Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #1

Adding a window to the top bunk on a 208bhs

Has anyone ever tried this or thought about it? The top bunk gets quite warm and my daughter keeps telling me she wishes she had a window. You can order the same lci window as found on the bottom bunk. Im afraid of compromising the trailer structurally..it seems very doable though.
Gerogesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
GGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerogesin View Post
Has anyone ever tried this or thought about it? The top bunk gets quite warm and my daughter keeps telling me she wishes she had a window. You can order the same lci window as found on the bottom bunk. Im afraid of compromising the trailer structurally..it seems very doable though.
It is possible I know someone that has done this but it was on a metal siding trailer that has wood studs in the walls so easier to frame up window.

On yours you would need to find out is the bottom window between the studs or did they frame it in to provide that opening. If its between the studs then it shouldn't be too difficult to do it with enough patients and lots of double and triple measuring. Another option would be to put a skylight window / bubble on the roof above the bunk that should provide some light or one that opens to provide fresh air as well?
Old 08-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

I thought about the skylight/vent idea but I think my daughter wants to be able to look out. On apex trailers, I'm pretty sure coachmen frames the windows from what I can see when watching Haylett RV's youtube video at apex trailers. Is this done for strength? I'm tempted to just cut the window on the inside but only taking out 5mm just incase the project is not doable. I can just put it back and put wall paper over that side.
Gerogesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
GGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerogesin View Post
......... coachmen frames the windows from what I can see when watching Haylett RV's youtube video at apex trailers. Is this done for strength? .........
I do remember that video and you are correct they do frame the windows openings. Yes it is done for structural purposes to give strength to the wall and support the loads on the roof. It is the same idea in a home when installing a window or door in a wall.

If you cut out the vertical studs they would need to be braced somehow with framing. There may be a reason they haven't put a second window in that area other than a cost saving.

I find that forest river is pretty good about providing information on where the studs are located. When we had a Prime Time trailer I wanted to install a shelf in the bathroom and they told me exactly where the braces on the dividing wall were so that I could screw the shelf in. Coachmen did the same thing for our Freedom Express when I wanted to mount a few things on walls.

Tags
bunk, window