Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 04:44 PM   #261

If you are close to the dealer any Apex Nano on the lot will have just about the same ball height. Just make sure it is sitting level.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #262

That’s the problem. There are none on the lot to measure. Mine is not due to be off the coachmen line for another couple weeks.
wband82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #263

Found this with a quick google. Go to the top of the page
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...oned%20earlier.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
Found this with a quick google. Go to the top of the page
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...oned%20earlier.
Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. Just trying to get as much done in advance as possible. I think I might like it here in this forum.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #265

Anytime, A lot of helpful people here
Old 02-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #266

Very helpful forum indeed.
Can some do me a huge favor and take some measurements please as my trailer is in storage at the moment.

Could someone measure the shower surround size of all 3 walls. Id like the surround walls to atleast be flushed with the tub. Thanks.
Gerogesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #267

Seeing if these for sale lately? Been watching on the east coast for a year and haven't. Any similar models I can search for?
captaingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #268

We contacted Coachmen who directed us to a local dealer. The dealer had one due to be delivered sometime in February. The dealer had a customer unit in for winterizing and asked the customer, who was a friend of his, if we could view the unit. We then drive an hour one way to look and ended up securing a deposit on the unit and it will be here in a few weeks. They are definitely scarce right now and I think we just got lucky.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #269

New Owner Questions

Hi everyone,

I have been watching this thread over the past 6mo, and have finally decided to move forward with a 2021 208BHS OFF-GRID (a new factory order through my local dealer, with delivery estimated for June). I plan on placing the order later this week, but have a couple of questions:

- I am considering adding the factory option of 15" wheels, but was told by the dealer that it may be cheaper (and possible to get a higher quality tire/wheel) if I added the 15" wheels after market (and sold-off the factory wheels). I just want to know for sure that I can add the larger wheel/tire after-market (i.e. if the wheel wells / frame are compatible with adding this post-factory). Any thoughts or recommendations for wheels/tires (we will be taking this off-road often, but nothing crazy)?

- I am also considering the addition of the 12v tank heater pads. However, I can't seem to get a straight answer from the dealer regarding what this option will actually accomplish... I understand that the underbelly is now sealed/insulated, so adding the heater pads after-market would be impossible... But, because we intend on doing some winter camping (it gets cold up here), I think it may be a good idea. Does anyone with winter camping experience feel it is worthwhile or necessary to get the heater pad upgrade? If the belly is insulated, are they even necessary?

- Can someone clarify what are the benefits of getting two 6V batteries, versus the typical, single 12V battery? We will be off-grid often (more often than in a campsite).

- We will be towing with a 2021 F150 Lariat, and the APEX dealer is recommending a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH. It's pretty pricey, but I like the fact that the dealer would then provide the setup / training / support... That being said, I have read good things about other WDH solutions. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding WDH that would work well on an F150? Our second vehicle is a 2016 Honda Pilot with towing package.

- Should we purchase an extended warranty? The dealer has quoted about $2500CAD ($2k USD) for a seven year limited/extended warranty... I am waiting for the paperwork, so I can review what is covered/omitted.

Thanks everyone - this is a great thread... I have learned more reading the thread than I ever could at a dealer/show!
StilesYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #270

Hello, StilesYYZ. I'm a fellow Canadian Ab. I'll try and answer your questions as best I can having gone through a custom order process. We also do a lot of off grid camping as well. Adding options at the build is the cheapest way. For example, we opted out the AC unit which was a credit of $750 to get it installed at the dealer after the fact would have been around $1200. Ours is an early 2021 model so it dose have the heated and enclosed underbelly which has been nice as we camped into mid Oct. this year.

Having camped well into November and Dec. in another trailer if you are planning to do some serious winter camping I suggest making insulated panels and sealing off the gap between the the ground and frame then running a buddy heater underneath to keep you tanks form freezing. But if you are gonna just weekend it then those pads might be just the ticket.

I did install two 6 volt batteries on my unit. The big advantage is the amp hrs. available
The typical batterie supplied buy the dealers is about 100 amp hrs. One 6 volt supplies 220. As you are only supposed to drain flooded batteries down to 50%, two six volt batteries will give you more than double the amount of amps/time to stay off grid. We did 5 days straight this summer with out draining our batteries and we don't have any solar to top up with.

I as for towing and WDH hitches. It's all about preference. I have a buddy who uses the blue OX and has no problem with it. We went with the Anderson, mostly because it's light and wife can handle it. Plus the sway control of it is excellent. I've seen evidence that the Anderson hitch dose not transfer as much weight off the hitch as the solid bar hitch designs. 9% vs 12 to 15% just some food for thought.

Happy camping.
B.Boudens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexNanoPredator View Post
Think I can get four years out of them on this type of use?
The CastleRocks on my 2021 Apex 288 started to dry rot at only 7 months old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E88E81C-25E3-4AE5-AFE4-3F03A1CF03F2.jpeg
Views:	2632
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	247534  
Old 02-17-2021, 02:29 AM   #272

New owner with a few questions

Hi All!

We just brought home our new 2021 208BHS and can’t wait to use it. As newbies we have a couple of questions that I’m hoping you experienced Apex owners can help with.

Has anyone installed a battery disconnect switch? Is it easy? Any advice?

Did your wardrobe closets come with rods? Ours didn’t. I thought it was odd since it’s supposed to be a wardrobe. I wanted to hang closet shelves in them until I realized there is no rod. Has anyone installed a rod? Or another type of storage solution for those cabinets?

We already ordered a power tongue Jack to add to the trailer. Any other must have’s?

Would also love any other storage or modifications that have helped you out.

Thanks!
lisaluker53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaluker53 View Post
Hi All!

We just brought home our new 2021 208BHS and can’t wait to use it. As newbies we have a couple of questions that I’m hoping you experienced Apex owners can help with.

Did your wardrobe closets come with rods? Ours didn’t. I thought it was odd since it’s supposed to be a wardrobe. I wanted to hang closet shelves in them until I realized there is no rod. Has anyone installed a rod? Or another type of storage solution for those cabinets?

We already ordered a power tongue Jack to add to the trailer. Any other must have’s?

Thanks!
I put a battery disconnect switch on our Apex 249rbs. I put it on the ground side. Not a bad job at all.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk341 View Post
I put a battery disconnect switch on our Apex 249rbs. I put it on the ground side. Not a bad job at all.
We installed one at the dealership when we picked it up. I has worked great.
SSN706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #275

Quote:
Hi All!

Thanks!
WE have a 2019 one. Our wardrobe does have a rod in each one. Makes no sense why they would not install one.....We also installed a curtain rod with curtains to create a bedroom space. I am curious to know if the curtain they installed on yours has a mesh top. Since ours is level wall to wall we have a gap at the top. This gap is critical in the summer to allow cool air into the bedroom area.

We also installed battery disconnect switch. it works well.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
Nobody likes the CastleRocks that come from the Factory. I just bought my Apex last year and did notice that they have upped the speed rating on the tires to 75mph (on mine at least). On my 2013 GreyWolf they were rated at 65mph. I bought that trailer used and immediately put the Goodyear Endurance on and what a difference. Stiffer sidewall helped with sway also. You can literally feel the difference when side by side. Wet noodle to a rigid rubber. It was huge. I used the castlerocks last year cause I knew that all my trips wouldn't be more that 1000 to 1200 miles. This year new Timken Bearings and Endurance tires cause I will be putting some miles on. But like I said they looked improved but I still don't trust them.
I never run my RV above 60 MPH on the highway. My tires are rated higher, I just don't see the need to take the risk. You are rolling the dice at the higher speeds.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #277

Quote:
Hi All!

Thanks!
1. added Electric Jack
2. added Vent covers (spray painted inside black to reduce light)
3. added Curtain and curtain rod to section off the bed from the dining room. It is straight across the room which leaves a space above the rod for cool air from the A/C unit to reach the bed. Allows for me to watch TV while the wife sleeps
4. removed dinette and put in electric RV recliners. Bench hurts your butt after a while...
5. added Stove cover - more counter space
6. added articulated shower rod to expand shower space
7. added vent rim chandelier lights - mood lighting
8. added New overhead bed light for reading
9. added new overhead light over recliners
10. added vinyl back splash behind sink and stove to protect the wall
11. replaced screen door with a plexi-glass door to keep cool air in during the summer, but be able to see out.
12. added foil bubble inserts for the window above bed.
13. extra foam on the bed.
14. add on screen room/sun shade that goes in auxiliary track of the awning
15. Added TV with firestick!! Also a articulated arm
16. Wheel X clamps are definitely needed to stop this very light camper from moving front to back when parked camping
17. Added battery disconnect, installed by dealer when purchased.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #278

Removing top Bunk/ Adding an upper bunk window

Anyone remove the top bunk? I have seen some posts of people doing that. What was the reasoning behind that?

Also,

what is the cost of the DIY job of adding an upper bunk window in an APEX 208?
Old 02-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #279

We bought a Rockwood Mini lite 2306 two years ago. It has been a great trailer for us (me, wife, two kids), and I've found the quality to be pretty decent. We got it because it had two bunk beds and a nice queen bed, and a decently sized table for rainy night card games with the family. We actually bought it after trying for a third child for 2 years without luck. Well, as things go, we welcomed our third baby this year in January, and now we are thinking we should be getting a different trailer, one that will accommodate all 5 of us.

We checked out the 208 last weekend, and have a deposit on one coming in April.

Does anyone have any experience with both Apex's and Rockwood Mini lite? from what we can tell the quality is probably a little nicer with the rockwood, but not by much. (things like the overhead fans looks pretty anemic on the Apex, no vent covers).. The overall build quality seemed good though.

We have a month-ish to try and sell our trailer to see how much "Extra" trading across will cost.

Has anyone with a 208 tried to replace the outdoor grill with someone different? I was surprised that it was not plumbed into the LP propane system.
dbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #280

Hi dbender - we haven’t used our 208 yet. Took delivery in December. But I will add the off grid package we added was pretty affordable (less than $500) and upgraded the main overhead fan to a 3-speed 12 volt dc fan. Plus of course a 100w roof solar panel and charger controller, dual propane tanks and some water saver features. The off grid package also adds a bunch of 5 volt USB ports around the unit, and a dc plug in the pass through etc. Worth considering if you have the option still.

Agree on the outdoor grill feature. It is really just extra storage space. There is gas hook ups though so you could run a line off those to the portable. I think. Haven’t tried of course. ��
maxds is offline   Reply With Quote

« TV Backer 20se | - »