Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #1

Quartzsite boondocking

Been doing some reading on this. Heading there 1.18.20 for a few days, have not been before. We're VERY comfortable boondocking, do it more than hookups, have solar, genny, etc. Saw "Plomosa road" and Hi Jolly and a few others. Don't need to be in long term area, any dispersed "flat spot" is good for us. Have two fifth wheels, one 30', one 28'

Suggestions please.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

Hi,

I start out at Plomosa each time I go. A bit further from the town activities than the others, but not all that bad.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #3

I'll hopefully be at Plomosa Rd area by the 6th or 7th of January.

Spent a couple weeks there this last January and enjoyed it a lot. Area is pretty flat and not a ton of noise from the highway if you go in a ways. Plenty of room for larger rigs and while I was there the only people that were close together were groups that wanted to be close.

BTW, if you see a 25' MicroLite with a both the American and Army flags flying from a flag pole with Red/White/Blue "Strobe" on top (only at night) that is most likely me. Visitors welcome.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #4

Hi Mike,

I should be there by then. In years past, I gave been able to get a nice spot on the south side about a mile in from the main highway -- just before the big gravel pullout. Whether that spot is free again this year or not, I'll be shooting for that area. It's a light gray Silverback with a dark gray Chevy crew cab, if you see me first.

Rich
Old 12-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #5

The Big Tent Show starts on the Saturday the 18th, so it's probably going to be a little difficult finding a spot if you come on that day. I don't know when the place starts getting full, but I'd show up at least a day or two beforehand. I'm also going to be there, although I haven't decided on what day yet. I'll be the one with the red 2019 Silverado and the KZ 130RBSE. My truck will be easy to identify by the Alaska veteran license plates with the Marine Corps eagle, globe and anchor.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The Big Tent Show starts on the Saturday the 18th, so it's probably going to be a little difficult finding a spot if you come on that day. I don't know when the place starts getting full, but I'd show up at least a day or two beforehand. I'm also going to be there, although I haven't decided on what day yet. I'll be the one with the red 2019 Silverado and the KZ 130RBSE. My truck will be easy to identify by the Alaska veteran license plates with the Marine Corps eagle, globe and anchor.
I don't have many options on arrival dates, still working. That's my biggest concern is will I find a spot. You say you go south of I-10 on Paloma? Read somewhere cell was better to the north, have Verizon and AT&T and will need to work while away.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

Hi nayther,

Plomosa is north of the interstate, maybe around two miles beyond Hi Jolly. I have had great Verizon and network TV connections up there.

Unless you don't want anyone at all within sight, finding something there shouldn't be a problem, even arriving close to The Big Event.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Old 12-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi nayther,

Plomosa is north of the interstate, maybe around two miles beyond Hi Jolly. I have had great Verizon and network TV connections up there.

Unless you don't want anyone at all within sight, finding something there shouldn't be a problem, even arriving close to The Big Event.

Hope this helps.

Rich

That's the info. I was looking for. I don't mind seeing others, we're used to camping with large groups, etc. at desert races. I've done some real remote boondocking but won't unless I know where I'm going or with someone that does. Last thing I want is to get in somewhere remote and get stuck or can't turn around.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #9

Hi,

This is my spot two years ago, where I described earlier. Plenty of elbow room.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170105_154121385.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	220725  
Old 12-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
Multi-Slacker

For those that show up early, and get a good spot, how do you keep that spot when you got o du,p tanks?
Old 12-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #11

Hi Curt,

I put out a couple of folding chairs around the abandoned fire ring you see in that picture, and maybe a few other odds and ends, to make it obvious that I'm coming back. Nobody has ever missed the hint -- most folks being both honest and considerate.

Rich
Old 12-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
Last thing I want is to get in somewhere remote and get stuck or can't turn around.
If off road navigability is a concern, Google Earth should be useful. It will provide a fair perspective on what this area looks like and hopefully show the interior network of established vehicle tracks.

Rich
Old 12-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
If off road navigability is a concern, Google Earth should be useful. It will provide a fair perspective on what this area looks like and hopefully show the interior network of established vehicle tracks.

Rich

DOH! Said in my best Homer voice!

I LOVE Google Earth, use it a lot for business. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #14

We have visited Quartzsite for the past 5 years and always go during the week of the big RV show. We have always camped off of Plomosa Rd which is about a 15 minute drive into town. Some years we've had a lot of privacy, other years it was really crowded with neighbors a little too close. We've never had bad or obnoxious neighbors, so it hasn't been an issue. I hope our luck continues this year. One thing is that campers will run their generators all day and night and you will hear them.

Quartzsite during the RV show isn't for everyone as it gets really busy and crowded with a lot of traffic, but we've always enjoyed our stay there.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suru View Post
We have visited Quartzsite for the past 5 years and always go during the week of the big RV show. We have always camped off of Plomosa Rd which is about a 15 minute drive into town. Some years we've had a lot of privacy, other years it was really crowded with neighbors a little too close. We've never had bad or obnoxious neighbors, so it hasn't been an issue. I hope our luck continues this year. One thing is that campers will run their generators all day and night and you will hear them.

Quartzsite during the RV show isn't for everyone as it gets really busy and crowded with a lot of traffic, but we've always enjoyed our stay there.
When I was there last January I found that I could hear the generators but they were all far away enough that it was no worse than the usual weekend sound of lawn mowing back home. The sound was there but not so loud it was annoying.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
That's the info. I was looking for. I don't mind seeing others, we're used to camping with large groups, etc. at desert races. I've done some real remote boondocking but won't unless I know where I'm going or with someone that does. Last thing I want is to get in somewhere remote and get stuck or can't turn around.

The Plomosa Rd area is essentially flat. There are a couple of washes running through the area but for the most part one can navigate from the road to an endless number of camping spots with no issues.

One note for newcomers, as you head East on Plomosa Rd off the main highway there is a sign off to the right saying no RV Camping beyond this point. Kind of easy to miss and the "Rangers" patrol regularly telling people who missed the sign to "move on". It's about 4 miles in from the entrance.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
For those that show up early, and get a good spot, how do you keep that spot when you got o du,p tanks?

Several 4' lengths of re-bar driven into the ground like fence posts and run some pink surveyor's tape around the area.

I've also used this method in the past to keep dirt bikes from riding through my camp.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:33 PM   #18

Another option is a portable tank (blue boy, turd tote, etc.); that way you can leave your rig in-place & not have to break camp.

That also frees you up from waiting in line to use the LTVA dump station (I hear lines can be really long; will find out for myself in a couple of weeks)
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
Another option is a portable tank (blue boy, turd tote, etc.); that way you can leave your rig in-place & not have to break camp.

That also frees you up from waiting in line to use the LTVA dump station (I hear lines can be really long; will find out for myself in a couple of weeks)
Since I'm heading to Quartzsite in Jan I decided to give my TT a "Christmas Present". It now has a brand new Camco Rhino waste tote that holds 28 gallons (2 gallons less than each of my holding tanks). Also got a Flojet macerator pump.

Now I can merely take my gray water to town, dump, get fresh water and return to my TT. Black tank with only one person in the TT lasts a lot longer.

FWIW, I'm really impressed with the Camco unit. Someone thought out all the possible needs of RV owners.

Can fill directly from 3" dump valve OR there is a hose connection (with included double female ended hose) for your macerator discharge hose. Dump valves on top, over axles, for 'tip and dump". A dump valve on the side for "carry it in the back of your truck and just connect dump hose and empty without lifting. Also includes a steel adapter for towing behind your pickup if towing around the campground.

Cleanout with a built in Camco spinning jet flush system.

Every cap also has a tether on it so they don't get lost.

Tank has a steel "foot" that holds up the pull handle end that doubles as a hook so the tank can be hung on the ladder.

At $139 (delivered) the price wasn't bad either.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Now I can merely take my gray water to town, dump, get fresh water and return to my TT. Black tank with only one person in the TT lasts a lot longer.
Hopefully you have a separate container for your fresh water.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking