Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #241

[QUOTE=SSN706;2479719]added:
1. added Electric Jack
2. added Vent covers (spray painted inside black to reduce light)
3. added Curtain and curtain rod to section off the bed from the dining room. It is straight across the room which leaves a space above the rod for cool air from the A/C unit to reach the bed. Allows for me to watch TV while the wife sleeps
4. removed dinette and put in electric RV recliners
5. added Stove cover
6. added articulated shower rod to expand shower space
7. added vent rim chandelier lights
8. added New overhead bed light for reading
9. added new overhead light over recliners
10. added vinyl back splash behind sink and stove
11. replaced screen door with a plexi-glass door to keep cool air in during the summer, but be able to see out.
12. added foil bubble inserts for the window above bed.
13. extra foam on the bed.
14. add on screen room/sun shade that goes in auxiliary track of the awning
15. Added TV with firestick!! Also a articulated arm
16. Wheel X clamps are definitely needed to stop this very light camper from moving front to back when parked camping
SSN706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:07 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksworthy View Post
Any other owners of this awesome unit? I don’t see a lot of chatter about this one yet, but I guess it’s pretty new to the market.

The 208BHS fills a niche that hits so many sweet spots for mid-duty TV owners (e.g. Durango), who want to sleep as many as possible while keeping a comfortable tow safety margin. The brilliance of the 208BHS is that it’s just large enough and packs in enough of the important structural features to accommodate a family of 4-7, while omitting enough bells and whistles that you can add yourself later, to keep it under 4000 lbs. Any smaller and you’re skimping on features (dual axle, slideout, bathroom vanity, lengthwise queen bed!), and any larger would limit towabity. I recently pulled the trigger on one. After literally years of research, I’ve yet to see another bunk-house with such a high pros:cons ratio, price notwithstanding.

It’s in storage now, but I plan to use the time to brighten up the interior and add a few small features like USB/12v outlets. Already added a Fan-tastic fan. It will be pulled by our 2018 Durango R/T, with a Reese Strait-Line WDH. The 515lb tongue weight makes me a bit nervous, given the Durango’s strangely limited yellow-sticker payload of 1200lbs (which doesn’t really make mathematical sense, but we’ll take Dodge’s word on it). We’ll have to keep an eye on it.

Anyway, please discuss! I’m excited to hear about other people’s experiences with this (or any Apex Nano) unit!
Oh man! We love ours. We are empty nesters! It is great for the wife and I and enough room to take grandkids too!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexNanoPredator View Post
Hi all, I just purchased a 208BHS. I'm excited about all of the adventures my family will have in it.

Question: I'm storing the trailer outdoors, but it won't be under a carport cover. I was thinking of getting a cover for it. I'm in the south and the heat and humidity get pretty bad during the summer.

What are your favorite covers?
If you are far enough south not to see freezing temperatures regularly I probably wouldn't cover it unless it was constantly stored under tree's. I cover mine here in NJ for the winter month's but I constantly have thaw and refreeze conditions. I use the ADCO Tyvex cover and like them. From what I hear life expectancy of a cover is 5 to 7 years.
Boborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksworthy View Post
Yeah I know what you mean, but there’s always a weight trade off, and it’s a slippery slope even for something seemingly insignificant like the shower surround. Besides, isn’t that almost what the 245BHS is? Slightly longer version of the same floor plan with bells and whistles, for people who are willing to pay more and have a hefty enough vehicle to tow it.

The 208BHS’ value is in its lightness & price, while being one of the few models in that segment to use its weight allowance on structural features that can’t be added later, instead of squandering it on superficial features. I like that everything that isn’t included can be modded, and that I can prioritize what additional features to use my remaining weight allowance on.

Have to agree with you though, all of the features you mentioned would really be nice to have, especially the shower surround and upper bunk window — either of which could be my next project.
Wow! you read my mind, I want o install an upper bunk window too. I bet it is a do it yourself job. Since I store mine at my house, It seems to be that it is a weekend job
Old 01-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSN706 View Post
We took out our dinette and put in two recliners. Works great. Only an hour to do it. Spare plug under the TV near the floor make it great for the recliners electronics. We couldn't stand the bench seat dinette. Hurt our butts too bad.
See attached pictures below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562[1].jpg
Views:	114
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	246383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561[1].jpg
Views:	101
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	246384  
Old 01-22-2021, 11:25 PM   #246

Very cool. Two questions:

How did you get those things in the door?

Did you serve on submarine 706?
fshrlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:32 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshrlou View Post
Very cool. Two questions:

How did you get those things in the door?

Did you serve on submarine 706?
Yes,
I served on the SSN 706 USS Albuquerque. Also served on the USS Minneapolis St. Paul SSN 708. I was in during the end of the cold war and the start of the first Gulf war.

The chairs were ordered through AMAZON. It comes in 5 different pieces and it was easily fit through the standard door of the BHS 208.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #248

Quote:
Yes,
I served on the SSN 706 USS Albuquerque. Also served on the USS Minneapolis St. Paul SSN 708. I was in during the end of the cold war and the start of the first Gulf war.

The chairs were ordered through AMAZON. It comes in 5 different pieces and it was easily fit through the standard door of the BHS 208.
Also left some room on the far right side big enough for a narrow tall side table or for us, storage for our electric pedestal heater.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #249

We just ordered a 2021 Apex Nano 208bhs with an off grid package! The work everyone has done to theirs is amazing. Does anyone have any favourite solar/battery resources they are willing to share (websites, forums)?
KB 208bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB 208bhs View Post
We just ordered a 2021 Apex Nano 208bhs with an off grid package! The work everyone has done to theirs is amazing. Does anyone have any favourite solar/battery resources they are willing to share (websites, forums)?
We looked long and hard at getting a solar panel to charge our battery. We decided that since we do not do much off the grid camping it was not necessary. We camp at RV resorts and state parks with full hook ups. Wife will have it no other way. So, even though our 2019 208 BHS is solar ready, we will not use it.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #251

Quote:
We looked long and hard at getting a solar panel to charge our battery. We decided that since we do not do much off the grid camping it was not necessary. We camp at RV resorts and state parks with full hook ups. Wife will have it no other way. So, even though our 2019 208 BHS is solar ready, we will not use it.

You could get a portable suitcase solar panel and plug it into the plug on the side of the camper.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #252

Tires

SSN706 and Boborc,
Thanks for the advice on the cover. I'm going to give my trailer a good wax and see how that protects it from the sun/weather!

I had another question—and forgive me if I sound like a newbie ...

I'm looking to replace the tires on my Nano. My tires are new, but they are the cheap ones that came with the trailer upon purchase. I'm thinking of just replacing 2 of the 4 tires initially.

What are y'all's favorite tires?

How should I go about buying those? Should I get new rims, too? I guess I should probably keep one of the tires so I have two spares...
ApexNanoPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #253

Quote:
SSN706 and Boborc,
Thanks for the advice on the cover. I'm going to give my trailer a good wax and see how that protects it from the sun/weather!

I had another question—and forgive me if I sound like a newbie ...

I'm looking to replace the tires on my Nano. My tires are new, but they are the cheap ones that came with the trailer upon purchase. I'm thinking of just replacing 2 of the 4 tires initially.

What are y'all's favorite tires?

How should I go about buying those? Should I get new rims, too? I guess I should probably keep one of the tires so I have two spares...
I am running on my original 4 tires purchased with my RV. I keep them at 51 PSI which is what my RV dealership had them at when I bought it. I tended to replace them this year. My tires are 4 years old. AS long as you cover them when in storage, which I do, they do pretty well. being parked for along period of time is bad for tires. The UV light breaks down the rubber and hardens it. They need to be moving so that rubber remains supple. That's why car tires last so long. provide there are no catastrophic issues like punctures or steel belt issues.

Still running my original rims too.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #254

Quote:
I am running on my original 4 tires purchased with my RV. I keep them at 51 PSI which is what my RV dealership had them at when I bought it. I tended to replace them this year. My tires are 4 years old. AS long as you cover them when in storage, which I do, they do pretty well. being parked for along period of time is bad for tires. The UV light breaks down the rubber and hardens it. They need to be moving so that rubber remains supple. That's why car tires last so long. provide there are no catastrophic issues like punctures or steel belt issues.

Still running my original rims too.
Thanks, this is very helpful. I'll probably drive on them once a month—outside of our yearly 2-week trip. Think I can get four years out of them on this type of use?
Old 02-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #255

Quote:
Thanks, this is very helpful. I'll probably drive on them once a month—outside of our yearly 2-week trip. Think I can get four years out of them on this type of use?
I think so. Just monitor the tire pressure regularly. In fact, I looked into getting a wireless tire monitor. May be blue tooth to send updates to my cell phone..

Im in South Carolina and we camp both in North Carolina, South Carolina, GA and Florida. So extreme heat is always an issue with tire pressure.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #256

I've heard many bad things and horror stories about factory RV tires ("China bombs"). Not just going bad, but even total catastrophic failures. That being said, so far I've gotten 2 years out of mine, though of course last year we barely got out and used them. The advantage we have with the 208BHS is that, with the tandem axles, if ones fails you can at least limp to the next exit or whatnot to get off the road and safely change it.

I do feel like I'm running on borrowed time though and am planning on upgrading mine this year. The tire I've seen praised pretty universally for camper trailers is the Goodyear Endurance ST. The highest weight rating we can get on the tire size used by the 208BHS, I believe, is D rated, and I think that would be recommended to get. A stiffer tire will ride better and pull straighter/easier and with less sway. I'm also planning on replacing my spare as well with a Goodyear, just don't feel I can trust those original tires enough.

As to your other question - no reason to replace the wheels/rims.
deusxanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #257

Nobody likes the CastleRocks that come from the Factory. I just bought my Apex last year and did notice that they have upped the speed rating on the tires to 75mph (on mine at least). On my 2013 GreyWolf they were rated at 65mph. I bought that trailer used and immediately put the Goodyear Endurance on and what a difference. Stiffer sidewall helped with sway also. You can literally feel the difference when side by side. Wet noodle to a rigid rubber. It was huge. I used the castlerocks last year cause I knew that all my trips wouldn't be more that 1000 to 1200 miles. This year new Timken Bearings and Endurance tires cause I will be putting some miles on. But like I said they looked improved but I still don't trust them.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #258

The rims you have are fine. I forgot to mention the weight class went up also on my Castlerocks 205/75-14 were D rated when my older one's that size were C weight class. Lighter trailer's tend to be a little easier on tires if that's any constellation to you.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #259

Thanks! This is great advice. I'm happy I should be able to get a couple of years out of them. I really didn't want to shell out the expense this year unless I had to.

I'll slowly put some money aside for the future and upgrade to the Goodyears after a bit. Right now, I'm concentrating on some smaller upgrades. We took a short trip this past weekend (first time out with the Apex), and will take a few in March. I'm planning to see Utah's Mighty Five in October!
Old 02-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #260

I am awaiting the arrival of my new ‘21 208bhs. In preparation, I have decided on the R3 weight distribution hitch. I would like to know the leveled hitch height of the unit if anyone happens to know. I will be installing the system myself, since the dealer wants to cut no deals on the purchase or installation price, and want to be in somewhat of the ballpark of height when I pick my unit up. This is NOT the off-road package.
wband82 is offline   Reply With Quote