Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
That sounds like a ton of fun, Fred. Where abouts do you like to stay ar

ound Tahoe? Colorado is one of my nemesis. I cant get lost up there for weeks on end. My shortcoming always seems to be potable water.

What kind of house battery are you running?
At Lake Tahoe, we always stayed at Sugar Pine State Park on the California side, about half-way down the lake. Our church always had at least 8 families, sometimes as many as 20, reserve individual campsites in a block for the same core week. My kids were 4 and 6 when we started (1st year in a tent, but a bear visit thanks to my carelessness with the dry food resulted in purchase of a PUP), and were teenagers during our last visit. Afternoons usually spent at beach just outside the state park.

Since we generally stay at campgrounds without hookups, additional water is available for the carrying. However, the PUP tanks are usually sufficient for a while if only used for drinking, cooking, and dish-washing. Since we do all cooking and dish-washing outside, water usage is pretty minimal.

On the PUP, I had a Diehard Marine size 27. Several years we ran the battery down to just barely usable, resulting in a shortened battery life. One year, we recharged mid-week from a friend's generator.

The experience is why I opted for 2 size 24 (all I could fit on the A122 without a lot of relocation work) on the A-frame. The goal is to run the heater as needed for a 4 day weekend trip in Colorado mountains without hookups. Plan B1 is a portable LP catalytic heater (Wave or similar). Plan B2 is solar augment (100 watt or similar panel). So far, Plan A has done just fine.

Longer trips are currently out of the question, and the A122 gets a little small for extended durations. We got the A-frame because of its greater convenience for weekend trips. If we were going longer, we would have gotten another PUP (probably 10ft box) for the extra room inside.

just our experiences
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #22

The most we have gone is 4 days. but it was at a ren faire. so there was clean porta poties and a nice clean bath house and lots of eye candy and some things i wish i could un see
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #23
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
LOL I'm a wilderness docker not a barbarian. I saw that Gordon Ramsey show on satellite one to many times with his little black light "Hotel Hell". I didn't mean to imply, just there seems to be so many folks that can't seem to steer clear of the concrete camping and forget there is a whole lot of beauty out there.

I remember when a camper was strictly propane and 12v was an innovation. These days it takes a major overhaul just to function without 110.

I didn't mean any offense. Your well trained pig is welcome around my fire any day of the week.
WHOAH NELLIE! That pig ain't MINE!

Ain't no way in hades I'm camping with a PIG! But those folks do, PLUS four over sized Yorkies. It's a traveling zoo I tell ya.

I did post a pic and a video of it around here somewhere....her name is "Willow" and she was a total HAM. Walked right up, stuck her snout up to my iphone and grunted a couple of times.

Oh and no offense taken, not even a smidgeon. Didn't mean to imply you're a barbarian either. Sorry if ya took it that way.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Sorry if ya took it that way.
Not at all, not at all. Just hooked you into the ongoing joke with a friend. Wilderness boondocking I keep getting called grizzly adams and "Grandpa nuno".. but what they don't know is I'm usually kicking back with a mug of french pressed coffee with the A/C on, watching satellite tv, plincking on the computer after a hot shower, and trying to learn how to play angry birds.

But don't tell or everyone and their pig will go FR and ruin it.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote