Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #1

Adding (more) solar to Apex Ultra Lite

I bought a 2022 Apex Ultra Lite and it comes with built in 200w solar panel. Is there a way to easily add panels to this system? Would be nice to have three panels and 600w.

Thanks
JBinFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:20 PM   #2

look for panels that have close to the same output in watts and amps
they don't have to be from same manufacturer as the single you already have.

make sure your charge controller can handle the wattage
if you have a small controller you can parallel the panels

further reading at https://energyconnections.net.au/pag...t-solar-panels
Old 02-03-2023, 09:05 AM   #3

Have you camped in this rig to see if you actually need more solar? Are boondocking allot or staying at campgrounds? I ask because a big mistake (in my opinion) is folks buy all all this stuff because they read the forum how great solar is from someone that boondocks all the time and think they should get that, without first actually defining their camping style. This is not limited to solar same happens with batteries ya this is a bur under my saddle.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #4

adding a couple of panels is a cost effective way to increase off grid camping ...

usually do not have to add other stuff unless your OLD system is completely under-powered.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Have you camped in this rig to see if you actually need more solar? Are boondocking allot or staying at campgrounds? I ask because a big mistake (in my opinion) is folks buy all all this stuff because they read the forum how great solar is from someone that boondocks all the time and think they should get that, without first actually defining their camping style. This is not limited to solar same happens with batteries ya this is a bur under my saddle.
Absolute correct. If you are going to do mostly shore power camping or boondock in treed areas of the country, you might want test out what you have stock before spending a lot of money.

Lithium batteries are made to be used whereas LA batteries are charge up to 100 percent and leave forever if necessary.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:58 PM   #6

I have not metered or seen if it will run what I need while camping. I've read some post where it was stated that the solar wasn't enough to keep the RV battery fully charged while in storage. I guess the fridge and other things take too much juice. Since there's no "cut-off" switch for a lot of this stuff I have to unplug the battery when I store it. Was hoping to add enough that I could just leave it on. As for boondocking, I haven't yet but am looking forward to it. I do have a Powerboost F150 so I do have my own power source for boondocking Looking forward to using it at some point
JBinFla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, solar