Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #1

360IBL Tires

My 2018 has 235/80R16 E tires. I have noticed the 2020 model has 235/85R16 F. Same GVWR and same axle ratings.

To me this is goodness. The Chaparral series that starts with the 360IBL has a robust undercarriage. Moving to LR F tires is just icing on the cake.

My observations:
-235/80R16 LR F and G are available but hard to come by. I fear that if I have to get a tire replaced on the road, it will be difficult to find this tire so I want to stay with a mainstream size vs mix/match load ranges
-235/85R16 LR G is a mainstream size and widely available.

My question:
Any of you 360 owners changed to the 85R16 tire size? I would sure like to move to Load Range G (Sailun or Goodyear G614) on the next tire change.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #2

In the tire world, replacing tires that do not conform to the vehicle tire placard is called Plus Sizing”. Unless your trailer’s manufacturer has recommended optional sizes you’ll be on your own in your search for new tires.

To go from LRE original equipment tires to any of the LRG tires you have mentioned will almost certainly require new wheels. Some of the LRG tires have a minimum wheel rim width requirement of 6.5” and all will have maximum inflation pressures in the 110 PSI area.

The least expensive option will be one of the many ST235/85R16 LRG tires available from the China tire builders. I’m just guessing here but I think the easiest ones to find will come from one of the newest ones on the market from Carlisle. They probably have the widest range of USA distribution centers and retailer participation.

Here is their link;

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl-16

Their ST235/80R16 LRG is not considered a “Plus Size” because it conforms to the same load inflation chart as your OE tires.

All of the ST235/85R16 tires are going to be about an inch taller than your OE tires. It’s an area for you to insure has the clearance for taller tires. Trailer axles are notoriously installed very close to each other and an inch can affect the “go no go” fitment parameters.

NOTE: I’m not recommending a brand, I’m just presenting an option.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the guidance, I hadn't considered the rim width requirement but did confirm I have 6.5". Also, Rims are 110PSI.

Now I just need to verify the +1" diameter spacing on the trailer.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
Thanks for the guidance, I hadn't considered the rim width requirement but did confirm I have 6.5". Also, Rims are 110PSI.

Now I just need to verify the +1" diameter spacing on the trailer.
Don't forget to upgrade your valve stems. Even the steel stems need seal replacements and the time to do it is when the tires are changed.

When "Plus sizing" your tires you'll need to use a load/inflation chart for the plus sized tires. I recommend using a cold inflation pressure that will allow them to provide, at the minimum, 15% in load capacity reserves above your vehicle certified axle requirements.

Tags
tire, tires