Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Using generator at Walmart

On rare occasions we will stop at a Walmart overnight while traveling through an area. My wife is an AC nut. She has to have it to sleep unless it is really cool at night. When we had a motor home we would run the generator at night in a Walmart. Now that we have a TT we no longer stop at Walmart for a quick overnight because we have no air. (I could live w/o it but you married guys know how that goes) Does anyone here use a generator with their TT at a place like Walmart? If so how do you secure it. Some places you would wake up with the genny gone. I probably will never do this but I am curious what others might be doing. Since I have gotten the TT, I stop where we have power.
On the east coast that can be pricey for a few hours sleep.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Lite Fun View Post
...On the east coast that can be pricey for a few hours sleep.
Another price you pay for being married.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #3

We hit Walmart's sometimes when we have stayed on road to long and have never had a problem using generator for cooling down unit or fixing dinner or coffee. I don't let it run all night and try and park as far away from the store as possible. We also have stayed in Cracker Barrels parking lots, all ways ask manger and have never been told no.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #4

I use a cable or chain and lock the Gen. in the back of my pickup. I have also locked it to the trailer hitch on the back of my 5th wheel.
bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop11 View Post
I use a cable or chain and lock the Gen. in the back of my pickup. I have also locked it to the trailer hitch on the back of my 5th wheel.

Ours is in bed of truck locked to hitch with chain, made a cord long enough to reach power in on RV
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

When we had a TT I had my 5500 watt generator locked by a chain in back of the truck and ran a cord from the TT. Never got generator stolen but they took my gas cans that weren't locked. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #7

I've seen mounting brackets for generators that mount to the hitch above the LP gas tanks. Looks like a workable solution if using an SUV as a TV?
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #8

We have not used the generator at any "store" locations. I have seen people use it though at Wallmart etc.

We have a generator box fixed to the back bumper, generator is then secured inside box. I can run the generator with box door only 6 inches open. See my blog post.
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

Most Walmarts would say no slides out or jacks down and might have a caution about a generator. They also must conform to local ordinances so work with them and always ask.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Another price you pay for being married.
Your funny.... and you went cross country to to get a JUNKER CADDY for your DW...
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #11

For real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Most Walmarts would say no slides out or jacks down and might have a caution about a generator. They also must conform to local ordinances so work with them and always ask.
Here I was planning a Walmart stay on my next trip to Pigeon Forge just to "Test the generator system" before making a longer trip next year.

I can understand no jacks down but I always use timbers under my jack feet so they won't destroy the asphalt.

No slides out? Don't understand that one and it would be useless to spend the night there with slides in.

Are these rules everywhere or just specific to Walmart only or specific to Walmart in certain locations?

Inquiring mind needs to know...........
Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
I participate in a Walmart Parking Yahoo Group (forum similar to this). In the 2 or 3 years I've been a member, only once or twice have I seen any "rules" given or even implied by Walmart regarding jacks. And that's only at one who had a handful of back to back occurrences of jacks down punching holes in the hot asphalt.

The only "rules" are the "suggestions"/"recommendations" of Walmart goers and the RVing community. The items above are recommended as you want to give the appearance that you're just parking for the night.

That said, when I've done it- we put out 3 of our 4 slides for convenience inside the camper. We were parked where they didn't impede the flow of traffic into or out of the parking lot.

Longest story shortest, no one cared. We arrive just prior to midnight but ended up not leaving due to technical issues until late in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
Here I was planning a Walmart stay on my next trip to Pigeon Forge just to "Test the generator system" before making a longer trip next year.

I can understand no jacks down but I always use timbers under my jack feet so they won't destroy the asphalt.

No slides out? Don't understand that one and it would be useless to spend the night there with slides in.

Are these rules everywhere or just specific to Walmart only or specific to Walmart in certain locations?

Inquiring mind needs to know...........
As I mention above, there are no rules- just recommendations. Walmart corporate doesn't handdown any rules of the dos and don'ts of staying in their lots overnight. Some places prohibit parking due to thier own rules or local ordinances. Some won't say no, but also can't say yes (but will usually tell you if you can expect a knock on your door at night). Some have preferences for where you park in the lot. The courtesy is to call ahead and ask for permission and ask where they'd like you to park.

Once there, you can be the judge if your slides, jacks, or generator will be problematic for the situation.

The golden rule- be courteous.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #13
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
We use a tumbler lock bicycle cable anytime the generator is in use. Always secured to the rear bumper of our MiniLite etc 181. Never stayed in a commercial store's parking lot, so can't address that part of your question. We do a lot of dry camping in National Forest campgrounds, state and national parks, and have never had a problem. Those cables require a pretty heafty cutting tool.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #14

Encouraging

Ependydad: That was encouraging, I may seek out that YahooGroup for further education on my part.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #15

I have to laugh just thinking about running a Honda Generator at a Walmart parking lot! How in the world could anyone hear it over the sound of (Big Rigs running their 400HP engines/ Reefers running on Box trailers/Harleys with their Quiet Pipes/Boom Box Low Riders/) I think Generators is the Low End of Noise! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #16

nick m walmart pigeon forge tn does not allow any campers on the lot over night due to some people dumping waste down the sewer lines in parking lot
peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbilt View Post
nick m walmart pigeon forge tn does not allow any campers on the lot over night due to some people dumping waste down the sewer lines in parking lot
Nice to hear the few ruin it for all others....

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #18

It depends on where you want to stay. Each Walmart location is different. Some allow campers and big trucks to park overnight. SOME DON'T. I have been to Walmarts that actually had signs posted in their parking lots prohibiting it. I have even made deliveries to Walmarts that wouldn't let me park there overnight after I delivered a load to them.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #19

true and they do have a sign but i know what you mean joe i used to deliver to them and sams club both
peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNanMinn View Post
I have been to Walmarts that actually had signs posted in their parking lots prohibiting it.
It always pays to ask- often times the signs are there, but parking is allowed anyway with permission.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator