Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Not used to boondocking - want to be ready

We normally camp in Illinois or Wisconsin and all the state parks have electricity. We are going camping in either South Dakota or Colorado and most of the places we want to go are no electricity. Water is not an issue, we are used to that. I have two deep cycle marine batteries for the camper (26RLSS). Since we are going for a full week is there anything I should be really concerned for/about? Should I get a generator? Solar might be an option as well. I just have no experience for that kind of length.

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Well, marine batteries are not true deep cycle batteries.
They won't hold a charge as long as two 6v golf cart batteries will.
So, my suggestion is to get, at least, an 2000w inverter generator. Then you can recharge the batteries and run everything but the a/c.
If you want to run the a/c, then you'll need a bigger inverter generator.
Solar is great, IF you don't camp in wooded campgrounds and you aren't going to need the a/c or microwave.
Also, you'll have to do something about gray water. Most black tanks have enough capacity for a number of days.
Most RVs will run out of gray tank capacity, WAY before the black tank.
So you may need a tote tank for dumping gray water.

We are experienced dry campers. We have a Honda 2000i, a 15 gallon tote tank, a 6 gallon water jug and an inverter for tv.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchina3 View Post
Should I get a generator?
With your current setup, I would most definitely recommend a generator to boondock for a week.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

As mentioned above 6 volt true deep cycle are the way to go. They are meant for withstanding deeper discharge cycles, will last longer and supply more amp hours then two 12 volts.... Having said this, if you plan to get a generator and recharge the batteries as needed you should be fine with 12 volts you just might have to charge them a little more frequently.
I would suggest you get as much generator as you can afford... As Dan mentioned, 2000 is the minimum and while your running it to recharge you can also use the microwave. If however you want to be able to run your AC and the Microwave and Recharge your batteries all at the same time then step up to a 3000 or 3500 and you can do it all. You’ll find there is typically $200 to $300 difference from 2000 to 3000/3500 and if you tend to dry camp a lot it’s worth it, especially if you think you might want to run the AC..
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #5

A little Harbor Freight 2000 watt will run you about $450 with coupon.
Run it a bit in the morning and a bit in evening when everyone else has theirs running and you should be good.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #6

Might I suggest that the OP read the generator threads on this forum. A lot of good information and discussions. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
I would suggest you get as much generator as you can afford...

Good advice but don't overdo it. If you have an RV with a 30 amp power connection a 3500 Watt generator/inverter will be adequate. No need to worry about larger units or paralleling a couple of 3500 Watt units unless you have a 50 amp service.

Also consider the flexibility that "Dual Fuel" gives you when boondocking. Out of gasoline? Use Propane. Want extra long run times without having to rig an extended fueling system, use propane. A 20# tank will run a 3500 W Inverter (Champion) for 15 hours (avg) and a 30# tank will run it continuously for almost 24 hrs.

Just gives one flexibility that a single fuel unit won't provide.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #8

Generator 2000 watt would be a big help . Also they sale true deep cycle 12 volts batteries that are every bit as good as 6 volt deep cycles batteries . so you have option . 2 12v true deep cycle or 6 . for my it's the 12 volts because it's easier . some times i pull one and use it for a trolling motor battery and still have 12 volt at the camper . can't do that with a 6 . If you get the generator then the batteries you have will be fine IMHO
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

Don't mean to be argumentative here but you need to be careful when comparing 12 volt deep cycle batteries to 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries......

Deep Cycle batteries are rated by 20 hour capacity, the more capacity the longer they will last under a load..

Here are comparisons of 2 of the more popular lead acid deep cycle batteries and their respective 20 hour capacity. I chose the top of the line in each brand

Duracel Deep Cycle 12 volt 75 hours
Duracel Golf Cart 6 volt 235 hours
Trojan Deep Cycle 12 volt 100 hours
Trojan Golf Cart 6 volt 260 hours

That's quite a difference and why most choose 6 volt when boondocking...

Can you get a true deep cycle 12 volt battery that has a much capacity as a 6 volt golf cart battery?? If you can, I couldn't find one and you can find 6 volt golf cart batteries at most retail stores that sell batteries like Costco, Wallmart etc.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 02-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #10

Hopefully you do not have a residential fridge as that would likely require frequent generator running.

Two batteries would last two days if used only for lights and the water pump. And not much else. The heater is a battery hog as well.

I doubt solar would do it. Unless you have a lot.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Hopefully you do not have a residential fridge as that would likely require frequent generator running.

Two batteries would last two days if used only for lights and the water pump. And not much else. The heater is a battery hog as well.

I doubt solar would do it. Unless you have a lot.
I have easily camped for a week on two 75AH batteries using the lights and water pump, I did replace all my lights with LEDs which helped a lot.

Many people use solar very successfully so I don't know why you think it wouldn't work.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #12

If you are going to be going for a week and don't plan on boondocking in the future buy a cheap generator like the Harbor Freight 2000. If you think you will do more get a better generator like the Honda 2000i (cost 2x as much, lasts forever). It's not worth the expense and installation hassle of solar unless you are going to spend a lot of time boondocking. People somehow survive on boats with marine batteries, with a generator you will be just fine.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #13

i know nothing about your setup but i understand your concern. don't know when you are going on your colorado trip. do you have time before you take the trip to make a trip to a place near near you, even your driveway, and try to camp without an electrical hookup for a few days to experience what it would be like. you could simulate running a generator by plugging into shore power for a couple of hours and then unplugging again.

there a million posts on the forums about generators.you could spend days reading them all. i'm assuming you have a 30 amp trailer. a 3500 watt generator should allow you to use anything in the trailer that you could use via a 30 amp shore power connection. the issue with this class of generator is their weight. a benefit is some are dual fuel. the smaller 2000 watt generators are lighter but you will need to parallel two of them to support the same usage as a 30 amp shore power connection.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Don't mean to be argumentative here but you need to be careful when comparing 12 volt deep cycle batteries to 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries......

Deep Cycle batteries are rated by 20 hour capacity, the more capacity the longer they will last under a load..

Here are comparisons of 2 of the more popular lead acid deep cycle batteries and their respective 20 hour capacity. I chose the top of the line in each brand

Duracel Deep Cycle 12 volt 75 hours
Duracel Golf Cart 6 volt 235 hours
Trojan Deep Cycle 12 volt 100 hours
Trojan Golf Cart 6 volt 260 hours

That's quite a difference and why most choose 6 volt when boondocking...

Can you get a true deep cycle 12 volt battery that has a much capacity as a 6 volt golf cart battery?? If you can, I couldn't find one and you can find 6 volt golf cart batteries at most retail stores that sell batteries like Costco,Wallmart etc.
Your not being entirely accurate . trojan t1275 150amp . 1 6 volt won't get you anywhere . you need 2 and that does not increase amp hrs . get 2 t 1275 and you get 300 amph . so it's really how you look at it. there are arguments both ways .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Your not being entirely accurate . trojan t1275 150amp . 1 6 volt won't get you anywhere . you need 2 and that does not increase amp hrs . get 2 t 1275 and you get 300 amph . so it's really how you look at it. there are arguments both ways .

OK so always looking to learn something....I know you always have to look at two batteries when your are looking @ 6 volts since they have to be wired in series to make it look like a 12 volt to your trailer... So here are the rating for a single 6 volt and a single 12 volt...

The Trojan 12 volt T1275 ratings are
@25 amps 280 mins
@56 amps 102 mins
@75 amps 70 mins

The Trojan 6 volt T145
@ 25 amps 530 mins
@ 75 amps 145 mins

So if you have two 12 volts you double the numbers but not if you have two 6 volts you don't ??

Not trying to be a wise guy here just wanting to know for future reference.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #16

I always love these battery and boondocking discussions! Yes, some batteries are better than others for RVs, but you usually pay for that. But the truth is, unless battery performance is your passion, you will NOT notice the difference between true deep cell and marine deep cells, 6 or 12 volt. We have used six volt, 12 volt, deep cells, marine. I can't say one option made such a dramatic difference that I would chose that option over all others. We boondock for up to three weeks at a time, many times a year.

The OPs marine batteries will do just fine. That is what we use all the time now. Why? Because they work just fine, are cheap, and I can get them anywhere. I use the series 27 Interstate marine deep cells. They last 4.5 years on average and I abuse them.

So OP, your batteries are just fine, especially for a week.

But yes, you do need a way to recharge them. If it was a one time shot for one week, I would just say to rent or borrow a generator.

But we know how this works. You will start dry camping for a week, then next year it might be several weeks and multiple times. So you might as well invest.

I will always advice to buy the best inverter generator you can afford. The best is Honda. Then Yamaha. Next is Champion. After that, it's just a gamble. The absolute last one I would buy is the predator series from harbor freight.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, based on actual experience in my RV group. We have members that will only buy what is cheapest. They usually have a new generator every season or two. Then there are those that have Honda's and have had them for 10 years or more. Much cheaper way to go over time.

Solar is an option when you have enough experience, $$$, and know what you need.

Good luck and enjoy RVing!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
OK so always looking to learn something....I know you always have to look at two batteries when your are looking @ 6 volts since they have to be wired in series to make it look like a 12 volt to your trailer... So here are the rating for a single 6 volt and a single 12 volt...

@25 amps 280 mins
@56 amps 102 mins
@75 amps 70 mins

The Trojan 6 volt T145
@ 25 amps 530 mins
@ 75 amps 145 mins

So if you have two 12 volts you double the numbers but not if you have two 6 volts you don't ??

Yes if you have 2 - 12 volt batteries in parallel you will double the capacity of one. If you have 2 - 6 volt batteries in series you will have no change in capacity, since the RV's system is running at 12 volts.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #18

Quote:

@25 amps 280 mins
@56 amps 102 mins
@75 amps 70 mins

The Trojan 6 volt T145
@ 25 amps 530 mins
@ 75 amps 145 mins

To make the comparison apples to apples you have to look at two batteries regardless. Two 6 volt batteries to get 12v and to get the same capacity you need two 12 volt batteries only wired in parallel.

If comparing both 6 v and 12 v TRUE DEEP CYCLE batteries there isn't much difference although using the above 25 amp rates a pair of 12 v batteries will provide more capacity than a pair of 6 v in series by about 30 minutes.

(I used the 25 amp rate as it's closest to the 20 amp rate used to determine Amp Hour ratings).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #19

Most trailers are 30 amp single phase. If you are going to buy a 3500 watt generator, verify it is 3500 watt single phase (120v). Some generators are 3500 watt dual phase (240v) which only gives you ~15 amps at single phase.

I occasionally boondock and use a small 1200w generator (which I already owned) with a automotive battery charger to replenish my batteries. I found the battery charger a life saver when my converter died during a trip. It was able to keep my batteries charged until I returned home and could replace the converter.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #20

More batteries is better.

You need to look at those amp hour charts buy item and sort of educate yourself.

You can answer the questions easily.

Residential fridges, coffeemakers, heaters, microwaves, cpap machines use a lot of power.

Led lights, gas fridge, gas water heater, pressure pumps. not so much.

Probably most important is a Gage to see where the batteries are so you do not discharge too much. It is hard on batteries.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking