Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Portable Buddy Heater

How many use portable heaters and which brand? Do you use the small tanks or a 20#. Would it be possible to hook into the lp line on the camper. We have a Rockwood 2011 8280WS
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Be very careful if you are planning on using an lp heater inside the camper. They remove oxygen from the air and can generate carbon monoxide. I would advise against it.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Big Buddy heater when dry camping. With the double tanks, it will go about 10 hrs. on the low setting. I think you can get a "whip" line to run off of your own propane tanks, but seems to me that would be a hassle to hook up everything, and another possible place for propane to leak.

We crack a window near the heater, and also 1 in the bedroom when using the heater. Make sure your CO detector is working.

Even with the windows cracked and the heater on low, it heats our camper nicely.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

The Mr. Heater MH18B info as follows:
Product Description
From the Manufacturer
With its newly integrated hot air blowing system, the Big Buddy Heater now takes portable heating to a new level. Ideal for use indoors, the safe Portable Buddy Heater features an automatic low-oxygen shut-off system that automatically turns the unit off before carbon monoxide fumes reach dangerous levels in your tent, camper, or garage. This portable wonder blasts out 18,000 BTUs, and can heat up to 400 square feet of space for up to 220 hours on one tank with the thermostat on low. A blower fan can be powered by 4 size D batteries or an A/C Adaptor. And, multi-position heat settings keep the room at just the right temperature so you're never alternating between too hot, and too cold.
FEATURES
Battery or A/C powered blower fan for versatility
Low, medium, and high heat level control knob for steady temperatures
Key-shaped rear mounting holes for wall mounting
Large four-position heat level control knob for controlling with gloved hands
Built-in Piezo starter for easy starts
Automatic shut off for accidental tip-over and fume safety
SPECIFICATIONS
Built in Ignition system
Heat settings: 4,000 - 9,000 - 18,000 BTU's
Product Description
Portable propane heater. Features one button ignition, a tip over safety feature and an oxygen depletion sensor that will automatically shut unit off to keep you safe when using it in confined spaces. Heats up to 400sq. Ft. CSA certified
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Wanderluster

We used a Wave brand ventless heater on a separate lp bottle for one season. They can be hooked up to the coach propane system. Some folks like 'em, I didn't. They have their drawbacks but can be used "safely".

Here is an excellent article about ventless propane heaters you might be interested in. It is farily long, but your health and life could depend on the information provided... Ventless Heaters

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

I have a Buddy heater as well as a Big Buddy heater. They both work good. A couple of things to note. They do put out some smell in my opinion. The Big Buddy has a low oxygen shut off safety feature. I don't believe the regular Buddy heater does. They tell you in the instructions not to hook it up to anything larger than a 20lb tank. Go to there web site and you can learn more. Another option to look at is the Olympian Wave heaters. They have several advantages from what I have read. Little to no smell and much more fuel efficient. They make 3 different sizes. They are expensive, but I have yet to read a bad review on them. I plan on purchasing the Wave 6 soon.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150k View Post

This portable wonder blasts out 18,000 BTUs, and can heat up to 400 square feet of space for up to 220 hours on one tank with the thermostat on low.
Huh ?? What size tank is that ?? Surely not the small screw-in tanks.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffPavement View Post
We used a Wave brand ventless heater on a separate lp bottle for one season. They can be hooked up to the coach propane system. Some folks like 'em, I didn't. They have their drawbacks but can be used "safely".

Here is an excellent article about ventless propane heaters you might be interested in. It is farily long, but your health and life could depend on the information provided... Ventless Heaters
Great read on the Ventless Heaters. Thanks for sharing, it was very informative. A guy I worked with years ago died in the back of his pickup with a topper on it. He was running a coleman lantern for heat. He and his son both died as a result. Very sad situation.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Huh ?? What size tank is that ?? Surely not the small screw-in tanks.
I believe that is with a 20lb tank. Maybe two?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
I believe that is with a 20lb tank. Maybe two?
Gotcha.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #11

I take it the Buddy Heater is a named brand? I have a small Coleman catalytic heater which uses the small bottles. Our goal is take the chill out of the air not heat it to 75 or what have you. I need to check into the Buddy Heater brand. The Coleman's run on the mid size bottles. These sound much better on 20 pound bottle.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The Buddy and Big Buddy are made by Mr. Heater: Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters

The Big Buddy had receptacles for 2 propage bottles and will last about 10 hours on low, and I think the Buddy heater can only accommodate 1 bottle, with about 5 hours of operation time on low. I opted for the Big Buddy so I would not have to get up in the middle of the night, go outside and change the propane bottle

Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I use a Big Buddy heater when dry camping. With the double tanks, it will go about 10 hrs. on the low setting. I think you can get a "whip" line to run off of your own propane tanks, but seems to me that would be a hassle to hook up everything, and another possible place for propane to leak.

We crack a window near the heater, and also 1 in the bedroom when using the heater. Make sure your CO detector is working.

Even with the windows cracked and the heater on low, it heats our camper nicely.
Same here. Big Buddy works great. It also has a low oxygen shut-off. And then there are the trailer systems for some redundancy. We only use it if dry camping and trying to conserve battery power (e.g. a place that doesn't have hookups and doesn't allow generators; like WI or MI State Parks). It hasn't killed me in the ice fishing house so I'm not too worried in the trailer.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #14

It is supposed to be safe to use in an enclosed area. I have a buddy heater and use it in my truck slide in camper, with a whip hose to the 20 pound tank. I do always leave the roof vent open some when using it, for safety reasons and because it gets very warm in there. Also use it sometimes with the screw on disposable tanks and it gets quite a few hours from them.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #15

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
the Buddy heaters are great. My dad uses one in his camper and is very pleased.

We have an Olympian wave 3 heater and modified a line so it can run from the RV's dual propane bottles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	10545  
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #16

Is there any odor when using the buddy heaters?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes....slight.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #18

Quote:
I have a Buddy and a Big Buddy and they both have some smell,but not bad. I primarily use them when I tent camp and in my ice fishing shanty.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #19

I cant smell mine at all.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #20

Question

Quote:
Product Description
From the Manufacturer
With its newly integrated hot air blowing system, the Big Buddy Heater now takes portable heating to a new level. Ideal for use indoors, the safe Portable Buddy Heater features an automatic low-oxygen shut-off system that automatically turns the unit off before carbon monoxide fumes reach dangerous levels in your tent, camper, or garage. This portable wonder blasts out 18,000 BTUs, and can heat up to 400 square feet of space for up to 220 hours on one tank with the thermostat on low. A blower fan can be powered by 4 size D batteries or an A/C Adaptor. And, multi-position heat settings keep the room at just the right temperature so you're never alternating between too hot, and too cold.
FEATURES
Battery or A/C powered blower fan for versatility
Low, medium, and high heat level control knob for steady temperatures
Key-shaped rear mounting holes for wall mounting
Large four-position heat level control knob for controlling with gloved hands
Built-in Piezo starter for easy starts
Automatic shut off for accidental tip-over and fume safety
SPECIFICATIONS
Built in Ignition system
Heat settings: 4,000 - 9,000 - 18,000 BTU's
Product Description
Portable propane heater. Features one button ignition, a tip over safety feature and an oxygen depletion sensor that will automatically shut unit off to keep you safe when using it in confined spaces. Heats up to 400sq. Ft. CSA certified
I thought that the whole object of using these while boondocking was to avoid drawing down your batteries. Does it save much electricity compared to the standard Suburban furnace?

Opps, I missed the part about the D batteries. I guess that it does save your battery.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote