Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #1

hot spot

anyone try the Verizon 5G MiFi M1000 Hotspot?

Is it any better than just a cell phone? Does it have an external antenna? Would like to set up something to pull in as much as possible.

nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

I don't have any info or experience with 5g however I do use a verizon jet pack with great results. I'm sure one of the Tech guru will have an answer.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

RVMobileInternet.com is my go to for hotspot (and all things RV/internet) information. They have a few things ono the M1000:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/?s=M1000
Old 10-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #4

exp with the hot spots... all depends on where you are. Cant answer. I camp many places that I dont have cell service. Hotspot of no use here.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post

anyone try the Verizon 5G MiFi M1000 Hotspot?

Is it any better than just a cell phone? Does it have an external antenna? Would like to set up something to pull in as much as possible.
Looks like no it doesn't have an external antenna. Is it any better than a cell phone? Only if your cell phone is 4G. I find with with hot spots like these, if your cell phone does hot spot then go with that. If you don't have access to a cell phone hot spot then these are a good alternative. either way, this is all with the caveat that you must have cell service where you are located.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Site Team

Do some research before buying 5G products. To gain the added speed, the operating frequency was changed 5G cell sites have smaller coverage areas than 4G and currently are mostly deployed in heavily populated areas such as large cities and entertainment venues. It is going to be a while before 5G makes it to any place I want to camp.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #7

All 5G devices are backward compatible with 4G and 3G. That being said, don't bother getting a 5G device since the infrastructure won't be there for over 10 years and definitely not where you would be camping.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
All 5G devices are backward compatible with 4G and 3G. That being said, don't bother getting a 5G device since the infrastructure won't be there for over 10 years and definitely not where you would be camping.

But will I be handicapped on 3G/4G until 5G is up and running? I don't mind spending the coin for the latest technology, as long as it works. Then again I don't need to spend 2-3x as much as I should for 15% better performance.

I'm just trying to maximize my cell/datea signal as best I can without using a cell phone and thought maybe one with an external antenna?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
But will I be handicapped on 3G/4G until 5G is up and running?
Not one bit. 5G will deployed withing major cities. By the time it gets anywhere near where you would be camping, it may be 10 years from now. 5G is transmitted at millimeter wave frequencies and they get attenuated easily. MANY 5g antenna sites have to be installed. Even rural areas won't be getting these any time soon.

5G will eventually have a max bandwith of of around 950Mbs. 4G is on the order of 12 Mbs. 4G is plenty for anyone streaming video.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Not one bit. 5G will deployed withing major cities. By the time it gets anywhere near where you would be camping, it may be 10 years from now. 5G is transmitted at millimeter wave frequencies and they get attenuated easily. MANY 5g antenna sites have to be installed. Even rural areas won't be getting these any time soon.

5G will eventually have a max bandwith of of around 950Mbs. 4G is on the order of 12 Mbs. 4G is plenty for anyone streaming video.

Thanks, now if someone that has one can chime in on performance that would be great. Could only find a couple of reviews, is there a particular site that deals with this stuff where I can do more research? I don't want to spend $500.00 for a marginal increase in performance.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks, now if someone that has one can chime in on performance that would be great. Could only find a couple of reviews, is there a particular site that deals with this stuff where I can do more research? I don't want to spend $500.00 for a marginal increase in performance.
With 4G, your max speed will depend on that network you are on wherever you are. If you are the Verizon currently with your cell phone, put a Speedtest app on your phone and test it. That will be the speed of the hotspot as well. It will vary from location to location though.

Out of curiosity, where will you be camping where you need your hotspot to work? You can go on a few websites that will tell you where the nearest cell towers are.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
With 4G, your max speed will depend on that network you are on wherever you are. If you are the Verizon currently with your cell phone, put a Speedtest app on your phone and test it. That will be the speed of the hotspot as well. It will vary from location to location though.

Out of curiosity, where will you be camping where you need your hotspot to work? You can go on a few websites that will tell you where the nearest cell towers are.

I'm preparing for more travel and out of the office work, set up at the office to log into my desktop. I have an app for cell coverage, not used it yet. And do have a speed test app as well. Looking for something better than just my phone though. Would like it separate so I can use the phone while on line without issues and set up a router in the RV for other devices.