Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #21

We took off June 1 and returned home July 25 and drive a little over 4500 miles. Left home in SW Virginia, stayed a few days in Luray; headed to Hershey, PA for 3 days; on to Ashford, CT (just to camp in CT); then on to Old Orchard Beach, ME. Spent 5 days there eating lobster, then headed back south. Foster, RI for 4 days, then to NYC. Stayed at Liberty Harbor for 5 days (over Independence Day) and then headed on further south. Met the parents in VA for a night so we could celebrate the youngest ones birthday, then on to Point South, SC for a couple of nights, then on to Hunting Island, SC for 2 weeks. It was a great trip.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
We will be driving across I-80 first stop in Gothenburg Ne (koa) second night in mid Wyoming third night Elko NV fourth night in destination grass valley California.
Normal (Go Redbirds) to Gothenburg, NE (KOA) = 677 miles
Gothenburg to Rawlins, WY = 401 miles

or maybe:

Normal to Grand Island, NE (KOA) = 581 miles
Grand Island to Rawlins = 509 miles

The KOA in Grand Island is just off I-80; we stopped there two years ago.

I'd stay (again) in Wells, NV about 50 miles east of Elko at Mountain Shadows RV Park.
RVParkList.com

If your rig isn't really really long you can take Hwy 20 from I-80 (near mile 161) to Grass Valley. Our overall length is about 47' and we take it when coming back from Florida to Lakeport (on Hwy 20).

Old 03-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #23

Quote:
How far has your longest trip been?

We snowbird from Lakeport, CA (an hour north of Napa Valley) to near Ocala, FL (an hour and fifteen minutes north of Orlando).

About 3K miles each way. Spend 3 months of summer in Lakeport (it's hotter than Florida but doesn't have the humidity issues) and 8 months in Summerfield, FL and about 1 month driving back and forth and checking out places along the way.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
May I ask the route you would plan to take and places you plan to stop? We are in Michigan and are considering a trip to CA. I have never been west and have no idea what I might be getting myself into! lol Figure now is the time to research.

Late Spring, Summer, Early Fall on I-80. For Norcal: I-90 and/or I-70 for a change of scenery. For Socal: I-40 and/or I-10.

I-80 gets up to 8,000 feet or so in places but it isn't twisty or steep. Just about 4 lane divided all the way. As I remember (from a trip in 1978), I-90 only get up to about 5,000 feet. I-70 west of Denver goes up to around 11,500 feet and steep in places, I believe - never taken it out of Denver going west.

What are you driving and where in CA are you going? From where in Michigan? How much time for the trip?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
Normal (Go Redbirds) to Gothenburg, NE (KOA) = 677 miles
Gothenburg to Rawlins, WY = 401 miles

or maybe:

Normal to Grand Island, NE (KOA) = 581 miles
Grand Island to Rawlins = 509 miles

The KOA in Grand Island is just off I-80; we stopped there two years ago.

I'd stay (again) in Wells, NV about 50 miles east of Elko at Mountain Shadows RV Park.
RVParkList.com

If your rig isn't really really long you can take Hwy 20 from I-80 (near mile 161) to Grass Valley. Our overall length is about 47' and we take it when coming back from Florida to Lakeport (on Hwy 20).

the first leg of the trip we will leave Friday evening and drive into iowa than rest for a few hours before pushing in to grand island. Grand island is a good idea will keep that in mind Mountain Shadows is great idea thanks very much for the info and help.
mdrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Late Spring, Summer, Early Fall on I-80. For Norcal: I-90 and/or I-70 for a change of scenery. For Socal: I-40 and/or I-10.

I-80 gets up to 8,000 feet or so in places but it isn't twisty or steep. Just about 4 lane divided all the way. As I remember (from a trip in 1978), I-90 only get up to about 5,000 feet. I-70 west of Denver goes up to around 11,500 feet and steep in places, I believe - never taken it out of Denver going west.

What are you driving and where in CA are you going? From where in Michigan? How much time for the trip?
What kind of hitch are you using? I am using dues friction sway but thinking about buying a 4 point Equalizer hitch I hear that wind will be an issue.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
WE have 16 days of vacation want to spend 6 days with family in California, leaving us 5 days on either side to drive 2000 miles each way. it will be a bit of a push but doable, the only problem I can see is if we hit high winds in Wyoming ( I-80) and stopping every 150 miles for gas.
Personally I think that is too far for a 2 week vacation. You will spend all of your time on the road and you will be exhausted from "pushing". You want time to camp and hike; and maybe even relax.

My FAVORITE place to camp (we are from MN) is the Big Horns in Wyoming. Much closer and underutilized area. You can camp at elevation where it is cool at night. You can hike all day and never see another person. You will need to be equipped to dry camp. Probably would need a small generator.

There is ALWAYS wind when you tow out West. And remember it get you from 3 directions. Side winds are as bad as head winds. Gas stations can be scarce. If you have a typical 25ish gallon tank, there are places where you need to fill if you go below 1/2 tank as it can be 100+ miles between fueling stations. I've always found I-80 to be a good route.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #28

Filling up every 150 miles, sounds like you going to use a lot of gas. Our trip from MD to Yellowstone took 16 tanks (with a 25 gal tank that is about 400 gallons) and I got 14 mpg on that trip.
Have you considered not taking the camper and using the camping cabins? I am also in the planning stages for my second big trip (to grand canyon from maryland) and taking into account the gas milage, cost of gas and the price difference between a camp site and cabin, it would be cheaper to rent camping cabins. Just something to think about.

But I really would rather take the camper LOL....
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #29

Quote:
the first leg of the trip we will leave Friday evening and drive into iowa than rest for a few hours before pushing in to grand island. Grand island is a good idea will keep that in mind Mountain Shadows is great idea thanks very much for the info and help.
I thought about taking 20 but with a total of 50 + ft back of trailer to front of truck I felt 20 might be to tight.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Filling up every 150 miles, sounds like you going to use a lot of gas. Our trip from MD to Yellowstone took 16 tanks (with a 25 gal tank that is about 400 gallons) and I got 14 mpg on that trip.
Have you considered not taking the camper and using the camping cabins? I am also in the planning stages for my second big trip (to grand canyon from maryland) and taking into account the gas milage, cost of gas and the price difference between a camp site and cabin, it would be cheaper to rent camping cabins. Just something to think about.

But I really would rather take the camper LOL....
bringing the dogs and staying by family for six days once we get to California I will need the privacy. I have a 37 gal tank but with a 7000 pound trailer 8-10 is the best I can expect depending on wind. thank for the suggestions though.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #31

4100 Miles in 3 weeks Sept/Oct 2013. Left NC for Pa, then to Spearfish SD, meandering back in a not so direct route. It was a good break-in for our Solera, watching the mileage increase with every tankful.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #32

1500 mile last year from central MI up into the U.P and around the entire peninsula from the sault to copper harbor, to garden and back

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #33

Quote:

We are traveling from normal Illinois to grass valley Ca. Driving a 2012 ram 2500 (gas) 410 gear ratio pulling 30 ft coachmen rks 2013.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
1500 mile last year from central MI up into the U.P and around the entire peninsula from the sault to copper harbor, to garden and back
Going to make that trip next year.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Going to make that trip next year.
we took 41 up to copper harbor when you get out of marquette and go north make sure your brakes are in good shape, it is a very narrow road with lots of up and downs and tight turns, plus the mining trucks haul arse around that place. the worst traveling with a camper I have ever drove, but the sights make the trip

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #36

longest trip

we were gone 65 days from fl to tetons, yellowstone,glacer,badlands nashville and many more loved it // this was last year going to grand canyon ect .this year
coachmen1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #37

Last summer we took 10 days from northern MN to Shelby and Bigfork, MT to visit family and then on to Glacier and home again. Approx. 2800 miles, got 11-12 mpg towing TT, around 18 without it. Was a great trip!
keep camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #38

5368 miles in just over three weeks. NE Pa to very SW corner of New Mexico then up to Phoenix, back down to SW New Mexico and then home in Pa. We needed to get to New Mexico so we just drove through. Screwed up some because most camp grounds were closed so we just drove until about 7:00pm and grabbed a hotel. Being as getting there was our goal we just grabbed a hotel since it was quicker. Once in New Mexico we camped for 10 days. Went up to Phoenix to visit family and then started trip home, reversing our route. Trip went off without any issues until we were about 300 miles from home and my wife made a comment about how we did not have any weather related issues. 10 minutes later it started to snow and 250 of 300 miles was brutal on I-80. We stopped about every 200-250 miles whether we need fuel or not just to stretch. Averaged just over 13 mpg with our cummins diesel. While we did not stop a lot on the way out we took our time coming home and stopped whenever we saw something of interest.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #39

Went from west Michigan through the UP to Alaska and back. 10,000 miles. Two months.
Michigan-traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #40

Our longest trip was summer of 2013. We had 2 family reunions to go to on my hubbys side. So Hubby, I, His mom and step dad, Sister and her husband took two cars and two tents. And left Florida, first stop was Baily's point in Kentucky, Loved that place and plan to go back. We were only there 2 nights, but made it to Mammoth caves, Makers Mark, and Lincoln's birth place. Then got back on the road and headed to Iowa, was there 3 nights for first reunion. Then headed to Oklahoma and stayed at Chickasaw National park 2 nights then was on then was on the road to Texas for 2nd reunion. Was there 3 nights then on the road back to Florida.

It was a 4800 mile trip in 13 days. Never want to do that again! LOL!

Sharon
My Blog: https://campingandgardening.blogspot.com/
rsmobley85 is offline   Reply With Quote