Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #1

2017 Freedom Express 246RKS - Mounting a kayak rack on the rear?

This is something I am thinking about doing after the weather cools down but wondered about your thoughts about how to mount a kayak rack I want to fabricate. I would only carry one kayak so the overall weight would be always less than 75 lbs. However with a bounce on the back of the trailer I am guessing I should build out for maybe 3 times the load? I have seen the existing rack mounts and they are taller than my current trailer height at the top and too low on the bottom in the vertical position they all mount in.

My thought is to build an angled rack that would keep the length of the Kayak within the frame of the trailer and still have it high enough off the ground not to drag on a down bounce. I want clearance because I would likely only use the Kayak boondocking a fair ways down the beach and it can get bumpy in spots especially in the off seasons when there is not as much traffic to smooth the path.

So my basic questions are:
1) Is there a weight rating to bolt onto bumper?
2) which side of the rear has wooden studs for ladder support?

My description my be a test of my technical writing abilities! My inspiration was the swing out BBQ hitch carrier mounts, that bolt onto the right rear (passenger side) bumper. But instead of swinging out. I would have a bracket that would swivel more like a clock dial mounted as the bottom support. I could drag then drag the nose of the kayak into that, and then rotate the mount(envision a clock) so I could lift up the other end of the kayak into the high mounted bracket on the opposite side and lock into place.

In other words if you were looking at the back of my trailer, the bottom mount would be on the right passenger side, and the top fixed mount would be on the upper left drivers side. you would see a tilted kayak with the top secured at 11 o'clock, and the bottom swivel mount at the 5 o'clock position. The swivel mount at the bottom takes some of the weight and rotating up the other end into the upper mount should be effortless.

If the bumper could carry the load with U bolt mounts, and I can find the rear studs I can do this easy peasy. I sort of assume I will need to tie into onto the frame with some hillbilly engineering though. Which in the end my be wiser.
horn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom, freedom express, mount