Old 07-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

Overnight parking at Rest Areas

Has anyone overnighted at a rest area on I-10 in Florida I see a sign with overnight security and no sign stating no overnight stays.

jcarignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Prime Member

According the Florida DOT website, you are only allowed to park at rest areas for up to 3 hours.

Florida Department of Transportation - Office of Maintenance Rest Area, Service Plaza, Truck Comfort Station (WIM), and Welcome Center Info

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

the signs say "no" but have never heard of anyone being forced to leave a rest stop by authorities, ... years ago at a rest stop in California, I saw a sheriffs car and asked him about this, "we would rather have a tired, sleepy driver sitting here than driving on the road, endangering the lives of everyone out there", ... a couple of years ago, we pulled into a rest stop with our trailer, it was so crowded, the only spot left was right in front of the "no over night parking" sign, we blocked that sign that night, ... we like and use rest stops/welcome centers, ... using them we don't lose travel time, can drive as late as we want, then stop(we don't have to stop travel early, leave the freeway and find a cg before it closes for the night), ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #4

I have used them for a few hours, but, my wife is very frightened of strangers and she won't even consider spending a whole night there.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarignan View Post
Has anyone overnighted at a rest area on I-10 in Florida I see a sign with overnight security and no sign stating no overnight stays.
Overnight security is usually for rest areas where travelers have had trouble with crime. Florida doesn't like people preying on their tourists.

Personally, I'd find another area to stop.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
I have used them for a few hours, but, my wife is very frightened of strangers and she won't even consider spending a whole night there.
Nor will I.

Several in Arkansas (and many other places) were permanently closed years ago because of homicides there.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #7

I can’t speak to Florida, but last year in July we stopped at one somewhere between Tucson and San Diego. The sound of the big rigs idling and/or refers made for very restless sleep. We were gone within 3 hours, as soon as DH was able to start up again. Now we would prefer the RV parking area at a Pilot over a rest area.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #8

I have stayed overnight on I-10 in FL, but I was sleeping in my pickup, not camper. No problems.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
Prime Member

We prefer Walmart.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #10

It's been a few years, but on that part of I-10, the rest areas fill-up early! I past three that were full by 10 PM. When I finally got to sleep it wasn't long before the idling big-rig that parked next to me, sent me on my way....

Phil
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
jkoenig24

Commercial drivers now face MUCH stricter rules re the number of hours they can legally drive and, Electronic Logbooks mean they can't fudge their driving hours. The result is that more big rigs MUST stop before they hit their daily maximum hours. I'm not aware of ANY new rest areas being built (actually, with closings, there are FEWER rest areas) so, the existing rest areas are frequently filled. More than once, I had to keep on driving because rest areas were full
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #12

I must be the abbie normal one cause when I plan my trip I plot out 6 -8 hrs drive time google a Koa or other camp pull in set up relax grandkids swim play we fix dinner relax get plenty of rest get up and do it again it may take more time I suppose but it sure is more relaxing and enjoyable than drive drive drive rush rush rush and the kids enjoy the journey even tho they are on the road for long drives.
Wannabretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #13

Not sure, GA or FL ~~ trooper told me he would never give anyone flack for sleeping. He also said that meant sleeping and nothing else. If a slide was out even a foot things changed. Sleeping does not mean getting into the fridge and if you need the restroom, use theirs! Great by me as my bedroom and bathroom are available easily.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #14

A couple of years ago, we learned about parking with the good folks at Walmart. But, we always try to ask permission and usually find out they have a preferred parking area. However, the past few times this year we've heard that they are getting fed up with the semis. We saw one sign specifically stating no semis. Lowe's and Home Depot are pretty good about parking also, but you're usually alone when parking at one of those. Like many others, when I'm in transit, I just can't stand the hassle of checking in for a one-night stay at a campground.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #15

In our past travels, we've frequently stayed overnight at rest areas, WalMarts, truckstops, campgrounds, and a couple of times behind a commercial office building. Occasionally a Camping World parking lot has sufficed for an overnight stop.

Unfortunately, we're now limited to overnight stops where we either have shore power or can run the generator all night. I expect that this will limit us to campgrounds and truckstops. The generator noise shouldn't be an issue at a truckstop but, as pointed out in prior posts, the new electronic logging for truckers and their limited driving hours makes some of them get very antsy when they see an rv taking up one of the parking spaces at a truckstop.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #16

I have not stayed at any on I-10, but I have stayed at rest areas on I-81, I-95 and a number of other areas without too much problem. You can get an app on google play called Overnight Parking Finder and another one called Rest Stops which will guide you to places you can park for overnight.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #17

I occasionally stop at rest areas, but as a light sleeper I've learned to always carry ear plugs for the noisy rest area trucks or the occasional obnoxious partying of nearby campers.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #18

Between Jacksonville and I-75 along I-10 is a campground called Lake City RV Resort. It is $40 per night but well worth it. We had a nice pull thru site, easy in and out. Didn't even unhitch. We like to cut our trips in half and rest at campgrounds along the way.
Lake City RV | Lake City RV Resort
Old 07-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #19
2014 XLR 27HFS

We have stayed overnight in rest areas, Walmart, Cracker Barrels, etc. Never had any issues. If anyone tries to break into my camper when I'm in there, it will be the last time they ever do it. Just sayin'...
Old 07-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Nor will I.

Several in Arkansas (and many other places) were permanently closed years ago because of homicides there.
And being from this area...we have a tremendous amount of interstate traffic on our I30 & I40 exchanges. These horrific crimes were committed by transient people during their travels and not local Arkansans preying on the travelers. Sadly, it was the wrong place at the wrong time scenario for these victims.

Days Camped 2020 - 16/Days Camped 2019 - 71/
Days Camped 2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking