Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #1

Honda eu2000 has lower output on propane

I have a Honda eu2000i generator that I want to use to run the A/C on occasion when camping without hookups. This has always charged our batters and/or run our converter without any trouble but as you all know the air conditioner is another matter.

I purchased and installed an Easy Start by Micro-Air. This indeed allows me to start and run my 15k BTU AA/C on the Honda. I popped the Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit onto the Honda in hopes of having the Honda power the A/C with the onboard propane.

Well, the propane apparently has slightly less power output. The generator will only power the A/C for 3 to 5 minutes before tripping off with an overload error. Gasoline runs indefinitely.

Today is a hot mid-90’s day and I know high temps can reduce power oputput somewhat. I will try again on a cooler day...

Anyone have opinions on whether tweaking the rich/lean on the propane regulator could help get just a bit more from the Honda?
DeadSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSalmon View Post
I have a Honda eu2000i generator that I want to use to run the A/C on occasion when camping without hookups. This has always charged our batters and/or run our converter without any trouble but as you all know the air conditioner is another matter.

I purchased and installed an Easy Start by Micro-Air. This indeed allows me to start and run my 15k BTU AA/C on the Honda. I popped the Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit onto the Honda in hopes of having the Honda power the A/C with the onboard propane.

Well, the propane apparently has slightly less power output. The generator will only power the A/C for 3 to 5 minutes before tripping off with an overload error. Gasoline runs indefinitely.

Today is a hot mid-90’s day and I know high temps can reduce power oputput somewhat. I will try again on a cooler day...

Anyone have opinions on whether tweaking the rich/lean on the propane regulator could help get just a bit more from the Honda?
Propane produces 10-15% less power than gasoline in an engine.

No amount of tweaking will change that.

Larger generators work fine with large A/C units but small generators just don't have any reserve.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Propane produces 10-15% less power than gasoline in an engine.

No amount of tweaking will change that.

X2

Tags
propane