Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mararra View Post
Guess I can scratch Coachmen off my short list.
Don't. Many Coachmen owners here that don't have any problems with their trailers
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman Bob View Post
OK, I've been watching this forum since finding cracks in five of the six welds nearest the wheels on our 2014 246RKS Freedom Express and while working through the process of getting repairs done.

I took photographs of the cracks and emailed Lippert, the frame manufacturer. They immediately responded, asking for additional pictures of the front and back of the trailer, and of the entire spring mounting system on each side. Don't know why they wanted the spring pictures, but they probably wanted to make sure I hadn't put a ladder, bike rack, or trailer hitch on the back or front, which will immediately void any warranty.

Once they had looked at the pictures, they sent me to one of their dealers for an estimate. I chose Camping World since the only other dealer who would even agree to look at it had a longer time before they could get to the job. It still took quite a while for Camping World to come up with an estimate. In the end, Lippert sent one of their welders up to complete the repair job. They paid Camping World to remove the belly pan plastic and put it back after welding.

From what was said, it appears these frames have welded-up I beams rather than forged I beams and the design engineering was done by Coachmen. At least that's the story I got.

Repairs consisted of grinding out the stress cracks, re-welding the ground out areas, and welding on a plate that covers the affected area and is welded on all sides. They put six of these on our frame.

We'll continue to watch this, so I may have to report back. To anyone experiencing a similar problem, I would advise immediately contacting Lippert or the manufacturer of your frame. There is a label on the frame indicating the maker and date of manufacture.

I still don't know what the warranty is on this frame, but Lippert made no issue of this and stepped right up to the plate in order to make repairs. My only cost was the time it took to haul the trailer to the shop and back.

Bob, can you tell me where you found the label on the frame indicating the manufacture date. Did they reinforce all the locations where the cross members attached to the main frame?
Indiana man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #23

I would have wanted to see the work before they buttoned it up. Even if it meant bribing a CW employee ot let me know when they were working on it.
Trust. But verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman Bob View Post
OK, I've been watching this forum since finding cracks in five of the six welds nearest the wheels on our 2014 246RKS Freedom Express and while working through the process of getting repairs done.

I took photographs of the cracks and emailed Lippert, the frame manufacturer. They immediately responded, asking for additional pictures of the front and back of the trailer, and of the entire spring mounting system on each side. Don't know why they wanted the spring pictures, but they probably wanted to make sure I hadn't put a ladder, bike rack, or trailer hitch on the back or front, which will immediately void any warranty.

Once they had looked at the pictures, they sent me to one of their dealers for an estimate. I chose Camping World since the only other dealer who would even agree to look at it had a longer time before they could get to the job. It still took quite a while for Camping World to come up with an estimate. In the end, Lippert sent one of their welders up to complete the repair job. They paid Camping World to remove the belly pan plastic and put it back after welding.

From what was said, it appears these frames have welded-up I beams rather than forged I beams and the design engineering was done by Coachmen. At least that's the story I got.

Repairs consisted of grinding out the stress cracks, re-welding the ground out areas, and welding on a plate that covers the affected area and is welded on all sides. They put six of these on our frame.

We'll continue to watch this, so I may have to report back. To anyone experiencing a similar problem, I would advise immediately contacting Lippert or the manufacturer of your frame. There is a label on the frame indicating the maker and date of manufacture.

I still don't know what the warranty is on this frame, but Lippert made no issue of this and stepped right up to the plate in order to make repairs. My only cost was the time it took to haul the trailer to the shop and back.

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
BurgPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #24
Happy Keystone Owner

Got my notice of recall today.
Must’ve been big problem for 2013 & 2014.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	155214Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	155215

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #25

Important Safety Recall

We received a Safety Recall for our 2013 Freedom Express 246RKS for "The frames do not have reinforcement stiffeners welded onto the exterior of the I-Beam to mitigate flex in the axle area". This exists in "certain 2013-2014 model year Coachmen - Freedom Express - FET21TQX, FET22DSX, FET230BH, FET233RBS, FET246RKS & FET269BHS travel trailer recreational vehicles". Forest River completely covers your cost for the remedy. Contact your dealer without delay. You may be eligible for a refund of previously paid repairs within the scope of this defect under recall.
We've had no issues and the lousy roads we've traveled it's a wonder we didn't! Got the recall notice the same day we decided to trade in on a 2018, same make, model and floorplan.
Lippert Customer Service (574) 537-8900
Forest River - Freedom Express Customer Service (574) 825-8205
Old 11-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #26
Happy Keystone Owner

I’m hesitant to take mine in. After about 16000 miles after modifying my frame and no additional cracks, I’d hate for them to return it to stock to put their fix in and fail.

Years camping....55
Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
I’m hesitant to take mine in. After about 16000 miles after modifying my frame and no additional cracks, I’d hate for them to return it to stock to put their fix in and fail.

I was informed the other day that my Anniversary Edition 2014 24RKS was not covered by the recall. It now has significant cracks in the frame. How do you figure that one!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana man View Post
I was informed the other day that my Anniversary Edition 2014 24RKS was not covered by the recall. It now has significant cracks in the frame. How do you figure that one!
Keep checking with them. Our recall notice only arrived 3 days ago. They may be continuing to add other models. We had no frame issues but couldn't put up with the worsening delamination problem on the front, which we received no help with except paying for replacement ourselves. New models changed the front panels entirely.
Good luck!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
MIght be worth the call to see about reimbursement.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #30
Happy Keystone Owner

246 RKS Freedom Express 2013 frame stress fractures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Flanigan View Post
MIght be worth the call to see about reimbursement.

It was direct billed to my dealer who then had to fight lippert for reimbursement.

Years camping....55
Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #31

appears that the recall affects under 1000 trailers.
Coachmen Freedom Express recall
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #32

What, not included in recall?

Follow this thread back to some of the original postings you will see I identified stress issues on the frames of these trailers in 2016. Now Coachman tells me my serial number is not included in the recall. I provided pictures at their request but still have not received any indication they are going to address this issue. Guess I’m going to have to contact the National Highway Safety people directly. Coachman wants to pass the responsibility to include my trailer in the recall to the frame manufacturer. Limited recall? By whose definition? Last Coachman product for me!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana man View Post
Follow this thread back to some of the original postings you will see I identified stress issues on the frames of these trailers in 2016. Now Coachman tells me my serial number is not included in the recall. I provided pictures at their request but still have not received any indication they are going to address this issue. Guess I’m going to have to contact the National Highway Safety people directly. Coachman wants to pass the responsibility to include my trailer in the recall to the frame manufacturer. Limited recall? By whose definition? Last Coachman product for me!
Hello neighbor (eastside Evansville). Have you considered making a trip to Coachmen factory and have (demand), them make repairs to your trailer?

Might be worth a shot.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, frame, freedom express