Old 09-28-2020, 10:03 PM   #1

185BHS Weight

Hey everyone!

We just picked our 2021 Apex Nano 185BHS.

After looking around it in more detail, I noticed that the actual weight of the trailer is significantly more than the advertised dry weight on the Coachmen website.

The website indicates a dry weight of 2870 lbs. Our sticker says ours is 3,230 lbs. I've attached the sticker for reference.

We did get both the Offgrid and Outfitter packages. Most of the folks I've talked to with the Offgrid package see their trailers at a little over 3,000 lbs, which I'd expect with the extra LP tank, solar panel, etc. The Outfitter package allegedly only contains the better rims/tires, bike rack and a toy lock. I looked up the toy lock and it says it's 25lbs, the toy lock is negligible and I can't imagine the different tires and rims weighing substantially more than the stock tires.

Can anyone shine any light on this? Would love to hear from you especially if you have the same model with both Offgrid and Outfitter packages

Also, our sticker indicates with a full water tank that we can carry only 63 lbs of cargo. I don't expect to run with a full tank of water but I suppose if we weren't at a hookup, we'd need some water in the tank. What have others done in this position?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4677.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	240212  
jdixon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #2

I had a similar issue, Coachmen seems to way off on listing dry weight on their website. My 288BHS is listed at 4,880 lbs but sticker has actual of 5,209 lbs
Old 09-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
I had a similar issue, Coachmen seems to way off on listing dry weight on their website. My 288BHS is listed at 4,880 lbs but sticker has actual of 5,209 lbs
Man, how can these weights be so off?

Actually doesn't surprise me...lol
Old 09-29-2020, 12:18 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdixon04 View Post
Man, how can these weights be so off?

Actually doesn't surprise me...lol
You must be new to RVs. That's because website/brochure dry weights are fictional numbers, based on a stripped-down version of the trailer. No battery, no propane, no factory options(like the ones you mentioned). Your trailer sticker weight is likely the more accurate number.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You must be new to RVs. That's because website/brochure dry weights are fictional numbers, based on a stripped-down version of the trailer. No battery, no propane, no factory options(like the ones you mentioned). Your trailer sticker weight is likely the more accurate number.
Yep, I am new. I understand that the options add weight but the numbers still don't add up so there must be something else adding to the weight.

The crazy thing to me is how little cargo carrying capacity we ultimately have if that weight on the sticker is correct; 528 lbs. Subtract 360 lbs for myself, wife, dog and 2 year old and suddenly we have about 168 lbs to work with before we're maxed out.

Unless I'm just all wrong on the numbers, it seems like terrible engineering. For example, this model has a sleeping capacity of 5 -- how do you sleep 5 without going over the cargo carrying capacity? 5 infants? Or a 50 gallon water tank -- with that full, basically only an 6 year old can stand in the camper before it's maxed out.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Careful with blanket statements like that. My 2021 290RL numbers:

Brochure

9,919 lbs dry weight
1,825 lbs dry pin weight
12,025 lbs GVWR

From CAT scale right after I picked up the trailer:
10,000 lbs total weight
1,920 pin weight

The trailer had the optional 2nd 15k AC unit on the front and the cold weather package. It also had 2 batteries and 2x30 lbs propane tanks that were full. No water anywhere.

So not all of the manufacturer's weights are fictional.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Yep, I am new. I understand that the options add weight but the numbers still don't add up so there must be something else adding to the weight.

The crazy thing to me is how little cargo carrying capacity we ultimately have if that weight on the sticker is correct; 528 lbs. Subtract 360 lbs for myself, wife, dog and 2 year old and suddenly we have about 168 lbs to work with before we're maxed out.

Unless I'm just all wrong on the numbers, it seems like terrible engineering. For example, this model has a sleeping capacity of 5 -- how do you sleep 5 without going over the cargo carrying capacity? 5 infants? Or a 50 gallon water tank -- with that full, basically only an 6 year old can stand in the camper before it's maxed out.
You won't break the trailer by sleeping 5 people in it and exceeding the GVWR. There is a difference between dynamic and static limits. Fortunately, you don't ride in the trailer when going down the road. Keep it under GVWR going down the road and sleep comfortably while at the campsite.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:

You’ll be fine when parked, it’s the weight while towing you need to watch
Old 09-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #9

185BHS Weight

Wonder how long it will be before the CCC goes negative.

There can be a big difference in actual weight from one identical trailer to another. My guess is the wood used can weigh different amounts. We looked at 4 identically optioned Wildcats years back and they ranged from 6200-6700 lbs. My trailer brochure was 6280 and it came in at 6906. The next year's brochure was upped to 6800.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #10

I'm new to camping/RVing as well. Check out myweight thread here from our first trip. Lots of good info to be had there.

Tags
weight