Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 04:38 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
We shortened the dining bench at the door to give a little more room at the entry and still make it into a sleeping area if needed. Cut it down mainly to make it nicer for SWMBO to sit and see the television while seated at the table. Also included a place accessible from the door for shoes to be stored and a place for her folding stool and other narrow items.
How did you shorten the cushions?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY_Clipper View Post
How did you shorten the cushions?
That was by the magic of a very talented wife. She went into her "work room" with the full size cushions and came out with the shortened ones. She is trying the find some more material similar to that used so she can make the another back cushion and have it "L" shaped. I know not how she does what she does but she does it good.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #263

12v Outlet Advice Needed

This seems like a great place get some mod advice. I'd like to add a 12v wall outlet to plug in auto accessory (aka cigarette lighter) style plugs. Any suggestions on where to find a nice looking in wall unit with a faceplate?

Also, I'd like to install switched 12v LED rope lights in the storage area under the main bed and haven't the foggiest idea where to start. Most of what I see are 110v. Any pointers? Will rope lights actually light the storage space or are they predominantly for ambiance?

Thanks.
jamoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #264
cdog7201

Send a message via AIM to cdog7201
my dealer has a catalog with many different plugs that they can order from and I would use some LED lights for inside compartments.. I had some left over from the ones I put on my awning you can find them on amazon and other sights. you might find the wall plates at Lowes or Menards.
cdog7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoody View Post
This seems like a great place get some mod advice. I'd like to add a 12v wall outlet to plug in auto accessory (aka cigarette lighter) style plugs. Any suggestions on where to find a nice looking in wall unit with a faceplate?
I've been thinking about installing this, maybe it is something that you may like:
https://accessories.lazydays.com/pri...AaAojaEALw_wcB

Quote:
Also, I'd like to install switched 12v LED rope lights in the storage area under the main bed and haven't the foggiest idea where to start. Most of what I see are 110v. Any pointers? Will rope lights actually light the storage space or are they predominantly for ambiance?
Most LED strips are 12v, while most rope lights are 110v. Google "LED strip" and you will find many options.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #266

Quote:
I used these and mounted them in the partition on each side of the bed between the interior and the basement/outdoor storage area.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZWAZFC
randomabstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:55 AM   #267

Quote:

Thanks.
I installed a 12 volt USB outlet in my previous popup camper, here's a pic of it. It as voltage display which is a nice feature. I feel like the display can drain the battery when in storage (I didn't know about battery kill switch back then) or dry camping, so I installed the little switch to shut it off.

There's no faceplate, but it look clean. You can find a similar 12 volts (dual with USB and regular plug) with some kind of faceplate on Amazon, link below:

https://www.amazon.ca/XCSOURCE-Charg...dp/B01D4LR0ZO/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5765.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	145411  
MattSBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #268

DVD player installation

I just bought a DVD player that I would like to install in our 17FQ. Have any of you done this? This is a regular, smaller DVD player by LG. I am thinking it would go nicely under the cabinet toward the bed -- under where the TV is mounted.

I look forward to hearing opinions!

Moe.

Clipper 17FQ / Mazda B4000 4x4
Sonworshiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonworshiper View Post
I just bought a DVD player that I would like to install in our 17FQ. Have any of you done this? This is a regular, smaller DVD player by LG. I am thinking it would go nicely under the cabinet toward the bed -- under where the TV is mounted.

I look forward to hearing opinions!

Moe.
Moe,

Are you talking about mounting it to the bottom of your upper cabinets?

Mike
Old 07-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #270

DVD player installation

Quote:
Moe,

Are you talking about mounting it to the bottom of your upper cabinets?

Mike

Yes Mike, under the cupboards.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #271

Quote:
Yes Mike, under the cupboards.
That would work.

I replaced my radio with a unit that has a DVD player built in. It is larger than the original one that same with my unit, so I installed it to the side of the upper cabinet.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #272

DVD player installation

That looks great! Was the original radio in that spot? Or on the other side?

thanks!

Moe.

Quote:
That would work.

I replaced my radio with a unit that has a DVD player built in. It is larger than the original one that same with my unit, so I installed it to the side of the upper cabinet.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #273

Quote:
That looks great! Was the original radio in that spot? Or on the other side?

thanks!

Moe.
The original radio was mounted under the Power Center on the front side. I used the piece I cutout to install the new radio to close-up the hole from the old location.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #274

uses for unused space

I know--that is a broad subject!

We just spent a few hours adding some shoe storage around the bed. We spent some time checking out unused space.

First, one area is above the furnace/heater. We pulled the side panel out a bit to see that there is quite a space not used above it. Has anyone done anything to that space? I have heard of people putting a drawer in there, or a vent to release more heat.

What have y'all done with this space? Please post pics!

Second, how have you organized the cupboards under the sink in the kitchen to make the most of the space there? Again--please post pics!

Thanks in advance for opinions and pics!

Moe.
**we also realized how incredibly cheaply made these trailers are made!

Old 07-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #275

I added a drawer above the heater. Went in through the side panel inside the kitchen cabinet to remove the blank panel. Added a rear support, side drawer slides and built a drawer. It's a great addition to throw the various kitchen utensils into.

On our next trip I noticed that when the heater was running the drawer got fairly warm. It make no sense to have all that heat built up inside an enclosed cabinet so I installed a vent panel in the side of the cabinet to let the heat out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Look.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	146399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slides Added.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	146400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawer.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	146401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Drawer.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	146402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	146404  

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 PM   #276

We just returned from Yellowstone Park in our Chevy Colorado towing our loaded 17FQ for an actual GCVW of 8,160#. Now that might not seem to be important to Duramax and Power Stroke fans, but that was done in an 11 year old truck with a with a rebuilt 5-cylinder engine, and I got 16 MPG on each leg of the trip. Easily travelled on US 20 at 50-60+ MPH and pulled it up the long Ashton hill at 40+MPH, too. The 17FQ is just about right for a smallish truck to handle (admittedly, a sixth cylinder would be nice).
Old 08-09-2017, 06:19 AM   #277
Wolfpup owner

That's great to here. I'm making that trip next summer with my wolfpup and 2012 Pathfinder. Where did you camp at Yellowstone?
nlparrott1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #278

West Yellowstone MT has 2 KOA campgrounds close by on US 20. The one closer to town is older with better facilities, well-maintained with mature trees, a pool, and the office sells great fudge. The stay was pricey, but it was so restful, we didn't go in the park on Saturday. There are other places to stay, but if you camp elsewhere, stop there for some fudge.

About 25 miles from West Yellowstone on US 20 is Island Park ID. There are a couple of commercial campgrounds that should cost less as well as several public Forest Service ones in the area. We like the public Buffalo CG on the Buffalo River, and a Senior park pass gets you half price. But the commercial Buffalo Run CG sells the best pizza at their office.

Inside the park, camping is only permitted at the official park campgrounds, which are heavily booked all summer. And only one park CG has full hookups.

Watch the gas prices in the area, which can vary by up to 40 cents/gallon.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:15 AM   #279

Has anyone come up with an antenna solution yet?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #280

Antenna issue

Not to ignore your question, WNY, but here is a simple reply. We have had so much fun with our 17FQ that we haven't missed the TV at all. Sorry if that doesn't help much, but it works for us.

Tags
cat, modifications