Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #1

Load on Generator

New to boondocking. I know that when I exercise my generator in the winter I need to add a load, so I turn on the TV and air conditioner.

When boondocking last weekend we used the generator to run the furnace during the night. The furnace came on infrequently, but the generator chugged away all night with basically no load. Is it bad on the generator to run for an extended time with no load? Thought about leaving the TV on, would that be sufficient? Thanks,
Ralph

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #2

I would suggest making sure that you have sufficient battery capacity to run the furnace overnight and just let it run off the batteries, no need to run the generator in that case. The furnace doesn't require 120v, it runs off 12v power.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

What Diesel said. Just wasting fuel chugging away all night with no load. Will not hurt it, just adds to the # of hours put on the engine and oil. The load to exercise the generator they speak about should be about 50% of generator capacity, and is intended to burn off any moisture in components, and to identify any issues that might pop up, so you know your generator will work when you really need it.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator