Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2020, 06:55 AM   #1

2020 Freedom Express - no light switches in bedroom for lights??

Hi.
Just recently upgraded to a 2020 F.E. 259FKDS. Our old trailer had a nice ceiling light switch in the bedroom but low and behold... none to be found in this new one.
Simple solution was to install this 'Relay Switch DC 12V Wireless RF Remote Control Switch' on one of the lights to remotely control it.
We have four ceiling lights and found one that, once disconnected, it also controlled one more. I guess they are wired in pairs.
I installed this switch on the one light and voila.. I can now control two of the lights remotely. The other two, I still have to manually operate but this will help my 5'3" wife since she cannot reach the ceiling at all.
Took a bit to figure out how to wire and set it up but once I 'read' the instructions clearly, got it done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wireless relay switch.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	226091  
montelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #2

Where did you buy the relay and remote?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #3

Amazon... just make sure to look for 12 volt wireless remote relay switch.. some come with remotes that have two buttons (which you don't need). They have some that take care of 120volts so just make sure to pick the right one.
This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-02-2020, 07:02 PM   #4

This is a great post! We have a new to us Freedom Express 2019 246RKS and I may need this for my 5’0” wife!
PolaroidPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

Congrats on your new upgrade. We recently bought the same Coachmen. Yes, those bedroom lamps are irritating. I'm happy you found a solution. I will attempt to fix the issue also. Can you take a few photo on your setup and post them for me. I'd like to know where I start to hook into the lighting grid two get a pair working like yours. The only issue we have had so far was the overhead shirt rack in the bedroom closet ripping out from the ceiling. Also the slider door plastic strap ripped off. Both EZ fixes. Also installed puck lighting in most of the closets. And the best add on a new door lock.. combination and key fob plus key entry.... very sweet!!
arthager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #6

What I found is that the four lights in the bedroom along with the light and fan in the bathroom are on the same 12v circuit.
I also didn't need all four bedroom lights to be 'controlled' by the controller. I just wanted the two lights closest to the bedroom entry door to be switchable.

I disconnected the light closest to the head of the bed from the main 12 volt line (making sure that the original circuit remained connected though) and did the same thing with the one closest to the ceiling vent.
Then, I ran a new 12 volt line to hook up both these lights together with all of the wiring ending up through the ceiling opening for the wiring of the light closest to the vent. I was able to pull down the ceiling vent fascia down to get access to the 'attic' to fish the wiring through.

With the 'main' 12 volt line available near the light closest to the vent, I only needed to hook up a new line to that 'main circuit' to feed the two disconnected lights. You now end up with two wires poking through the mounting hole: the one connecting both lights and one to get 12 volt power.

At that point, it's just a matter of hooking up the proper wires to the relay switch and do the programming of it (as per instructions). I have the relay mounted to the ceiling right next to the light fixture where I can get to it if needed. I didn't want to mount it in the 'attic' area (out of sight) since it would get real hot up there and may be prone to failure.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthager View Post
Congrats on your new upgrade. We recently bought the same Coachmen. Yes, those bedroom lamps are irritating. I'm happy you found a solution. I will attempt to fix the issue also. Can you take a few photo on your setup and post them for me. I'd like to know where I start to hook into the lighting grid two get a pair working like yours. The only issue we have had so far was the overhead shirt rack in the bedroom closet ripping out from the ceiling. Also the slider door plastic strap ripped off. Both EZ fixes. Also installed puck lighting in most of the closets. And the best add on a new door lock.. combination and key fob plus key entry.... very sweet!!
What did you choose for the puck lights? Motion sensing? And who’s door lock?
PolaroidPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #8

We bought them on Amazon. The puck motion detector lamps and the the door lock
Old 07-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #9

https://www.amazon.ca/Keyless-Deadbo...MDW50EE96R5A0K
Old 07-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #10

mr beam led puck lamps battery type https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S3YG7Y3...6046742&sr=8-1

Tags
bed, freedom, freedom express, light, roo, switch