Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I was going to just have the movies on my macbook and play them to the TV from it but I like this idea WAY better. Going to look into this.

What do you think of this tutorial?
https://mediaexperience.com/raspberr...pbmc/#chapter1

I have Kodi setup on my MacBook with HDMI to the tv, there are customized configurations available for free download, I also found a 12v adapter so I don’t have to run an inverter to keep my tired battery charged. Speaking of batteries they quoted me just almost $1000 CAN with labor to replace the battery in my 2012 retina pro, it’s attached to the keyboard so the whole top gets replaced. Not happening my last MacBook you changed the battery with the turn of a coin.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That seems like a lot of work when you already have a simple options - either watch on your MacBook or setup your tv as the MacBook monitor. I like to tinker but I also like to keep things simple and reliable.
I actually like to tinker. My friend at work has a couple of these Rasberry Pi system running. He has 10TB of movies so I am bringing in a hard drive into work on Monday for him to fill up. What also nice about these little media boxes, is you can have a remote control that interfaces with it and you can mount all this stuff up permanently so there is little disconnecting all the time.

The rasberry Pi 3, case, SD ram and power supply is around $60.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I actually like to tinker. My friend at work has a couple of these Rasberry Pi system running. He has 10TB of movies so I am bringing in a hard drive into work on Monday for him to fill up. What also nice about these little media boxes, is you can have a remote control that interfaces with it and you can mount all this stuff up permanently so there is little disconnecting all the time.

The rasberry Pi 3, case, SD ram and power supply is around $60.
Thumbs up to you. Everyone should have a hobby they enjoy. I like to keep in touch with my friends and siblings so I carry around a Mac mini. I run it and my tv off of a 150 watt pure sine inverter so I can watch movies when I want and tweak photos on the road. I was too cheap to buy a replacement laptop and with the 2012 mini I replaced the spinning drive with a solid state drive and have all the speed I need.
KevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #24

I download a bunch of Netflix to my phone and cast to the tv if we need something.

If we need more, I connect to wifi at a walmart during laundry day and download while grocery shopping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1519867105503.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	163751
txfamilycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #25

For those interested in a Raspberry Pi HTPC, the February issue of MagPi has a number of articles on the subject. https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/MagPi66.pdf

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #26

These work well for the Pi, if you need a lighweight "remote"

https://smile.amazon.com/Rii-Wireles...keyboard&psc=1
Old 03-09-2018, 12:12 AM   #27

We do quite a bit of dry camping/boondocking, but have no generator and no unlimited mobile data plan. So I installed a 12v TV in the bedroom. My wife downloads movies and TV shows from Amazon Prime and Xfinity On-Demand to a portable 1Tb hard drive. Then she can either watch them by herself on her laptop or we can both watch a movie in bed on the DC TV while camped in a Flying J RV parking lot (where we can't put the slide out to be able to see the living room TV) or in a remote BLM dispersed camping area. The DC TV also works well for picking up local over-the-air stations for weather forecasts if we are in range.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #28

Similar to fanrgs I mostly camp at forest service campgrounds or BLM lands so 120V service is rather the exception. I use a 12V TV with a Raspberry Pi Zero W velcro-ed to the back. The Pi Zero runs Libreelec which is a Kodi distribution. The wireless of the Pi pretends to be an access point so I can use the phone with the Kodi remote app to control it (newer/better TVs that implement HDMI-CEC allow control of the media player via the TV remote). Initially I copied movies onto the Pi micro SD card when sitting in the driveway but I found it easier/faster to just use a USB flash drive prepped on a computer.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #29

@TheGerman and @fanrgs, which 12v TV did you go with - significant likes / dislikes?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:46 AM   #30

Sorry didn't do real research, I'm a cheapskate and got the TV for $45 in a pawn shop. It's a random Seiki (I think) TV that has an external 12V power brick. Just made an adapter cable from the 12V/antenna outlet and mounted it to an articulating arm. It's a small TV so it doesn't use a lot of power. One thing it is missing is video playback from USB, hence the service USB port powers the Raspberry Pi zero which in turn connects via HDMI. For a less geeky solution look for a 12V TV that can play files from USB.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #31

watching movies

We found you can watch movies if you just take your directv receiver with you, you can watch the movies you have on your dvr
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #32

Hmmm, that is interesting. Makes sense.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
We do quite a bit of dry camping/boondocking, but have no generator and no unlimited mobile data plan. So I installed a 12v TV in the bedroom. My wife downloads movies and TV shows from Amazon Prime and Xfinity On-Demand to a portable 1Tb hard drive. Then she can either watch them by herself on her laptop or we can both watch a movie in bed on the DC TV while camped in a Flying J RV parking lot (where we can't put the slide out to be able to see the living room TV) or in a remote BLM dispersed camping area. The DC TV also works well for picking up local over-the-air stations for weather forecasts if we are in range.

We use a standard 48” flat screen TV plugged into a 400watt inverter. Works great when Boondocking.
We also installed a Apple TV and connect to a hot spot on our phone for streaming videos from Netflix .
We found most 12v TVs were small and expensive. The inverter cost under $50 .
Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
Sorry didn't do real research, I'm a cheapskate and got the TV for $45 in a pawn shop. It's a random Seiki (I think) TV that has an external 12V power brick. Just made an adapter cable from the 12V/antenna outlet and mounted it to an articulating arm. It's a small TV so it doesn't use a lot of power. One thing it is missing is video playback from USB, hence the service USB port powers the Raspberry Pi zero which in turn connects via HDMI. For a less geeky solution look for a 12V TV that can play files from USB.
I'll be geeking out with a pi as well... Thanks for replying!