Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
I tut I taw a puddi tat

Talking Apex

I just purchased a 2011 Apex 189 lightweight trailer by Coachmen a division of Forest River Inc and it would be nice to see a forum subgroup open up on the Apex.

Forest River Inc evidently acquired several other manufacturers including Coachmen.
scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #2

To the forums!!!
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
brentnrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
I tut I taw a puddi tat

Apex pix

Click image for larger version

Name:	apexpix.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	5075

Thank you for the welcome.

Here (hopefully) is what my APEX looks like...this is a scan from the manufacturer's brochure...sure looks good although I am currently struggling with testing all the systems...at the moment LP is acting up. But I did wait until I retired before buying this thing as I anticipated it would become a time-consuming hobby just upkeeping it.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #4

Hi Scribe,

We just bought the same model, is it an 18.9 fbs?

Thank goodness we are testing it before we take it out camping, our slide out ended up being stuck out and would not come back in.

This is frustrating, and thank goodness it happened at home and not when we are out camping.
Tankgurl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
I tut I taw a puddi tat

To Tankgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankgurl38 View Post
Hi Scribe,

We just bought the same model, is it an 18.9 fbs?

Thank goodness we are testing it before we take it out camping, our slide out ended up being stuck out and would not come back in.

This is frustrating, and thank goodness it happened at home and not when we are out camping.
Oh! Oh! That was the first thing I found wrong when I first looked at my 189FBS before I bought it. The slider jammed first thing. Salesman showed me how it was because they had left the unit out in the snow all winter and ice had formed at the top which blocked the slide from coming back in. There is a safety fuse of some kind on the motor so that if the slider hits an obstruction and jams, the motor cuts out instead of burning up.

I bought the unit anyway and they fixed the slide and the wishy washy awning which was also supposedly broken by the weather. But just the other day I put the slide out (really increases walking space inside) and when I went to pull it back in it seemed to be sluggish although it made it all the way back. Looked at the wall monitor and found my batteries were down to 1/3...and instruction book on slideout says it needs a lot of 12v power and best to have fully charged batteries before pushing that slideout switch.

It is apparently possible to crank the slideout back in "manually" by attaching a crankhandle (not provided) or a power drill with the right size socket onto a nut or bolt on the motor housing; but I have not yet tried that.

I was reluctant to buy a TT with a slideout because I've read of so many stressful occurrences in these forums and elsewhere about slideouts sticking but I bought my Apex anyway because I think I got a good price buying it in March before the season. It also gave me the opportunity to park it at a secure outside storage place nearby where I have been testing and learning everything before going camping (the salesman's turnover routine on purchase day is just too quick for me).

The LP gas regulator broke down first time that I ran the furnace more than 5 minutes; it whistled like a siren and showed red on one side. I hauled the TT back down to the dealer and he replaced it with what he says is a better brand of regulator.

I'm still looking forward to going camping with the Apex; I will be alone so using the slideout is not all that important to me as long as I can always crank it back in manually (yet to be tested) and it is true that I can always go to any Forest River dealership nationwide for warranty repairs.

I truly understand how frustrating and disappointing it is when something brand new does not work, but I reconciled myself to that before purchasing my unit and deliberately waited until I was fully retired before buying it because I know I'll probably be constantly tinkering with it...I dont blame the TT manufacturer for that, I know its all those small parts manufacturers who just dont seem to make quality parts any more (like the cheap LP regulator).

Good luck
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentnrobin View Post
To the forums!!!
X2!! Enjoy!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #7

Also just bought 189fbs. We decided our 97 Astro van was not a safe tow vehicle, so now we have a new Tacoma pick up. We have to break in the engine before we can tow, so I guess our first camp out will be in the back yard to test things out. This trailer is our first regular trailer after having popups for many years with the kids. Now it is just us. It feels like pure luxery! Let's keep the forum members informed about how these Apexes are working out.
Vhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #8

We just bought a 2013Apex 22qbs, love it, tested everything, only problem we found was the water heater bypass valve open!
Boscowtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

I purchased a 258RKS last weekend, maybe we need to request our own sub-forum again. I've got a question.....Do any of you have a faint fan sound when connected to 110? Mine does, and it's coming from near the furnace, with the thermostat off. I'm in the process of turning different systems on and off, trying to figure out what it is.
PJRNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRNM View Post
I purchased a 258RKS last weekend, maybe we need to request our own sub-forum again. I've got a question.....Do any of you have a faint fan sound when connected to 110? Mine does, and it's coming from near the furnace, with the thermostat off. I'm in the process of turning different systems on and off, trying to figure out what it is.
It is the battery charger and converter. When you plug into 110 the charger kicks on to charge your house batteries. Throw the main 30 amp power switch and it will stop but you the will run down your batteries

The breaker panel is down close to floor close to the furnace.

The fan is normal...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #11

Thanks for the reply! That's what I thought, but I have since removed the wood covering the area and the furnace is the only piece of equipment I see, in addition to the fuse box. How big is the converter? Could it be small enough that I'm missing it?

Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

Did you find the breaker panel? I think it is actually part of that. The breaker panel is accessed by just pushing on the top of the panel and it will open

As a good practice you should turn off the house main 30 amp breaker before plugging or unplugging shore power.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #13

Yes, been turning off different breakers, etc. trying to figure out the sound. Unfortunately, the 'skilled craftsman' who wrote down what breaker was connected to what circuit had a seizure while he was doing so....or so it appears! I can't read it. Looks like your spot on, though. The fan is built into the bottom of the breaker box. It's too cold here now for the darn fan to kick on. I'll try again this afternoon.
Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #14

PJ.. I think The fan only runs when charging the batteries. Once the batteries are charged then the converter/charger turns off. That may be why the fan is not operating. Turn on some lights (12v) and it should turn on once the battery draws down a bit.

If your panel is like mine, the main 30 amp house breaker is very top, left. I also could not read the marking. Luckily if a fuse blows they have it wired so a LED comes on next to the blown fuse.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
PJ.. I think The fan only runs when charging the batteries. Once the batteries are charged then the converter/charger turns off. That may be why the fan is not operating. Turn on some lights (12v) and it should turn on once the battery draws down a bit.

If your panel is like mine, the main 30 amp house breaker is very top, left. I also could not read the marking. Luckily if a fuse blows they have it wired so a LED comes on next to the blown fuse.
Fan runs when a certain load is placed on the 12v electrical system.
If you have a wfco converter the fans are known to go out then your converter overheats and fails.
Converter is ALWAYS charging system.

Turn on all your lights in camper and fan should run.
If it doesn't it is bad!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #16

Yes, it is WFCO, but it is working properly. Once a 12 volt load is applied, the fan goes on. Thanks everyone for your assistance. And by the way Apex folks, the forum directory will be modified in the future and will list Coachman brands.....including Apex. (Thanks Triguy)
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRNM View Post
Yes, it is WFCO, but it is working properly. Once a 12 volt load is applied, the fan goes on. Thanks everyone for your assistance. And by the way Apex folks, the forum directory will be modified in the future and will list Coachman brands.....including Apex. (Thanks Triguy)
What to watch for if fan ever quits.

Lights will go bright then dim and on and on.
When the fan quits the converter will overheat then she off "lights dim" then when it cools it will turn back on "lights bright" eventually the converter will overheat and never come back on.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #18

We enjoyed a couple trips last summer. One was a pretty good haul up to Glacier in Montana from Oregon. Our only problem with the Apex has been the water heater not working. It was due to spider webs clogging a vent in the combustion chamber where it vents outside the trailer. There was a big whoosh of flame in the compartment. It was easily cleared at the dealer. No damage. We sealed up the area this winter to keep the bugs out.
Vhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
I just purchased a 2011 Apex 189 lightweight trailer by Coachmen a division of Forest River Inc and it would be nice to see a forum subgroup open up on the Apex.

Forest River Inc evidently acquired several other manufacturers including Coachmen.
Scribe, I used to own a 189. I had an issue with the refrigerator working off gas while towing. I don't know if you have thermometer in the fridge but you might want to get one and make sure you don't have the same issue.

My refrigerator would not maintain temp when towing on gas. It was fine on gas when stopped. I called Dometic and they sent me a kit to block the wind that was blowing out the gas flame. I think the arm for the awning was causing turbulence and it kept blowing out flame. After installing the baffles, no problem. No charge for the kit. Check it out

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #20

We also just purchased a 2013 Apex 22qbs.Still being built at Factory, expected date is late march.Did you get the Elite package, and the frameless windows?
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, coachmen