Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Opinions on Collapsible Water Jug

I am looking to purchase a collapsible water jug preferably in a 2 1/2 gallon size for easy lifting. I was leaning towards the Coleman brand because of the thick handles on it but the most important consideration is that the jug not leak. It seems that the leaks always occur around the cap/spigot of the water bottle. Of course it would be very inconvenient stopping after 300 miles only to find several gallons of water sloshing around in the trailer or the tow vehicle. I know that a hard sided container would probably be better but as I will be getting a small trailer, space will be at a premium and after the water is used up from the collapsible jugs, it will be nice to be able to fold up the jugs to save space.

I recommend all opinions, observations, experiences, recommendations etc. but you have to offer. Thanks.
Maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Wanderluster

In our past life, we used those 2 1/2 gal soft plastic water containers. Frankly, we never liked them and switched to 5 gal hard plastic with a spigot.

We never had a significant problem with leakage, though a dribble was often seen after a few hours of travel to a campsite. The soft nature of the container makes it somewhat difficult to pour, though not a big factor. Just not that convenient when it takes two hands to operate when a hard side jug with with spigot can work single handedly.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I got rid of my soft sided ones and got two 7 1/2 gl hard sided containers. One is really all we needed as it turns out so we only take the one now (although its actually easier carrying two containers when they are full. The hard side container is easier to pour from and no leaks.

My trailer is also small so I stow it in the shower while towing and outside when in camp. Works well.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #4

We tried the collapsible ones but it developed a leak before the first season of use was over. We have the hard sided 5 gallon one, but even that has been replaced now for an Igloo water cooler. the DW like the ease of filling the coffee pot from the push button spigot, these now come with wheels and in a 2 gallon size.
All Beverage
Attached Images

2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
(Kim)

We have a 5gl collapsible water jug; it is easy to store and see the water level, but a hard side might be easier to fill and pour (less spills).
I have to say that I actually put a plastic bag around my container when I fill at the CG fresh water spigots when I have to put it on the ground; too many people do their dishes and wash some questionable clothing items and body parts at the taps and I dont want the remnants of somebodies *insert word here* stuck to the bottom of my jug.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions. I can see plusses and minuses with the collapsible and rigid containers. I just had an idea though... Translation.... Both brain cells fired simultaneously. If I put the collapsible jugs in the shower/tub, if they did leak, the water would flow down the drain and out of the trailer. I don't think it has a grey water tank. Will that work?
Maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote