Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #1

You're on the road during cold weather and stop at a truck stop, etc for the night--

This probably doesn't apply to coach owners as much as you have probably been running the chassis heater during your drive. However if you have a trailer the inside can be pretty cold when you stop.

How many of you who have generators, either built in or portable will run the generator when running the trailer's furnace, and if your generator is large enough even run a small electric heater?

For me, this was one of the reasons I installed a generator platform on the rear of my TT for my 3500 w Champion Inverter.44

Just hit electric start, plug in power cord, and converter runs furnace and extra heater rather than batteries. Inside of TT heats up rapidly and when I hit the "snooze button" I'm not doing so after the batteries have had to run the furnace almost continuously up to that point. In my mind I have a better chance of making it through the night on the batteries.

Also, If my Tow Vehicle hasn't recharged batteries fully from previous night's use, the Converter/Charger finishes topping them off.

Just curious if others do something similar. For those who only stop at campgrounds, this question doesn't apply

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #2

I have 2 6-volt batteries that can easily run the furnace for 2-3 nights.

If I didn't, i would have no prob running a gen. Most 18 wheelers leave their trucks running all night.

Slept at a rest stop on a trip to orlando in 05 between two trucks. The hum of those diesels put me right to sleep.

They would have never heard a gen.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post

If I didn't, i would have no prob running a gen. Most 18 wheelers leave their trucks running all night.

Slept at a rest stop on a trip to orlando in 05 between two trucks. The hum of those diesels put me right to sleep.

Roger that. When ready to sleep I sleep.

I will say that my "inverter" is a lot quieter than an idling diesel or even a refrigeration unit.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post

Different batteries but same plan for me. I prefer not to run the generator as I have a battery bank that stands up to anything I throw at it.

BUT, I've also ran my generator all night when we needed A/C. I added carbon monoxide detectors in each bedroom and have the factory one in the living room.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

Same as the others. The battery bank was specifically planned to support 4 nights@5 hrs/night of heater use without recharging. Of course, an A-frame has much less volume to heat and a less powerful fan so 2 GC-2s is all I need. With A-frame fridge and water capacities, dry camping 4 nights in the same spot is about the practical limit anyway.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Dryflycaster

Gen Attachment

What are the chances of getting a couple pictures of your gen mount without the gen installed and how you attached it to the frame ?

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This probably doesn't apply to coach owners as much as you have probably been running the chassis heater during your drive. However if you have a trailer the inside can be pretty cold when you stop.

How many of you who have generators, either built in or portable will run the generator when running the trailer's furnace, and if your generator is large enough even run a small electric heater?

For me, this was one of the reasons I installed a generator platform on the rear of my TT for my 3500 w Champion Inverter.44

Just hit electric start, plug in power cord, and converter runs furnace and extra heater rather than batteries. Inside of TT heats up rapidly and when I hit the "snooze button" I'm not doing so after the batteries have had to run the furnace almost continuously up to that point. In my mind I have a better chance of making it through the night on the batteries.

Also, If my Tow Vehicle hasn't recharged batteries fully from previous night's use, the Converter/Charger finishes topping them off.

Just curious if others do something similar. For those who only stop at campgrounds, this question doesn't apply

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #7

I built a rear platform for my Genny and gas cans. Love to be able to stop along the road for lunch and a nap and have air conditioning available.

Platform is attached to a pair of 1-1/4" receiver tubes that I welded to flat plate steel sandwiched between the rear stabilizer jacks and the existing frame plates. Easy to remove if needed.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflycaster View Post
What are the chances of getting a couple pictures of your gen mount without the gen installed and how you attached it to the frame ?

Thanks !
I just bought one of these from Amazon:

Also put the safety struts on the frame end to provide more support for the bumper.

I bought the "all Steel" unit that will carry around 200# one foot back from the bumper. The company rates these in "foot/lbs" as a heavy load on top of the bumper is not as problematic as the same load on the outer edge.

Since my gen/inverter weighs just over 100# I'm well within limits.

Safety Struts are just over $70 for a pair with mounting hardware.

Generator carrier was $189 on Amazon. Decided to buy ready made rather than having to "Engineer" then fabricate, paint, etc.

When I installed the platform I then parked my 186# backside on the outer edge and bounced on it. No movement whatever, not even flex in the bumper. Two ratcheting tie-downs to keep the gen/inverter from moving while traveling and two 3/8" Master "Python" Cable locks to keep it from "walking away". No need to move it from the platform as it sits far enough from the back of the trailer and ladder that exhaust doesn't heat either up. Noise inside is no different than any other "onboard" generator, Onan, Generac, Etc.

BTW, you can buy the mounting "brackets" only. They are sold separately for ~$80 on Amazon (pair) and you can build your own deck. If you are going to carry gas cans get two sets and evenly space. Use a piece of 3/4" plywood for deck and some 2X4 for "edging.

I carry my gas cans and propane bottles (Dual Fuel Inverter) in the truck. Figure I'll be putting them there when I go to town for more fuel and won't have to tow the TT.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Dryflycaster

Your setup looks good and not real difficult to fab. and install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I built a rear platform for my Genny and gas cans. Love to be able to stop along the road for lunch and a nap and have air conditioning available.

Platform is attached to a pair of 1-1/4" receiver tubes that I welded to flat plate steel sandwiched between the rear stabilizer jacks and the existing frame plates. Easy to remove if needed.

_bill

Old 12-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
Dryflycaster

What terms did you use to search for the platform and the safety struts ?

Over the last few years I've found that you can often spend as much for material to fab something as you can to just buy something similar. A little extra paint for a second coat and you can be good to go.

Years ago when I ran the race car I had all kinds of raw material lying around. Throwing something together was a pretty easy task but today there's not much left in the material pile any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I just bought one of these from Amazon:

Also put the safety struts on the frame end to provide more support for the bumper.

I bought the "all Steel" unit that will carry around 200# one foot back from the bumper. The company rates these in "foot/lbs" as a heavy load on top of the bumper is not as problematic as the same load on the outer edge.

Since my gen/inverter weighs just over 100# I'm well within limits.

Safety Struts are just over $70 for a pair with mounting hardware.

Generator carrier was $189 on Amazon. Decided to buy ready made rather than having to "Engineer" then fabricate, paint, etc.

When I installed the platform I then parked my 186# backside on the outer edge and bounced on it. No movement whatever, not even flex in the bumper. Two ratcheting tie-downs to keep the gen/inverter from moving while traveling and two 3/8" Master "Python" Cable locks to keep it from "walking away". No need to move it from the platform as it sits far enough from the back of the trailer and ladder that exhaust doesn't heat either up. Noise inside is no different than any other "onboard" generator, Onan, Generac, Etc.

BTW, you can buy the mounting "brackets" only. They are sold separately for ~$80 on Amazon (pair) and you can build your own deck. If you are going to carry gas cans get two sets and evenly space. Use a piece of 3/4" plywood for deck and some 2X4 for "edging.

I carry my gas cans and propane bottles (Dual Fuel Inverter) in the truck. Figure I'll be putting them there when I go to town for more fuel and won't have to tow the TT.

_bill

Old 12-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #11

Unless it can be locked down I won't put my genny where someone can get them. Had one stolen this summer and they had to crawl under the TT to get to it. In the middle of night even.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #12

That's fine & dandy until you get rear-ended and your whole rig goes up in flames.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflycaster View Post
What terms did you use to search for the platform and the safety struts ?

Over the last few years I've found that you can often spend as much for material to fab something as you can to just buy something similar. A little extra paint for a second coat and you can be good to go.

Years ago when I ran the race car I had all kinds of raw material lying around. Throwing something together was a pretty easy task but today there's not much left in the material pile any more.
https://smile.amazon.com/Mount-n-Loc...2Bcarrier&th=1

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
That's fine & dandy until you get rear-ended and your whole rig goes up in flames.
I suppose that is something to be worried about. Right up there with getting hit in the head by a meteorite or having your brain fried by microwaves in the air.

That's why I line my hardhat with tin foil........
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I suppose that is something to be worried about. Right up there with getting hit in the head by a meteorite or having your brain fried by microwaves in the air.

My thoughts exactly... might as well just stay inside, but then you might slip in the shower..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

sad it does happen, several years ago on I90 in Erie pa. a truck pulling a enclosed race car trailer was hit in the rear and they had several gas cans in the back of trailer the end result is several dead from explosion and from burns
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
#1 If you get ear-ended that generator is the least of your problems. #2 If you travel with the tanks full the chances of that 4-5 gals of gas exploding is slim and none. #3 At some point you have to live a little, if we use your logic, then nobody should drive gas cars are live motorcycles.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
sad it does happen, several years ago on I90 in Erie pa. a truck pulling a enclosed race car trailer was hit in the rear and they had several gas cans in the back of trailer the end result is several dead from explosion and from burns
Are you sure it was the 5 gal gas cans or the race car that exploded???
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The gas cans next to the Water Heater exhaust on a hot day after driving down the road is more of a hazard, totally preventable actually as they should not be there. But live life and hope no one is hurt if they explode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post

2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The gas cans next to the Water Heater exhaust on a hot day after driving down the road is more of a hazard, totally preventable actually as they should not be there. But live life and hope no one is hurt if they explode.
???????? What??????? I must be missing something.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck