Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

A shocking experience 192RBS

I just inherited one from my folks and I noticed this morning, while under plug power, that when I grabbed the edge of the door to secure it open I received a pretty good shock . This does not occur under battery power.

I have been trying to find any information on it without success and thought I would try here and see if anyone might have an idea.
TorcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorcB View Post
I just inherited one from my folks and I noticed this morning, while under plug power, that when I grabbed the edge of the door to secure it open I received a pretty good shock . This does not occur under battery power.

I have been trying to find any information on it without success and thought I would try here and see if anyone might have an idea.
You probably need to start a new thread on this subject....

However, YOU NEED TO GET A PROFESSIONAL TO LOOK AT THIS PROBLEM. I'm shouting because this is a potentially dangerous situation. People can get killed when the trailer isn't properly grounded.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorcB View Post

We keep a sticky on this at the top of the electrical section:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-rv-89191.html

You have a grounding problem. Mike Sokol, Our resident expert (and he is an expert) on this matter will explain it all in the link above.

PLEASE PLEASE read this and get if corrected before someone gets hurt.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Unplug from shore power immediately! This should have been the first thing said. You have a hot skin condition, for some reason you have 120vac going to the chassis.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #5

Turned out to be a faulty wall outlet they were pluged into. Changed to a different wall socket and the issue was resolved.
TorcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Glad you found the cause of the problem. Be sure they get that faulty outlet fixed.
A big Thank You for letting us know.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #7

Sounds like a good reason to invest in a good EMS system! Should have caught a faulty ground! Mine did in state park in AL when they had the big maintenance cutback a few years back. Neutral had burned off inside plug receptacle housing. Not to speak of electronics damage.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #8

By the way on use of 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone, Progressive told me 50 amp EMS will work on 30 amp service just for one leg. I asked because I have 30 wired when I had tt. Still nice to use it with 50 amp Georgetown to Check out systems, water heater, ac on at a time, refrigerator before hitting the road!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Glad you found the cause of the problem. Be sure they get that faulty outlet fixed.
A big Thank You for letting us know.
X2! That's a dangerous condition there. That fault is bad enough to cause a "hot skin" on your RV, and needs to be corrected before anyone uses that outlet again.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2! That's a dangerous condition there. That fault is bad enough to cause a "hot skin" on your RV, and needs to be corrected before anyone uses that outlet again.
I had that situation on an EMS Helicopter I was flying. It was plugged into keep the AC running and the fluids cool.

When I touched the skin of the aircraft I felt a tingling shock.. The extension cord had been made up by someone before I went to work there.

It turned out the Neutral and Ground wires were each on the wrong terminal in the Female end of the extension. I fixed it.

That was a potentially deadly situation. Others knew but said nothing about it
Old 06-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #11

Just be aware that not all Hot Skin conditions are identified by an EMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Sounds like a good reason to invest in a good EMS system! Should have caught a faulty ground! Mine did in state park in AL when they had the big maintenance cutback a few years back. Neutral had burned off inside plug receptacle housing. Not to speak of electronics damage.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #12

Yes...if it is because of a fault after the EMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
Was that an EMS or was it just a Surge Protector? An EMS should have caught the open neutral.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Was that an EMS or was it just a Surge Protector? An EMS should have caught the open neutral.

A "hot" frame is not caused by an open neutral.

What I was taught as an apprentice 38 years ago and still holds true today, if your missing your ground connection, and somehow the hot wire gets loose and touches the metal frame normally it would cause a short and trip the circuit breaker. Without a ground the frame becomes energized, a tragedy waiting to happen. That's why toasters don't have a ground wire, for the morons that dig in them with a metal utensil with one hand and hold the toaster with the other. In the case of the OP sounds like a DIYer mis-wired a house outlet.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
A "hot" frame is not caused by an open neutral.

What I was taught as an apprentice 38 years ago and still holds true today, if your missing your ground connection, and somehow the hot wire gets loose and touches the metal frame normally it would cause a short and trip the circuit breaker. Without a ground the frame becomes energized, a tragedy waiting to happen. That's why toasters don't have a ground wire, for the morons that dig in them with a metal utensil with one hand and hold the toaster with the other. In the case of the OP sounds like a DIYer mis-wired a house outlet.
The Hot frame (fuselage of the aircraft) was caused by the ground and neutral in the extension cord's female end being reversed. The male end was molded so it could not have been the issue.

When I took the replacement female end I found the ground (green wire) connected to the silver screw (which Im sure your apprenticeship taught you was the neutral terminal). The white wire was connected to the Black Screw (Ground terminal) The only one correct was the black wire connected to the brass colored terminal.

This condition caused the frame of the aircraft to become energized whenever current was flowing to any appliance in the aircraft running on that 120 Volt system.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
The Hot frame (fuselage of the aircraft) was caused by the ground and neutral in the extension cord's female end being reversed. The male end was molded so it could not have been the issue.

When I took the replacement female end I found the ground (green wire) connected to the silver screw (which Im sure your apprenticeship taught you was the neutral terminal). The white wire was connected to the Black Screw (Ground terminal) The only one correct was the black wire connected to the brass colored terminal.

This condition caused the frame of the aircraft to become energized whenever current was flowing to any appliance in the aircraft running on that 120 Volt system.

Something else was going on to energize the frame because both the green and white wires are electrically and mechanically connected together back at the service entrance. BTW the ground wire goes onto the green hex screw. It's hex shaped to ID it if the green paint wears off
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
Lifetime camper

I had a hoy skin condition caused by a damaged Electrial plug in my garage.
Big BillyB71 is offline   Reply With Quote