Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Hopefully you have a separate container for your fresh water.

No! Mike doesn't fuss much about these things.

Like a short skirt, a useful conversation is short enough to retain interest and long enough to cover the subject.
RVrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Hopefully you have a separate container for your fresh water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVrover View Post
No! Mike doesn't fuss much about these things.
Hey, the new tote has a great rinse system. Who needs a separate tank

Actually, I have a dozen 5-gallon water "cubes" i transport water and use a spare water pump for the TT to transfer from "cubes" to TT tank.

Cubes were far less than a bladder and a dozen empties will fit into a cardboard file box. I can also take a "cube" along with me on my field trips into the desert for drinking, hand washing, and when my pup was still with me, some drinking water for him.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #23

"cubes" do you mean the collapsible water jugs I've seen? We're only going to be there four of five nights and already proven we're good for about 7 from a trip to Bishop Mule Days last June (first and last for that one!).
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:06 PM   #24

Just last week I stumbled on the video below on Netflix, (or amazon... don't remember which) at about the 1 hour 30- to 50 mark I believe he makes it to Quartzite... if you want to fast forward... pretty good information as far as I was concerned... as I have never been there to AZ RVing...

video also found on youtube... very entertaining

https://youtu.be/3rJZiKZlNWU

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #25

Go out to YouTube and subscribe to Russ’ channel. He does a lot of videos of all the different boondocking areas and much more.
https://m.youtube.com/user/rvertv/videos
Woody1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Hey, the new tote has a great rinse system. Who needs a separate tank

Actually, I have a dozen 5-gallon water "cubes" i transport water and use a spare water pump for the TT to transfer from "cubes" to TT tank.

Cubes were far less than a bladder and a dozen empties will fit into a cardboard file box. I can also take a "cube" along with me on my field trips into the desert for drinking, hand washing, and when my pup was still with me, some drinking water for him.
TitanMike -- you wouldn't have a brand name or link for those, would you? I purchased a couple of 5gal containers, but they're not collapsible. Thanks.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I don't have many options on arrival dates, still working. That's my biggest concern is will I find a spot. You say you go south of I-10 on Paloma? Read somewhere cell was better to the north, have Verizon and AT&T and will need to work while away.
Dome Rock Road, south of 1-10, west of the Cholla Rd. You won’t be alone, but you will definitely Be able to find a spot.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #28

Hi,

Well I'm sitting up north at Plomosa Road BLM (settled in temporarily about a mile west of the main highway) right now and there is solid three bar Verizon service.

Dfifferent from past years, for some reason I can only get CBS on my rooftop antenna, which is going significantly trim my NFL playoff options. (grin)

There is plenty of room up here now. And a cruise yesterday down to the other BLM areas showed lots of vacant land as well. By the end of the month things will have tightened up -- there is a steady stream of rigs coming in. But every other time I've been here, space to park was always the last thing to worry about. Unless you want to, you will never be as close to others as you would be in even the most spacious organized campground.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #29

Not sure if these are the same ones Mike has but it's what I'm looking at getting.

Water Cubes
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #30

Hi nayther,

I decided to move today from Plomosa (the picture from the highway shows how sparse the occupancy is there now) to La Posa Tyson Wash south of town (the picture of my rig with just a few folks in sight).

They aren't necessarily predictive of occupancy when you arrive in a couple of weeks. But they do show the lay of the land and how people spread themselves out.

My cell signal down south here is 4 bars on Verizon. And there is an over the air TV signal for Fox as well, so some of my NFL anxiety has been resolved. Evidently I'm closer to the repeaters, which I now can see on a mountain just to the west of me...

Travel safe and have fun when you arrive.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200103_121406110.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	221337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200103_085952179.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	221338  
Old 01-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #31

two mentions of Verizon, any info. on AT&T? Really want to test out my new TOGO
Old 01-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #32

Hi nayther,

One more comment. While signal strength may be great on any of the major carriers, in snowbird season there are thousands more people accessing the tower(s) than ordinarily is the case in Quartzsite.

Sharing a strong signal that widely means that actual bandwidth available to an individual user may not be everything one hopes for.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 01-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi nayther,

One more comment. While signal strength may be great on any of the major carriers, in snowbird season there are thousands more people accessing the tower(s) than ordinarily is the case in Quartzsite.

Sharing a strong signal that widely means that actual bandwidth available to an individual user may not be everything one hopes for.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Thanks, didn't think of that. Mostly need it for email as I'm going to try the remote work thing. If I have large files to transfer I can do that early in the morning when data traffic is lower.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks, didn't think of that. Mostly need it for email as I'm going to try the remote work thing. If I have large files to transfer I can do that early in the morning when data traffic is lower.
The bandwidth squeeze is on already. Text's I send my Daughter in the evening often don't go through til early AM the next day.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Not sure if these are the same ones Mike has but it's what I'm looking at getting.

Water Cubes
Same ones. Nice because they collapse to the point a dozen fit in about the same space as one full one.

I fill 9-10 when I go to town and just transfer to tank as needed.

If you have a pump get a suction hose that fits the spout airtight. As you pump out the "cube" will collapse and you won't have to squish it down later.[emoji106]

Old 01-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #36

so let's talk security while camping there, is there a big problem with theft? can I leave stuff like grilles and such outside when we day trip? Expensive stuff like bikes and generators are locked up or left in locked truck bed (generator lives in truck bed under tonneau and chained up, bikes locked to RV).
Old 01-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #37

Hi nayther,

Sort of depends on things like your assessment of the value and replaceability of those items, and remoteness and/or proximity of your site to others. Everyone likely has a different comfort level.

I lock my bike and the 20# propane bottle that feeds my Mr. Heater through a partially blocked window. But I have never worried about chairs and my garage sale propane grille when I have left them out.

Size it up when you arrive...

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 01-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #38

Quote:
so let's talk security while camping there, is there a big problem with theft? can I leave stuff like grilles and such outside when we day trip? Expensive stuff like bikes and generators are locked up or left in locked truck bed (generator lives in truck bed under tonneau and chained up, bikes locked to RV).
I was concerned about this, too, as I had heard that theft could be an issue. Knowing that firearms are allowed in NPs and BLM land, I contacted the regional office a few months ago about ramifications of discharging one (which is forbidden) in self-defense (of life, not property).

A BLM 'ranger' called me and we had a nice 30min discussion about the odds of 'needing' to, crime in the area, etc.

His position was that he'd 'encourage' people to bring a firearm, if they were licensed. Not because crime is rampant, but probably because out west, people are more comfortable about the idea of carrying firearms on their person. (AZ is open carry w/o permit, btw, but concealed requires one.)

As far as actual crime... he relayed info about some people who've walked around with battery operated dremel-type cutters, and steal items left outside (and perhaps from the truck beds, as well.) So I would not leave things chained to the trailer / surroundings while gone, unless you've got some really theft-resistant chain / cable.

Another option could be game cameras, as someone wrote about in another thread over the last day or two. Just make sure they're concealed well, so they don't take those, as well. And I personally wouldn't tempt people, even without the camera.

Other people who've camped in QZ and written about it have mentioned this type of theft; trending toward people with substance abuse issues looking for something they can sell for quick cash; that sort of thing. An unattended portable genny would be a primo opportunity for them.

That being said... from my take, you don't need to worry about people doing B&E jobs on campers, strongarm robbery, that type of thing. Just 'easy opportunity' thefts seem to be the prevailing issue.

Since I travel alone, I was glad to hear this. I'd only discharge mine if someone was actually inside the trailer & actively threatening me, btw. Not looking to be a vigilante.

As far as jurisdiction... IIRC, the county has it over the interior of the BLM area for 'crimes against man or personal property'. (not the local PD).

The BLM ranger gets involved when one commits a (literal) 'crime against nature' (the one I spoke with liked how I described it that way).
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:11 PM   #39

Quote:
I think 99% of the people that go to Quartzsite are just like you and me. Nice people wanting to enjoy the desert and the experience that is "Quartzsite." However, it's that 1% you really need to watch out for. We lock everything up.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suru View Post
I think 99% of the people that go to Quartzsite are just like you and me. Nice people wanting to enjoy the desert and the experience that is "Quartzsite." However, it's that 1% you really need to watch out for. We lock everything up.

I'm not worried at all about fellow campers, it's the desert tweakers I'm concerned about, not sure if there's an abundance out there. We usually desert camp outside Victorville or Ridgecrest in CA, open BLM land where we ride/race dirt bikes and there have been dirt bikes stolen right out of large camps but normally not a problem. There are a lot of tweakers in the CA deserts. Make it difficult and they'll move along. I have a heavy chain/lock for my generator in my truck, just standard bicycle lock for the bikes (they're cheap cruisers).

Tags
boondocking