Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #21

Poor Quality?

I've usually traveled to areas that had poor or no water so I've always arrived with full fresh water tanks. I certainly does carry a weight penalty and can effect tongue weight but if I see issues of bending braces then I clearly am owning the wrong trailer. I just purchased a new Roo so Forest River will be hearing from me loud and clear if I can't use the trailer in the manner it was intended to be used.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenmck View Post
Sorry if there is a thread for this already but I can't seem to find one.

I have just purchased a new Xlite 261 BHXL. After the sale the dealer strongly cautioned about driving with water in the tanks. The salesman appeared to think that that tank would fall out the bottom onto the road! That would seem to be a very poor deign.

Since i will often be well away from a water source this presents a problem. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue and an Xlite. Thanks
Warren
Now this makes me quite curious as we have recently purchased a new (2016) Wildwood 261 BHXL also. Ours is in storage until spring at the dealer's. Guess we should ask about the same. Thanks for posting your question!
Coffee46506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #23

Arrived at a site today with a full tank of 60 gallon after a 410 mile drive. If the tank fell out I would wonder what other crappy things would be found.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #24

Anyone out there know of a gauge to attach to fresh water hose to let you know how many gallons of water you have filled the fresh water tank with???
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #25

There are garden hose flow meters available.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #26

Water meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodtraveler View Post
Anyone out there know of a gauge to attach to fresh water hose to let you know how many gallons of water you have filled the fresh water tank with???
Check this out. $15.35 from Amazon:

Amazon.com: P3 P0550 Water Meter: Home Improvement
Air Lift AirCells, Blue Ox BX1500
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #27

A US liquid gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds.
Times that by your tank capacity and its a fair amount.
most dealers I've asked this question to have stated that eh straps are meant to carry some degree of weight in the tanks but (and there is always a but) its teh movement and bouncing that will stress the straps. They are not like gas tank straps from my understanding in their ability to withstand the weight and abuse of the road moves

we purchased 6 - 6 gallon drinking water jerry cans that we fill just before we pull into the NASCAR race track at NH. I carried a full tank of water the first year and when we arrived i had a 1/3 tank.
plus it cost me $$$ in extra gas.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #28

Salesmen

RV salesmen are Salesmen, not technicians. They might have been selling cars last month, and shoes the month before. I haven't ever met anyone selling that I would trust for information (No matter how nice they are), regarding how a system of any sort is put together.
Starting with simple operation, and going all the way to how something is built.
This thread is a prime example of how ignorant some people selling rigs can be, and the information they are giving to novices is simply sad, or even dangerous.
The "Oh, you can haul it with your truck" line is one of the worst.
And will we ever stop seeing new owners surprised that all the shavings, and construction litter is left inside/under the cabinets?
Just my opinion.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
And will we ever stop seeing new owners surprised that all the shavings, and construction litter is left inside/under the cabinets?
Just my opinion.
5 minutes to vacuum the crap up.
i had something that looked like an adult toy under my rubber roof membrane on our first trailer. repair facility said it was where they swept the roof into a pile and left it there...
or how about toilets with the drain hole 3 inches to the left of the tank, or the kitchen grey water tank not connected like my last trailer.

but when they start increasing the price to this one- I'm going to stop buying them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	expensive trailer.PNG
Views:	327
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	97619  
Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
RV salesmen are Salesmen, not technicians. They might have been selling cars last month, and shoes the month before. I haven't ever met anyone selling that I would trust for information (No matter how nice they are), regarding how a system of any sort is put together.
Starting with simple operation, and going all the way to how something is built.
This thread is a prime example of how ignorant some people selling rigs can be, and the information they are giving to novices is simply sad, or even dangerous.
The "Oh, you can haul it with your truck" line is one of the worst.
Just my opinion.
Its a damn good opinion

This 23WS Roo we are buying will be our 4th TT since 2009, and previous to that in the 1980's early 90's we owned some others. We hauled with full freshwater often in all of them, and sometimes full or near full black and gray tanks also if we were somewhere without hookups or a dump station. If they are not made to be hauled with full tanks what's the point? These are "travel trailers"????

Where are all the comments coming from about "straps". I do not remember having straps holding tanks on any trailer I have owned. The last couple which were on LCI made frames as are most now days, had this or something similar.
Water Tank Support; 53-3/4 X 28

By the way, you're not going to notice any decrease in fuel mileage by hauling with full fresh water opposed to empty. Is it going to reduce fuel mileage.....yes. Enough that you will notice it? Maybe if you tracked it over 10,000 miles you might notice some kind of mileage hit, but I doubt it. Thinking that is simply being penny wise and pound foolish. How hard you step on the pedal pulling out from stoplights, or driving 70 instead of 65 with the extra wind resistance factor the additional 5 mph generates is going to drop your fuel mileage way more than the weight of hauling with a full FW tank, even if it weighs 1000 lbs.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #31

Holding Tank Straps - Page 5 - iRV2 Forums

"Just put 2 double straps on the freshwater tank and I did it like this. ... Having someone (you) talk about seeing a tank drop out of an rv in front of ... Something as simple and cheap to install as a few straps makes perfect ... at the external straps that is supporting my tanks and they appear to be in good shape."

with the way factories leave stuff behind, disconnected, half secured - until i checked it out myself - why would i take the chance with anything built now a days.

some are refits some look stock
https://www.google.ca/search?q=rv+wi...ChCwBAg2&dpr=1
Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #32

Fresh water tank fell out!! - CrossRoads RV Family Forum
"I recently purchased a 2013 251BH.... I was de-winterizing and sanitizing it.... added my bleach/water mix to the fresh water tank, started filling it with my hose.... went in the house for a while, came out to see if it was full. well, to mySURPRISE..... the tank was laying on the driveway!!! both straps broken, hoses broken, wires stretched...... my Dealer came and picked it up, said they'd never seen this before..... anyone else hear of this??? I'm glad I wasn't toolin' down the highway when it decided to drop out!!!"

just saying...
Old 01-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #33

MilCop4523, in your link to iRV, those straps can not hurt anything, but that material being used is not the strongest stuff. That's nothing more than a band aid.

In your second post a CrossRoads 251BH is the bottom of the line stick and tin cheapest line they make so I would not be surprised. I've never been at all impressed with Crossroads RV.

Here is the water tank installation in our 2016 Rockwood Roo 23WS we ordered. Its a 37 gallon tank. I think the mounting will hold 310 lbs but I'll be checking it out when I actually take possesion of it. I have never been a believer in enclosed under bellies. I like to be able to see the crappy workmanship.

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #34

Is 8.34 pounds/gallon at sea level?

2011 Ford F350 fx4
Coachman Catalina 303rls
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #35

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Check this out. $15.35 from Amazon:

Amazon.com: P3 P0550 Water Meter: Home Improvement
Perfect! Just what I need. Thanks.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I have never been a believer in enclosed under bellies. I like to be able to see the crappy workmanship.
CRAPPY WORKMANSHIP - Isn't that like Military Intelligence, Happily Married, Friendly Divorce, Government Assistance?

when the guys tell me with our other trailer that they advise against hauling with full tanks because the straps may not hold and its in an enclosed underbelly well; we all have had our own experiences with trailer woes...
last thing I need to think of is giving someone behind me a car wash with black or grey water sludge.

I followed a 2 horse trailer one day with horses rears dropping road apples out the back from on of them and recycled water from the other one.

personally im not a huge fan of crap on my vehicle
Old 02-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #37

My Rockwood 2104 has the same brace as the previous pictures. I didn't tow with it full but filled it up at the campsite once and it bent the brace. An authorized dealer reinforced one of the cross members under warranty. I was concerned about the other one that was slightly bent. I ran a piece of 1/4" angle iron over the top of it and straightened it out and weld it up. I think it's rock solid now.

I will carry a full tank and have with previous trailers, a fleetwood terry and a sunnybrook/ Mobile Scout. Never had any issues. The dealer also told me you shouldn't tow with a full tank. These trailers are made extremely cheap and there's no way you can excuse some of the crap they put together. And my water tank is onlly 30 gallons.

My brother lost his black water tank and didn't know it. A car pulled up along side flagging him down trying to tell him he lost his tank. The car had toilet paper on the radio antenna and **** all over the car. I've never laughed so hard listening to him tell that story. It was an old trailer that was one step out of the junk yard.

BTW, the manual says nothing about towing with full tanks, it does warn about the extra weight. I'm not at all happy with the construction of this Rockwood. I'm constantly reinforcing and fixing things. I've had to reinforce the stapled drawers and I just replaced two of the cheap ass 120 receptacles with house quality box and receptacle plug ins. But you get what you pay for and I didn't pay much. My next one will hopefully higher quality.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #38

I agree ~~ I usually leave with full fresh water ~ 60 gallons unless traveling less than a couple hundred miles. The diesel mileage is unchanged full or empty. The tank is at the rear and MAY drop my pin weight a few pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Its a damn good opinion

This 23WS Roo we are buying will be our 4th TT since 2009, and previous to that in the 1980's early 90's we owned some others. We hauled with full freshwater often in all of them, and sometimes full or near full black and gray tanks also if we were somewhere without hookups or a dump station. If they are not made to be hauled with full tanks what's the point? These are "travel trailers"????

Where are all the comments coming from about "straps". I do not remember having straps holding tanks on any trailer I have owned. The last couple which were on LCI made frames as are most now days, had this or something similar.
Water Tank Support; 53-3/4 X 28

By the way, you're not going to notice any decrease in fuel mileage by hauling with full fresh water opposed to empty. Is it going to reduce fuel mileage.....yes. Enough that you will notice it? Maybe if you tracked it over 10,000 miles you might notice some kind of mileage hit, but I doubt it. Thinking that is simply being penny wise and pound foolish. How hard you step on the pedal pulling out from stoplights, or driving 70 instead of 65 with the extra wind resistance factor the additional 5 mph generates is going to drop your fuel mileage way more than the weight of hauling with a full FW tank, even if it weighs 1000 lbs.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:10 AM   #39

I usually have fresh water tank about 1/3 full, but if I know I'm going to boondock for a night or two then I put more in. It's never full, it takes to much weight off the pin

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post

I followed a 2 horse trailer one day with horses rears dropping road apples out the back from on of them and recycled water from the other one.

personally im not a huge fan of crap on my vehicle
Never, never, ever follow a horse trailer very close. I've been hauling them for 25+ years and those animals have a natural instinct to pee and take a dump whenever they are in a moving trailer. If a horse is "constipated" it's an old trick in the horse business to put them in a trailer and drive around the block. Works every time.

Tags
tank, towing, water, water tank