using propane as the fuel source. How well does the conversion kit work? Thoughts on using propane instead of gas? Thanks in advance for your comments.
My thoughts on propane. It is cleaner. It provides less power in the same generator as gas. You have to either bring extra 20lb tanks of propane or 5gal gas cans. They are about the same size. You will use more propane than you think.
My friends that have an onboard propane generator in their fifth wheel have to take an extra 100lb propane tank to run their heater AND generator in winter camps.
They bought a 2000 gas inverter generator to use for coffee, micro, tv, and battery charging. This saves their propane for the heater and they don't have to bring the big 100lb tank anymore. Just a 5gal gas can.
Just some real life experiences.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #24

As to the propane conversion, a person I know who had a 35' Airstream did the conversion on a pair of Honda 2000i. I don't know what brand the conversion kit was but they had a circular aluminum thing mounted to the side. He was connected to his on board propane tanks. He spent a lot of time asking others how much their generators would do and we did witness his DW storming out of the trailer on more than one occasion because she couldn't do what she wanted to do in the trailer. I think they solved the problem now as last summer they took delivery of a New Horizons 37' fifth wheel for a mere $230,000 USD with an on board gen-set. My best friend (RIP) used to say, "if you throw enough money at any problem it will go away."

Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #25

While I have an onboard 6kw diesel generator and don't have a need for an external one, years back when we first got into RVing, and bought a nicely used '13 Blackwood fifth-wheel bunkhouse, I was 'afraid' that we would somehow 'need' full 30amp service, and bought those new and expensive Honda eU2000 and Companion generators...

I never used them, and later sold them at a good discount.

While that's one 'story' about being new to RVing and the 'generator thang', I do like the idea I saw the other day: retrofit your gas generator to run on propane.
I saw a video of another RVr doing this for their off-grid camping, and it makes good sense. For the Honda models, it looks relatively easy, and can connect to a simple 15/20lb propane tank. Since most any trailer or camper has the propane tanks already, it certainly makes sense to use that instead of carrying fuel containers, especially if your tow vehicle is a diesel.

It's a interesting retro, and similar to our 'propane to electric' conversion/retro fit for our 'propane only' water heater on my son's camper. His has the 'standing pilot/manual light' variety, but he is always 'plugged in' to electricity, so retrofitting the water heater with the 'Hot Rodd' electric element was fairly easy, and no more 'propane' needed, or a 'standing pilot light' that has to be constantly 'on', although, technically, you could still use even both at the same time, if needed.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I've run 2 Honda EU2000is for 13 years. Excellent choice. The only time I run both of them is when we need A/C. The rest of the time I run a single one day, the other the next day. I just wish they had a remote start/stop
When running the 15k A/C I leave both units in eco mode and they don't run full out, so noise isn't that different than usual. They are just quiet. We have run the a/c for 24 hours a day at times during the SW summer.
We also have a 6 gallon nurse tank we use (with fuel tank cap adapters) so we never have to add fuel to the generator itself. This setup allows you to run for many days w/o fueling.
Be sure to add Stabil to fuel so you don't have to worry about running the carb dry between uses. In 13 years I never drained the fuel.
Service at least once a year. An easy DIY.
Enjoy your Hondas and Happy RVing!Attachment 228373
This guy always sums it up pretty good. You have made an excellent choice- couldn't be better- with the Hondas. You will be good to go! Have fun!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator