Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
A shocking experience 192RBS

I just inherited one from my folks and I noticed this morning, while under plug power, that when I grabbed the edge of the door to secure it open I received a pretty good shock . This does not occur under battery power.

I have been trying to find any information on it without success and thought I would try here and see if anyone might have an idea.
__________________

TorcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorcB View Post
I just inherited one from my folks and I noticed this morning, while under plug power, that when I grabbed the edge of the door to secure it open I received a pretty good shock . This does not occur under battery power.

I have been trying to find any information on it without success and thought I would try here and see if anyone might have an idea.
You probably need to start a new thread on this subject....

However, YOU NEED TO GET A PROFESSIONAL TO LOOK AT THIS PROBLEM. I'm shouting because this is a potentially dangerous situation. People can get killed when the trailer isn't properly grounded.
__________________

__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 23,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorcB View Post
I just inherited one from my folks and I noticed this morning, while under plug power, that when I grabbed the edge of the door to secure it open I received a pretty good shock . This does not occur under battery power.

I have been trying to find any information on it without success and thought I would try here and see if anyone might have an idea.

We keep a sticky on this at the top of the electrical section:


https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-rv-89191.html


You have a grounding problem. Mike Sokol, Our resident expert (and he is an expert) on this matter will explain it all in the link above.


PLEASE PLEASE read this and get if corrected before someone gets hurt.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS


I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wilderness CG, WI
Posts: 3,927
Unplug from shore power immediately! This should have been the first thing said. You have a hot skin condition, for some reason you have 120vac going to the chassis.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Turned out to be a faulty wall outlet they were pluged into. Changed to a different wall socket and the issue was resolved.
TorcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wilderness CG, WI
Posts: 3,927
Glad you found the cause of the problem. Be sure they get that faulty outlet fixed.
A big Thank You for letting us know.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
satdog01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 690
Sounds like a good reason to invest in a good EMS system! Should have caught a faulty ground! Mine did in state park in AL when they had the big maintenance cutback a few years back. Neutral had burned off inside plug receptacle housing. Not to speak of electronics damage.
__________________
2020 Georgetown 31L, Safe T steering, Sumo springs, Onan Geny
2015 GMC Canyon 4X4 TOAD w/Blue Ox tow plates
Pepper 🌶 Pomeranian rescue 335 nights as camping buddy
Days camped in FR, 2011-12 = 77, ‘13-14 = 98, ‘15 = 52
‘16 = 77, ‘17 = 81, ‘18 = 44, 19’ = 83, 2020 = 8
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
satdog01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 690
By the way on use of 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone, Progressive told me 50 amp EMS will work on 30 amp service just for one leg. I asked because I have 30 wired when I had tt. Still nice to use it with 50 amp Georgetown to Check out systems, water heater, ac on at a time, refrigerator before hitting the road!
__________________
2020 Georgetown 31L, Safe T steering, Sumo springs, Onan Geny
2015 GMC Canyon 4X4 TOAD w/Blue Ox tow plates
Pepper 🌶 Pomeranian rescue 335 nights as camping buddy
Days camped in FR, 2011-12 = 77, ‘13-14 = 98, ‘15 = 52
‘16 = 77, ‘17 = 81, ‘18 = 44, 19’ = 83, 2020 = 8
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #9
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Glad you found the cause of the problem. Be sure they get that faulty outlet fixed.
A big Thank You for letting us know.
X2! That's a dangerous condition there. That fault is bad enough to cause a "hot skin" on your RV, and needs to be corrected before anyone uses that outlet again.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2! That's a dangerous condition there. That fault is bad enough to cause a "hot skin" on your RV, and needs to be corrected before anyone uses that outlet again.
I had that situation on an EMS Helicopter I was flying. It was plugged into keep the AC running and the fluids cool.

When I touched the skin of the aircraft I felt a tingling shock.. The extension cord had been made up by someone before I went to work there.

It turned out the Neutral and Ground wires were each on the wrong terminal in the Female end of the extension. I fixed it.

That was a potentially deadly situation. Others knew but said nothing about it
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 173
Just be aware that not all Hot Skin conditions are identified by an EMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Sounds like a good reason to invest in a good EMS system! Should have caught a faulty ground! Mine did in state park in AL when they had the big maintenance cutback a few years back. Neutral had burned off inside plug receptacle housing. Not to speak of electronics damage.
__________________
Old- 2002 21 Roo
New- 2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS
TV- 2010 Nissan Titan CC
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 6,627
Yes...if it is because of a fault after the EMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
Just be aware that not all Hot Skin conditions are identified by an EMS.
__________________
2017 Coachmen 233RBS
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco
"Common sense is not very common"
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
Just be aware that not all Hot Skin conditions are identified by an EMS.
Was that an EMS or was it just a Surge Protector? An EMS should have caught the open neutral.
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Was that an EMS or was it just a Surge Protector? An EMS should have caught the open neutral.

A "hot" frame is not caused by an open neutral.



What I was taught as an apprentice 38 years ago and still holds true today, if your missing your ground connection, and somehow the hot wire gets loose and touches the metal frame normally it would cause a short and trip the circuit breaker. Without a ground the frame becomes energized, a tragedy waiting to happen. That's why toasters don't have a ground wire, for the morons that dig in them with a metal utensil with one hand and hold the toaster with the other. In the case of the OP sounds like a DIYer mis-wired a house outlet.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
A "hot" frame is not caused by an open neutral.



What I was taught as an apprentice 38 years ago and still holds true today, if your missing your ground connection, and somehow the hot wire gets loose and touches the metal frame normally it would cause a short and trip the circuit breaker. Without a ground the frame becomes energized, a tragedy waiting to happen. That's why toasters don't have a ground wire, for the morons that dig in them with a metal utensil with one hand and hold the toaster with the other. In the case of the OP sounds like a DIYer mis-wired a house outlet.
The Hot frame (fuselage of the aircraft) was caused by the ground and neutral in the extension cord's female end being reversed. The male end was molded so it could not have been the issue.

When I took the replacement female end I found the ground (green wire) connected to the silver screw (which Im sure your apprenticeship taught you was the neutral terminal). The white wire was connected to the Black Screw (Ground terminal) The only one correct was the black wire connected to the brass colored terminal.

This condition caused the frame of the aircraft to become energized whenever current was flowing to any appliance in the aircraft running on that 120 Volt system.
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
The Hot frame (fuselage of the aircraft) was caused by the ground and neutral in the extension cord's female end being reversed. The male end was molded so it could not have been the issue.

When I took the replacement female end I found the ground (green wire) connected to the silver screw (which Im sure your apprenticeship taught you was the neutral terminal). The white wire was connected to the Black Screw (Ground terminal) The only one correct was the black wire connected to the brass colored terminal.

This condition caused the frame of the aircraft to become energized whenever current was flowing to any appliance in the aircraft running on that 120 Volt system.

Something else was going on to energize the frame because both the green and white wires are electrically and mechanically connected together back at the service entrance. BTW the ground wire goes onto the green hex screw. It's hex shaped to ID it if the green paint wears off
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
Lifetime camper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Middletown CT
Posts: 17
I had a hoy skin condition caused by a damaged Electrial plug in my garage.
__________________

Big BillyB71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.


×