Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Solar

I'm thinking about buying solar panels for our 36CKTS. But I have no idea where to start! If any of you with solar panels have some suggestions, I'd like to hear from you.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

Just starting out, it can be really overwhelming researching full solar systems right out of the gate. My best advice would be to just take each step one at a time until you're confident, then move on.

First off you need to determine what your actual energy requirements are. Decide what it is you want to be able to power with solar. I would break it down into 2 categories... the must haves and the it would be nice to's.

There are a lot of solar companies that will have calculators that will give you a general idea, but best would be to purchase an inexpensive voltmeter and test each component you would like to power for actual energy consumption. Most important will be the amp draw, but check voltages as well.

Read up on voltage/watts/amps/DC/AC and how they relate to each other.
Without a good understanding of all that it will be extremely difficult to design a solar system that you'll be happy with.

From there you'll have a better idea of what size of battery bank you'll need. You can start researching the various battery types, sizes, capacities, and costs.

That should keep you busy for awhile. :-) Don't sweat the other stuff so much at this point. Once you have a core understanding of your needs and how everything works together the other stuff will just fall into place.

Have Fun!!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #3

goggle handy bobs rv charging puzzle
you will find all the info you need
2003 Four Winns 245 Sundowner
mikier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #4

X2 But a lot to take in at once :-)

The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog
Old 09-24-2014, 04:48 AM   #5

Good advice. While you are reading up, start reducing your usage..get LED lights in your fixtures! Oh, buy a good multimeter with a DC clamp-on ammeter.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #6

I know it has been said, but I will ask, what do you want the solar panels to do, or should I say why do you want them?
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #7

I mounted 2 90 watt solar panels from RV Solar Electric and 3 deep cycle batteries on my TrailManor when I purchased it in 2000. Back then we did not have good LED lighting like we do now.
The whole setup cost me over $1,000 but that is not the only drawback to solar. For one thing you need to find a camping spot that gets at least 4-5 hours of direct sunlight. That cool spot under all the tress will not work.
You also need to periodically clean the panels and I had my charge controller go out which cost me another $90.
Since we purchased our new Rockwood 2109S with LED lights and a low draw LED TV we have dry camped for up to 5 days with the battery indicator not going below "GOOD". This is with daily showers for the 2 of us, using the lights & radio in the evening and some light usage of the furnace and vent fans. I did install a 2nd class 27 LifeLine absorbed gas mat battery on the rear bumper.
I am happy not to have the expense & finding the right campsite hassle of solar and since we are usually ready for a new camp ground after 4 or 5 days this has been working fine for us so far. It seems that driving 100 miles or so charges the batteries up again or sometimes we are ready for a site with hookups after 5 days of boon docking. An over night with electric will fully charge the batteries.
BruceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL Creeker View Post
I'm thinking about buying solar panels for our 36CKTS. But I have no idea where to start! If any of you with solar panels have some suggestions, I'd like to hear from you.
I have just finished my planning stage for installing a solar system, with the help from forum members and Jack Mayer .

A handful of us Rvers are going to Mayo, Fl for a week this January for a solar installation rally.

I have learned a bunch over the last four months. I have conducted an energy audit to determine our daily usage, and from there I decided to go with 500 watts of solar and 550ah of batteries. I'm going to use a 1000w Magnum inverter, as we have no need to use a microwave while boondocking.

If you haven't read Jack's website, check out this link.

Below is the results of my energy audit
RV Electrical
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
I have just finished my planning stage for installing a solar system, with the help from forum members and Jack Mayer .
Looks pretty good! You've been generous with your estimates, so that's always a good idea. I'm not sure what rig you have, but the parasitic draw seems a bit high. You might see if you could lean that out a bit.

My only suggestion would be to see if you could maybe get 700watts of panel for that much of a daily load. You have, effectively, 250ah or so available, but the less you run down your battery bank between charge cycles, the longer your batteries will last. Also, with the additional wattage, your solar will help pick off some of those daytime ah expenditures.

What charge controller are you looking at? Feels good finally getting it all laid on don't it.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
CCRVOC

Yes, the planning part has been a good exercise in understanding the system. I want to stay on a budget, but not build the system cheaply..if that makes sense, plus build in expansion if needed. Also for the DW, as I wanted to be sure she was onboard for any "electrical restrictions" and why........So now I need to figure out where to put all this stuff. Below is the setup I'm going to purchase.

Trojan T-145- 260ah x 4ea ----- 520AH
Morningstar TriStar MPPT 60
Solar World 275w PV - 2 ea ----- 550W
Magnum MMS-1012 - 1000W PSW inverter, 20A passthru, 50A-4 stage charger, w/temp sensor
Magnum Energy ME-ARC Inverter Remote
SubPanel -
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #11

why are you spending extra money on an inverter/charger. you will have the solar charger and already have a coverter/charger on your rig. everything else looks good but this one piece seems to be a waste of $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Yes, the planning part has been a good exercise in understanding the system. I want to stay on a budget, but not build the system cheaply..if that makes sense, plus build in expansion if needed. Also for the DW, as I wanted to be sure she was onboard for any "electrical restrictions" and why........So now I need to figure out where to put all this stuff. Below is the setup I'm going to purchase.

Trojan T-145- 260ah x 4ea ----- 520AH
Morningstar TriStar MPPT 60
Solar World 275w PV - 2 ea ----- 550W
Magnum MMS-1012 - 1000W PSW inverter, 20A passthru, 50A-4 stage charger, w/temp sensor
Magnum Energy ME-ARC Inverter Remote
SubPanel -
2003 Four Winns 245 Sundowner
mikier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
CCRVOC

I want a charger that has the capability of using a temp sensor and that I change the charging voltage, and of course by remote ......
Old 10-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #13

Solar power

A person can actually get into this pretty cheaply. Now before someone says the only way to do it is to do al that figuring,a nd buy expensive systems, consider this:
I went to Harbor Freight, picked up 45 watt 3 panel system, that charges a 12 volt system at 3 Amps. It comes with a controller, to keep from overcharging your batteries, and has multiple outlets to allow to charge cell phones, car chargers, etc.
All for around 200 bucks total. I haven't installed them permanently, since I like to park under the shade, and want to place these in full sun. That also gives me access to the panels to clean them of dust, and can move them to angle toward the sun as it travels across the sky.
These kits also contain the alligator clamps to hook to your batteries, or wired eyes, to screw down onto the posts.
These cheap Chinese products have lasted me around 8 years, produce lots of power, and I haven't had any problems yet. If they suddenly die, I have gotten my use and money out of them. They keep my system charged, although I don't use a coverer to run any 120 stuff. We are pretty low usage out there.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #14

We have a 2014 Cardinal 3450 and had a complete solar system installed at AM Solar in Springfield, Oregon. We would highly recommend them!
JBNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #15

I run a 35ft Hemisphere 282 RK with 1- 12 watt Sharp panel mounted flat on the roof. 20 Amp controller with 2 Interstate 6 v GC batteries. No inverter & LED's to added for next season. Very pleased with the performance. We use our Honda EU 2000 genny very little, just for the microwave, toaster, hair dryer,etc. I highly recommend solar generation.
Obrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrieri View Post
I run a 35ft Hemisphere 282 RK with 1- 12 watt Sharp panel mounted flat on the roof. 20 Amp controller with 2 Interstate 6 v GC batteries. No inverter & LED's to added for next season. Very pleased with the performance. We use our Honda EU 2000 genny very little, just for the microwave, toaster, hair dryer,etc. I highly recommend solar generation.

I may be wrong but a 12 watt panel puts out about 1 amp. If you have 15 hours of peak sun per day how can that charge a 225 amp hour battery setup.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
A person can actually get into this pretty cheaply. Now before someone says the only way to do it is to do al that figuring,a nd buy expensive systems, consider this:
I went to Harbor Freight, picked up 45 watt 3 panel system, that charges a 12 volt system at 3 Amps. It comes with a controller, to keep from overcharging your batteries, and has multiple outlets to allow to charge cell phones, car chargers, etc.
All for around 200 bucks total. I haven't installed them permanently, since I like to park under the shade, and want to place these in full sun. That also gives me access to the panels to clean them of dust, and can move them to angle toward the sun as it travels across the sky.
These kits also contain the alligator clamps to hook to your batteries, or wired eyes, to screw down onto the posts.
These cheap Chinese products have lasted me around 8 years, produce lots of power, and I haven't had any problems yet. If they suddenly die, I have gotten my use and money out of them. They keep my system charged, although I don't use a coverer to run any 120 stuff. We are pretty low usage out there.

I've looked into the same setup for the same reason!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
I may be wrong but a 12 watt panel puts out about 1 amp. If you have 15 hours of peak sun per day how can that charge a 225 amp hour battery setup.
I'm sorry. I meant a 123 watt Sharp solar panel.
Obrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #19

Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrieri View Post
I'm sorry. I meant a 123 watt Sharp solar panel.

No problem, will be putting 2 - 130 watt panels on my SC 226rbds in the spring. Had them before and loved them.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #20

I found getting solar is very personal. In my case I have found that it has increased over the years and now what I have is still not enough.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar