Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #1

2017 Apex Nano 193BHS - A few questions

Good morning all,

We brought home the new (to us) TT on Monday evening (yay!) and we're starting our laundry list of things to do or buy. We've come up with a few questions:
  • We're planning on giving it a good scrub and wax. According to the literature I found online, the roof is EDPM. From the searches I've done in the forums here, we shouldn't have any issues with a pressure washer (of course avoiding the vents, etc). However for detail scrubbing do we need to put a board across the roof, get one of those long scrub brushes, or can we get on the roof?
  • For the products, it looks like we need to avoid petroleum based products (obviously), and avoid bleach (due to streaking on decals and such). Seems like the consensus is Simple Green or even Dawn for washing, then Meguiar's Quik Wax for the finish. Any others? Doubtful it's been done to this camper before.
  • We will be checking the seams for any cracks when we're up there. Any suggestions for products for sealing?
  • After a quick look up on the roof, I see the TV antenna, the A/C, bath vent, shower skylight, two pipes which I assume are the grey/black vent pipes, and I also see a white plastic vented box about 8"x12" near the edge of the roof over about what would be the fridge or bath wardrobe. Any ideas what this is?
  • We were possibly interested in using the propane tank for a gas grill. I've followed several threads here and it seems that the Weber Q Series are the most popular. There still seems to be two distinct camps for electric (already paid for in the site) vs propane (using up your own precious energy). In the above literature it states there's an LP port, and there's a decal at the bottom of the wall that states to retract the awning before using a gas grill, but I don't see the port. Am I missing something, or do I need to add the port myself?
  • We looked at the tires and they look like they might be "China bombs" (Castle Rock, load range D). We just ordered Goodyear Endurance from our local tire shop (including spare) with the load range E spec. Should we keep the new tires at 80PSI (specs from Goodyear) or something softer?

Thank you again for all of your collective expertise and experience!

Steve
Old 08-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #2

Also, any suggestions for cleaning the awning? Same products (Dawn, Simple Green), or something different?
Old 08-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickPup404 View Post
Good morning all,

We brought home the new (to us) TT on Monday evening (yay!) and we're starting our laundry list of things to do or buy. We've come up with a few questions:
  • We're planning on giving it a good scrub and wax. According to the literature I found online, the roof is EDPM. From the searches I've done in the forums here, we shouldn't have any issues with a pressure washer (of course avoiding the vents, etc). However for detail scrubbing do we need to put a board across the roof, get one of those long scrub brushes, or can we get on the roof?
  • For the products, it looks like we need to avoid petroleum based products (obviously), and avoid bleach (due to streaking on decals and such). Seems like the consensus is Simple Green or even Dawn for washing, then Meguiar's Quik Wax for the finish. Any others? Doubtful it's been done to this camper before.
  • We will be checking the seams for any cracks when we're up there. Any suggestions for products for sealing?
  • After a quick look up on the roof, I see the TV antenna, the A/C, bath vent, shower skylight, two pipes which I assume are the grey/black vent pipes, and I also see a white plastic vented box about 8"x12" near the edge of the roof over about what would be the fridge or bath wardrobe. Any ideas what this is?
  • We were possibly interested in using the propane tank for a gas grill. I've followed several threads here and it seems that the Weber Q Series are the most popular. There still seems to be two distinct camps for electric (already paid for in the site) vs propane (using up your own precious energy). In the above literature it states there's an LP port, and there's a decal at the bottom of the wall that states to retract the awning before using a gas grill, but I don't see the port. Am I missing something, or do I need to add the port myself?
  • We looked at the tires and they look like they might be "China bombs" (Castle Rock, load range D). We just ordered Goodyear Endurance from our local tire shop (including spare) with the load range E spec. Should we keep the new tires at 80PSI (specs from Goodyear) or something softer?

Thank you again for all of your collective expertise and experience!

Steve

Welcome Steve. I am new here as well just got my 2018 193BHS.
Try to answer a few that I know:
1. walking on the roof: I read review that you can as it has an arch roof. I crawled on it myself and the roof is very solid. With that said, I would be very cautious walking on it cleaning as all the body weight will be all on the feet.
2. tire pressure, my is 225/75/15 and the pressure is 65 psi. It is on the side wall of the tire. Check that on yours.

Do you mind me asking how much was your rig? I think I may have overpaid mine at 15G.
Ben999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #4

Hey Ben,

We picked ours up via private party sale for a little over $13k. Prior owners included the yellow Reese hitch lock and the Fastway E2 WDH (600/6000) which we figured was about another $500. Looking at 2017's, the few we saw at online dealers nearby (PA, NY, VA) were all $14-18k. We figured we got a pretty good deal for ours. Seems to be in perfect shape so far from what we can tell.

I would say $15k for a 2018 would probably be fair. Maybe a tiny touch high for private seller (just a few hundred "maybe"), but pretty good if you got from a dealer.

We already bought new mattresses for ours - Zinus 5" from Amazon. The spec sheet says that the mattress is a full size queen and shows it running wall to wall (60x80), but it has a little cubby at the headboard so it's a short queen (60x75). We bought four of the mattresses, plus a short queen mattress cover and we think we'll be good. (We also bought five packs of the foam floor squares from HFT with the $2 coupon for $35. Nine squares will do the queen, then 4.5 per bunk. Should be plenty comfortable!)

Does anyone have anything for managing the trunnion bars? I was thinking of mounting a couple sections of PVC in a 2x6 so I can slide them in when they're not in use instead of taking up room in the storage area.