Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #381

I may worry you good folks to death for the next few weeks as we "personalize" our Clipper 17FQ, but what are you using for an oven? Brand and model, if you don't mind. Our favorite camp breakfasts include muffins, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, etc. Been looking over some toaster ovens, but would like some experienced input.

Thanks in advance!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
thewheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewheelman View Post
I may worry you good folks to death for the next few weeks as we "personalize" our Clipper 17FQ, but what are you using for an oven? Brand and model, if you don't mind. Our favorite camp breakfasts include muffins, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, etc. Been looking over some toaster ovens, but would like some experienced input.
Sorry, can't help you. We didn't do the toaster oven thing, DW isn't much of a baker. If we can't cook it on the grill, microwave or stovetop, it doesn't get cooked!
Old 09-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #383

Ovens

Our favorite toaster oven is the Hamilton Beach Toastation. Even got one for our bachelor son.
But for cooking while camping, I would recommend the Camp Chef Propane Oven. Used outdoors, it has a small oven and two burners on top.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #384

Thanks for your input thus far! I've got more questions as I dig into this camper--I intend to put a 12v led strip light above the steps and a led strip under the edge of the awning. Where would I find a hot 12v source to tap into for these? I have opened up the panel above the radio and have a good 12v source there, but I'm not sure where the wires are routed. Is there a diagram of the routing of the wires in this camper? The undercarriage is nicely sealed and I hate to go poking around and cutting holes in it!

Thanks in advance!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #385

Quote:
Thanks for your input thus far! I've got more questions as I dig into this camper--I intend to put a 12v led strip light above the steps and a led strip under the edge of the awning. Where would I find a hot 12v source to tap into for these? I have opened up the panel above the radio and have a good 12v source there, but I'm not sure where the wires are routed. Is there a diagram of the routing of the wires in this camper? The undercarriage is nicely sealed and I hate to go poking around and cutting holes in it!

Thanks in advance!
I ran power from my battery to the pass-thru and installed a fuse block there for accessories.

Is it a manual awning or a power awning?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #386

Welcome wheelman,
If you look back to page 12 on this thread WNY and I discuss our installs and differences between the manual and automatic awnings.
Be a great starting point as WNY was pretty thorough with his instructions.
Much information exists in the pages of this thread...lol.
Cheers...
Old 09-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY_Clipper View Post
Is it a manual awning or a power awning?

It is a manual awning. I planned on putting in a fuse block for the lights. I'm trying to figure how to route the wires.

Thanks again!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #388

Quote:
It is a manual awning. I planned on putting in a fuse block for the lights. I'm trying to figure how to route the wires.
The reason I asked is because the power awnings have a bracket that is attached to the side of the camper that goes from top to close to bottom. I ran my wires up that bracket from my pass-thru to the awning LED strip. I have seen people tap into their porch light for power for their LED strip.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:01 PM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY_Clipper View Post
The reason I asked is because the power awnings have a bracket that is attached to the side of the camper that goes from top to close to bottom. I ran my wires up that bracket from my pass-thru to the awning LED strip. I have seen people tap into their porch light for power for their LED strip.

Thanks! Yes, I wish there was a bracket to hide the wires on mine! I thought I'd tap the porch light or the radio. Don't know if I can snake a wire up under the siding......
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 09-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #390

Hey wheelman,
I drilled a hole thru the siding to the right side of the left awning leg into the space into the ceiling. From there I fed the wire over to the rear vent. With the decorative cover off from the bathroom vent you have access to the ceiling cavity, and a power wire from the bathroom fan. I tapped into my power there.
Was a bit scary drilling into the side of the trailer...but worked out good. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA9385DB-141A-404D-B45B-19D5F6CE1BD5.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	187135  
Old 09-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #391

I love reading this thread! The guys at Lowes, my wife and my credit card--not so much! Great ideas and I'm incorporating a number of them into our camper.

2 questions today! 1) Did I dream it or has someone posted a pic of drawers mounted to the bottom side of the dinette table? Where did they come from? Lowes has nothing! Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #392

Quote:
I love reading this thread! The guys at Lowes, my wife and my credit card--not so much! Great ideas and I'm incorporating a number of them into our camper.

2 questions today! 1) Did I dream it or has someone posted a pic of drawers mounted to the bottom side of the dinette table? Where did they come from? Lowes has nothing! Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

You didnít dream it. Look in the Mods area of the forum.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
You didnít dream it. Look in the Mods area of the forum.

Can you be more specific? I've done searches on "table drawers" and not yet found the post/pics.......
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 09-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #394

No go. I remember seeing it though. Start another thread, about "Hey! Can anybody post up some pics of drawers mounted to the bottom of the table...." or some such, and you'll get there. :^)
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #395

Found 'em! Camping World! with pics!

https://www.campingworld.com/add-a-drawer?rrec=true
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 11-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #396

I'm still working on it!

Looks like I may be the only one still working on a 17FQ, but I'm enjoying it.

One of my next projects is putting in an additional 120v outlet near the dinette location. Have any of you tried this? I hope to tie into the outside outlet and just come straight inside with a handy box or surface box. There's no outlet in the dinette area for my laptop. Any suggestions or tips?

So far, I've installed a tornado, made black-out curtains for the windows and door, removed the dinette and replaced it with 2 glider-rockers, installed a shelf for the dvd player, built and installed a drawer above the power center, and put down a rug.

Over the winter months, I plan to install 1 12v power block, awning lighting, under door lighting, a switch panel, fridge fans, rear view camera, seal the basement (cold air blowing in around my bed!) and build sliding storage for the basement.

I'm fortunate that I have a pad with 30 amp service to store it on!

Thanks in advance! I am always learning something from this forum!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:38 AM   #397

Hey there,
Was actually doing a bit of work on ours today. We mostly camp off the grid so was adding 2) 100 watt solar panels on the roof. Slowly picking away at that as the weather allows. Supposed to have one last day of sun tomorrow so hope to get the last roof penetration done for the wires into to main power area cabinet above the sink.
Iíve added quite a few drawers elsewhere so the ones under the table arenít really needed for us.
Sounds like you are making it your own...we still luv ours. Last big upgrade for us was moving the axle below the springs adding 15Ē wheels and shocks. It towed good before, now itís excellent...
Cheers, Lyle
Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #398

Quote:
Looks like I may be the only one still working on a 17FQ, but I'm enjoying it.
Wheelman, While I no longer own our Clipper, I am still enjoy following everyones MODs, keep it up!

PS, You should see the list of MODs for the new camper....
Old 11-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #399

Add-a-Drawer

The undertable drawer comes from Amazon. Solutions Add-a-Drawer is a little pricey at $25.59 each, but that didn't stop me from installing two last year. If you removed the dinette, where would you install these drawers?

You are not the only 17fq owner but you may be one of a few who can actively work on it thru winter. The low temp here in Idaho was 3 F yesterday. I winterized several weeks ago. I was thinking of taking it south to store for winter, then check on it now when I can get away from work.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #400

AC outlet

As for adding an outlet, note that ALL the original outlets are fed by the same one breaker. You can add outlets till the cows come home, but you won't get more than 15 amps.

I wanted to use some additional electric space heaters but could only use one at a time. I could add a heating module to the Coleman Mach 3 AC, but that costs $80 and would only keep the ceiling warm. Then I found that the AC was fed by its own 20 amp breaker, which was not used for anything else. So I surface mounted a GFCI outlet and tied it into the AC since I won't use the AC and a space heater at the same time. Worked for me.

Tags
cat, modifications