Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Solar Panel Mounting

I've got a new Roo with what seems to be a foam sandwich for a roof. I would like to put three hundred watt panels on the roof but don't see an easy way of keeping them secure. I've thought about using flexible panels, but since they are more expensive I thought I'd ask what others have done.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #2

There is a string about mounting here. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...in-105452.html
I mounted using sticky feet and epoxy to fiberglass roof. Very solid, no concerns
Old 07-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

Eternabond double bond for sealing and adhesion in addition to using well nuts for the thin roof.

The second page on this link shows how well nuts work:

https://www.batterystuff.com/files/1...-1112_hrez.pdf

Dicor applied over everything after final step. No problems at all even towing at 80mph.

I have no experience with sticky feet but thought of not having any mechanical fasteners to roof scare me a bit. Sticky feet are used for non-rubber roofs from what I understand.

Installing additional mounts on the panels will reduce the stress on remaining mounts and that should also help.

Good luck!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #4

I have a MiniLite and opted to use VHB tape to secure the flexible labels to the roof then a dicor sealant to seal the edges. If I were to do it again I would have preferred to use Eternabond to seal the edges.

For rigid panels I tossed around the idea of using well nuts and I just didn't feel over time they would be the best. We drycamp and boondock a lot, much of it is accessed on rough bumpy gravel forestry access roads and the bouncing of the panel on the well nuts concerned me. If I never got off the asphalt it wouldn't be as much of a concern for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #5

I used a marine fiberglass adhesive, in connection with rubber well nuts. I applied dicor over the top. Only one season so far, I will travel down and up the Alaska highway next summer, I will know more then.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #6

Remember some panels require an air space underneath for proper cooling.
Here's how I attached my 285W panel:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1146998

I find the weatherproof PVC board creates a solid surface on top of the flimsy roof, plus it give you an air space if needed. My panel's spec wanted 3/4" of space under the panel.

I just add a ladder to the back of my MH and I used the PVC board there again to make a solid place to attach the ladder loop to the roof.

Tags
mount, solar, solar panel