Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #1

360IBL Fantastic Fan

Hey all, I want to mount a fantastic fan in my master bedroom. Right now there is just a vent. I haven't taken the vent apart to see if there is wiring yet (hope so). If I get lucky and there is a vent can anyone recommend the type of sealant to use on the roof. Any other tricks or things to watch for. Thanks for any advice. Safe travels.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

I recently installed one in our new 266 and it was not difficult. The main thing is to blunt the corners of a putty knife to avoid cutting into the roof when removing the sealant on the existing vent. Also, definitely use a heat gun on the old sealant and go very slowly. This part is at least 60% of your time on this installation. The heat gun softens the sealant so that you don't need to use any force. Be sure to take a bag with you for getting rid of the trash as you go.

On my unit the hole was boxed in but only 1/8" plywood was to the front. I opened this up and easily found the lighting wires inside. Making the connection is fairly easy and I closed the hole with Gorilla tape. I did find that the interior fan panel was not quite deep enough to slip inside the fan housing but the deficit is negligible once everything is installed.

I put a MaxxAir cover over it. I was concerned that since this allowed only 9" clearance and the fully opened fan was 12" that this might damage the lift mechanism. I was assured by the company that the lift motor would shut off when it reached the resistance of the cover.

You should apply caulking tape under the vent flange before seating it. The sealant should be self-leveling and should cover every screw head and extend well beyond the lip of the flange. You will see where the original sealant was.
Bocamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan