Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #41

When in doubt lock it up. From what I've been told the likelihood of theft goes up the closer you are to town.

I've been to town three times this week and there's a growing group of those who are likely suspects to steal your bike, generator, or any other thing of value they can grab.

Last year the host at the Plomosa Rd BLM area said several generators had been stolen.

Most of the thieves most likely to be around campgrounds are opportunists. If it can be grabbed quickly it's gone. Taking time to cup chains or locks is less likely.

As for firearms, I wouldn't recommend taking a shot at someone stealing a bike or generator. It's usually NOT a justification for using deadly force. Most state statutes require a fear for life or safety before deadly force is justified.

Just lock things up or take them with when you leave camp. Beats all the difficulties that could arise.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

As for firearms, I wouldn't recommend taking a shot at someone stealing a bike or generator. It's usually NOT a justification for using deadly force. Most state statutes require a fear for life or safety before deadly force is justified.

Just lock things up or take them with when you leave camp. Beats all the difficulties that could arise.
Agreed 110%. You are in a legal world of hurt if you shoot at someone who is outside the physical door of your trailer. Never mind hitting them (or worse).
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
Agreed 110%. You are in a legal world of hurt if you shoot at someone who is outside the physical door of your trailer. Never mind hitting them (or worse).

no firearms in my RV, don't own any. I'm not anti-gun, just have not felt the need to carry and am not qualified to use one.

I'll pick up another cable lock to wrap up the BBQ's already have cables/chains for the bikes and gennie plus the gennie lives in my truck bed, chained to a cleat.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
no firearms in my RV, don't own any. I'm not anti-gun, just have not felt the need to carry and am not qualified to use one.

I'll pick up another cable lock to wrap up the BBQ's already have cables/chains for the bikes and gennie plus the gennie lives in my truck bed, chained to a cleat.
I don't carry a firearm to defend against property crime. For that I carry insurance.

Have carried (legally) since 1964 to defend my person and family. Haven't had to yet and hope I never have to. It's a matter of personal choice and since I prefer boondocking I see it as a logical choice. Many times I'm camping where law enforcement response time is measured in hours, not minutes like developed areas.

BTW, I respect those who choose not to. Like I said, personal choice.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #45

Quote:
I don't carry a firearm to defend against property crime. For that I carry insurance.

Have carried (legally) since 1964 to defend my person and family. Haven't had to yet and hope I never have to. It's a matter of personal choice and since I prefer boondocking I see it as a logical choice. Many times I'm camping where law enforcement response time is measured in hours, not minutes like developed areas.

BTW, I respect those who choose not to. Like I said, personal choice.
Thanks for your respect, as said certainly not anti-gun, just never felt the need. We're moving toward retirement in 3 years and plan to do some LONG trips (not full time but month or two at a time) and enjoy remote camping much more than RV parks so I might change my tune when that happens. And TOTALLY agree, property is just that, STUFF, a human life is another story. I would also take a handgun safety course before I purchased a hand gun, I do have an old revolver that I inherited from my father and his grandfather, it's serviceable but more of a keepsake for the family. Probably get a Glock as recommended by my retired PD BIL.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #46

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	221971

Quartzsite, Arizona waiting for the RV show and Quartzfest ham get together. Have a great day.
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #47

From my new drone.

Plomosa Rd BLM area, North side about 3/4 mile in.
When I arrived on Jan 5 this picture would only have three RV's besides mine in it.

A steady stream of new arrivals every day and only a few leavinh.

It's "SHOWTIME". [emoji41][emoji41]Click image for larger version

Name:	20200118134927.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	222013

Old 01-19-2020, 10:29 PM   #48

I went to the big tent event yesterday and today. Yesterday I got there at 10 am, and it was crowded. No pavement parking available, so I went into Tyson Wash. I couldn't believe all the knuckleheads trying to drive through there in FWD and 2WD vehicles and getting stuck. Most seemed to be from Cali. 4WD trucks and Jeeps seemed to have it the easiest through the sand. I wouldn't even try it with an AWD CUV. Today I got there just before 0900, which is opening time, so much less crowded. They close at 5 pm, which seems early to me.

I was camped out in Scaddan Wash. Even when I left today there were still plenty of places to park.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #49

Not all the knuckleheads live in CA but they do have more than their fair share.

When I lived in CO it was the 4WD people that were always getting stuck. Figured 4WD was magic and they could go anywhere.
Then again, CA or CO, only one letter difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I went to the big tent event yesterday and today. Yesterday I got there at 10 am, and it was crowded. No pavement parking available, so I went into Tyson Wash. I couldn't believe all the knuckleheads trying to drive through there in FWD and 2WD vehicles and getting stuck. Most seemed to be from Cali. 4WD trucks and Jeeps seemed to have it the easiest through the sand. I wouldn't even try it with an AWD CUV. Today I got there just before 0900, which is opening time, so much less crowded. They close at 5 pm, which seems early to me.

I was camped out in Scaddan Wash. Even when I left today there were still plenty of places to park.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #50

Probably not many CA people. Only people from states with crappy weather are there.

We were staying at McDowell Mountain a few weeks ago. We were the only CA people there.

Lots of good golfing in the area!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #51

Rode my bike through the entire Plomosa Rd BLM area yesterday. CA license plates outnumber all others. Even the area I'm in has mostly CA plates.

They all come for the RV show and weather has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Probably not many CA people. Only people from states with crappy weather are there.

We were staying at McDowell Mountain a few weeks ago. We were the only CA people there.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Rode my bike through the entire Plomosa Rd BLM area yesterday. CA license plates outnumber all others. Even the area I'm in has mostly CA plates.

They all come for the RV show and weather has nothing to do with it.
LOL...not according to my friends from BC and Wisconsin that are there!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #53

didn't know where I was going so ended up not going back far enough, a bit crowded but OK. Far north side, about 1/2 mile or so from the entrance. Did the Desert Bar yesterday, what a kick. Today was RV show, friends got a good deal on a dish and receiver, he's setting it up now. Have decent ATT and my TOGO is working great, was able to work some and I'm using it now. weather kinda sucks today though.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post

Almost every RV in Scaddan Wash had Cali plates on it.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #55

Spent Saturday night at Plomosa road again on our way back from Tucson, pulled down past the "no camping" sign, still quite a few rigs out there and a couple of large groups, figured OK for overnight. Was nice to see more desert than other RV's.

Being our first visit we were blown away with the number of RV's, have NEVER seen that many and spread out over miles and miles, as far as you could see. Didn't spend much time looking at RV's but did hit all the vendors, our friends got a killer deal on a satellite system, $319.00 dish and wally! Can say I've been, not sure if will go back but did discover it's a great 1/2 way stop over from L.A. to Tucson where our son moved to so will be at least overnighting there when we travel with the RV to visit, summers will be with hookups though.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #56

One last THANK YOU! To all that commented and assisted. Really nice to have a trusted source of hands on information when exploring somewhere new.

Tags
boondocking