Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 07:12 AM   #421

First dry camping trip

Only our 2nd trip in the new rig and we tried our luck dry camping. Everything was booked up for the holiday weekend except a few rustic spots.

A few learnings I thought I’d share:

1. We have a 50 gallon fresh water tank. When I was filling it at the campground I had my wife watch the sensor in the trailer to let me know when it was full. There is a warning about not overfilling the fresh water tank - so not really knowing what would happen I wanted to play it safe and stop filling when it showed full on the monitor. Come to find out we probably could have put a lot more in as the sensor dropped from full to 2/3 really fast that first night.

On the flip side. We left the weekend with the fresh water sensor showing empty. Thinking we were on water fumes we conserved that last day more than usual as the day winded down. When I got home I wanted to see what “empty” meant to the sensor. So I drained the remaining water from the fresh tank. If I were to make a guess I would say we have about 10-15 gallons left! Maybe more. So my learning here was when the sensor shows empty it really has a ways to go. A long ways.

2. Since we were off the grid as well I tried to conserve battery usage. Only turn the water pump on when we are in the unit. Fridge stayed on of course (propane mode). Ran our fan intermittently. The first night dropped to 36 degrees so the furnace was running most the night. By morning the battery was already down to 1/3 on the sensor. I was speculating the sensor levels take into account voltage and not actual battery level. Since it isn’t a good idea to run a battery below 50% I’ve read. So I was making some assumptions. I need to learn for sure what those levels mean.

Regardless I was not happy with the battery draining so fast on the first night. But to my surprise the single solar panel on the roof had the battery full again by 11am. Then I found out my wife had turned on the mini fridge in the outdoor kitchen before we left. That had been drawing power the whole time as well contributing to the fast battery drain. I turned that off. =)

It was nice to know we could run the big fridge all day, with the water pump and propane water heater (when needed)... and the fan on and off without any notable power loss on the battery during the day. That little 120 watt panel was a champ and the propane really helps carry the load. Worth noting we were pretty much in a full sun spot. So the panel was getting some good sun.

3. On the topic of propane. We have a dual tank setup. I had been using the one tank since I got it for heating the trailer up during the off season while I worked on things. Then we used the trailer a few weeks ago for a weekend. Then this past weekend another trip off the grid so we really leaned on propane. Through all that I’ve yet to run out of propane in the first tank. I had such low expectations for how long a tank would last. It was a pleasant surprise to see how far a single tank will take you. I’m still not sure the gauge on the tanks works properly. It still shows green on the first tank. Who knows what is going on there. I need to verify that tank meter is working as well.

4. We have one of those shower miser setups to conserve water while you warm the shower up. We didn’t even need it the propane water heater worked so well the hot water needed barely any time to make it to the shower. We were only doing super quick showers but that water heater worked amazing.

5. The 12 foot low pressure propane hose I bought worked ok for the grill that comes with the trailer. I did add a shutoff valve at the grill side of the hose. It was a few inches short of fitting comfortably from the low pressure spicket under the trailer so I had to stretch it. I just ordered an elbow adapter to put on the grill that will make it fit perfect since the hose won’t have to make the last curve/bend to attach to the grill. The elbow adapter will allow the hose to go straight into the grill saving a few precious inches and making the 12 foot hose work perfectly. This length is also nice for keeping the hose off the ground. You can run it over the tires and right to the grill. The line never had to sit on the ground and stays clean. I did like having the direct hookup vs using the portable propane adapter. I couldn’t get the portable tank to fit nicely on the grill slide out - so this hose hookup to the trailer makes that easier and I don’t have to carry along extra portable propane tanks. Not a big deal either way - but I like the ease of the low pressure hose setup.

6. Last thing I wanted to mention which most of you likely already know - but I realized I could power the trailer off my truck’s 7-pin connector if needed (Jeep Gladiator). I had at one point turned my battery off (I have a switch I installed on the battery box). Everything on the trailer continued to work fine as if it was connected to the trailer battery. That was good to know in case we needed it. My friend told me the 7-pin will also charge the trailer battery if you left your truck running for an hour or so. Not sure about that but I did appreciate the backup power source for the trailer regardless.

In summary the trailer held up great! Everything worked off the battery and propane (except the microwave and AC of course). Already looking forward to the next trip. :-)
maxds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #422

Ugh ignore my comment on the mini fridge. I thought it was DC but it is not.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #423

Thanks for sharing this info... I apologize if I missed it but could you share a link or the information for the quick connect hose that you purchased or the elbow if you already found for the grill?
artcele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #424

Great write up Max. We just had our second trip. We had shore power but no water hookup. We fill our tank until we see water coming out the port. We left the site with 2/3 left on the gauge. Finally used the camp stove and the 1lb tank works well but is a pain in the butt and no really good way to set it. Horrible design if you ask me.

Please repost the links for the hose and adapter for the grill. I may go that route as well.

4 days on Lake Gogebic in the U.P. alittle chilly at night but camper was amazing. Turned the storage area into a triple bunk for the 2 year old with a little mat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952021052895202327.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	255875   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210528_181456.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	255876  
Arcteryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxds View Post
Hindsight I would have gotten this one... it comes with the elbow adapter... I ended up buying these parts separately.

https://www.amazon.com/MENSI-Quick-C...dp/B081VYGNDQ/
So I have the Blackstone 22 inch and I bring it with us when we go camping. For that I purchased this which seems to be similar with what you posted
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will check again next time that we are camping but if I remember the elbow that came with mine didn't fit with Coleman grill... hence I was interested to see the connector that came with your and see if I can order that separate since I already have the hose with quick connect... But maybe I was mistaken and might be all set already... Thanks again
artcele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcele View Post
Thanks for sharing this info... I apologize if I missed it but could you share a link or the information for the quick connect hose that you purchased or the elbow if you already found for the grill?
This is the hose I bought (without the elbow). I have not gotten the elbow in the mail yet - so let me make sure it works before I post that link. =)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SDBZR47/

If the elbow works as I expect - there is actually is a combo hose you can buy with the elbow already. But even without the elbow this hose above worked fine... it was just a little tight of a stretch reaching the grill on the slideout.

Long story short - give me a few days and I'll confirm the elbow... and then I'd recommend getting the combo hose/elbow... it will save you money.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryx View Post
Great write up Max. We just had our second trip. We had shore power but no water hookup. We fill our tank until we see water coming out the port. We left the site with 2/3 left on the gauge. Finally used the camp stove and the 1lb tank works well but is a pain in the butt and no really good way to set it. Horrible design if you ask me.

Please repost the links for the hose and adapter for the grill. I may go that route as well.

4 days on Lake Gogebic in the U.P. alittle chilly at night but camper was amazing. Turned the storage area into a triple bunk for the 2 year old with a little mat.
Awesome camp site! We may have to make our way over there. We have one trip planned this summer in the UP over by Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore... that will be offgrid as well.

I posted the hose link (previous post above). But still waiting to confirm if the elbow I ordered fits properly. Will follow up later this week.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcele View Post
So I have the Blackstone 22 inch and I bring it with us when we go camping. For that I purchased this which seems to be similar with what you posted
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will check again next time that we are camping but if I remember the elbow that came with mine didn't fit with Coleman grill... hence I was interested to see the connector that came with your and see if I can order that separate since I already have the hose with quick connect... But maybe I was mistaken and might be all set already... Thanks again
Ah sorry. Yeah I circled back and removed my post above since I haven’t tested the elbow. You might be right. I’ll let you once I get it.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #429

Are you guys trying to add a low pressure propane port for portable grills? I tapped into my manifold by the right passenger tire with a quickconnect adapter.
Gerogesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #430

Hello, I’m have been doing tons of research and found that a 208bhs is probably our best bet for a Camper. Towing with a 2016 f150 and wanted something in the 5000 lb weight with dual axles, bunks, and a full size queen.

Anybody have suggestions on where to buy? I am in the northeast buffalo NY. I found one sold for 20k even, best price I have seen advertised.
Spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:10 AM   #431

Hey Spencerb best bet is to start calling dealers and let them know your interested. I got lucky and one called me back when an unknown unit showed up from an order earlier this year. I pick up next week.

I had a line on another one from General RV in Michigan and one at a dealer in North Carolina. Good luck!
BallisticApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #432

@Spencerb Good luck, hope you find one. Your best bet is to call around and ask as the previous post said. Given its size and weight with the amenities these campers are usually sold before they hit the lot. If you find one on a lot, place a small deposit to lock it down. You can always get your deposit back.

I bought mine in February and it was the only one on a lot within 500 miles. Luckily it was 30 minutes from my house. It wasn't even on their site yet. Put my deposit of $500 and then started negotiating after I looked at it. I paid $21k for the off grid version I feel was a good price.

Quick search found one in MI on a lot about 290 miles from Buffalo.

https://www.generalrv.com/product/ne...w-website-link
Old 06-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #433

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did contact a bunch of coachmen/Apex dealers within approximately 300 miles. Wilkins RV is the closest, they just sold one and said they could work on a number to order one. RV value mart had a 2021 advertised for 20k even, it was sold and the salesmen said it was a used unit and to order a new one it would be 25k. Also contacted General RV & Campers inn, not sure if they have any in stock. The one general rv has in stock has the Murphy bed and that’s a no go for me.

Then I found a unit in stock at Alpin Haus in Saratoga NY. I called and asked about the price, they said it was 30k or the msrp but they would put me in contact with a salesperson. It has the off grid package, but most importantly for me no Murphy bed. I would pick it up this week if they agreed to 30% off msrp.

How do you get your price down to 21k? What dealer did you use? Would love something where I could point to to say match this deal.
Spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:03 PM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerb View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did contact a bunch of coachmen/Apex dealers within approximately 300 miles. Wilkins RV is the closest, they just sold one and said they could work on a number to order one. RV value mart had a 2021 advertised for 20k even, it was sold and the salesmen said it was a used unit and to order a new one it would be 25k. Also contacted General RV & Campers inn, not sure if they have any in stock. The one general rv has in stock has the Murphy bed and that’s a no go for me.

Then I found a unit in stock at Alpin Haus in Saratoga NY. I called and asked about the price, they said it was 30k or the msrp but they would put me in contact with a salesperson. It has the off grid package, but most importantly for me no Murphy bed. I would pick it up this week if they agreed to 30% off msrp.

How do you get your price down to 21k? What dealer did you use? Would love something where I could point to to say match this deal.
IMO you are not going to see 21 we were a few k more without the offgrid or other options. Everything I found was Murphy. Seems like that was the preference so most are coming in as such. I spent 5 solid days looking and calling and had 3 of them lined up at one point, no one would budge on price other than removing some fees. It is a dealer market right now. Just keep trying you will find one but expect 23-27 depending when they ordered it from forest river.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:18 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerogesin View Post
Are you guys trying to add a low pressure propane port for portable grills? I tapped into my manifold by the right passenger tire with a quickconnect adapter.
Gerogesin - do you know what gas line you need to do that? I have a 2021 and have a quick connect but I am not sure what I need to hook up to the Coleman.

Does anyone have a link or a length and connector name to do the LP quick connect to the Coleman?
Old 06-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #436

Murphy Bed Toppers

Hey guys I have seen a couple posts about folded comforters and bed toppers to solve Murphy bed woes. I am trying to get ahead of the game for the best sleep possible.

Are there any replacement matrices that are foldable and compatible with this Murphy setup?

If not, are there additional toppers or modifications that do not affect storage and operation but can be made to maximize level and comfort?

Thank you!
Old 06-07-2021, 05:34 AM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticApex View Post
Hey guys I have seen a couple posts about folded comforters and bed toppers to solve Murphy bed woes. I am trying to get ahead of the game for the best sleep possible.

Are there any replacement matrices that are foldable and compatible with this Murphy setup?

If not, are there additional toppers or modifications that do not affect storage and operation but can be made to maximize level and comfort?

Thank you!
We love the convenience of the Murphy bed. Totally opens up the space. But so far we have not loved the mattress.

Been looking at ordering one blind from mattressinsider.com. They will make you a custom bi-fold of your firmness choice. Not cheap though. They quoted me around $700 for one and delivery was end of summer due to some shortages.

We are exploring a topper from IKEA as well.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:18 AM   #438

Quote:
IMO you are not going to see 21 we were a few k more without the offgrid or other options. Everything I found was Murphy. Seems like that was the preference so most are coming in as such. I spent 5 solid days looking and calling and had 3 of them lined up at one point, no one would budge on price other than removing some fees. It is a dealer market right now. Just keep trying you will find one but expect 23-27 depending when they ordered it from forest river.
I have to agree. Timing is not on your side right now. Expect to pay almost full MSRP right now. You may be able to talk them into free add ons and upgraded tires. The biggest trick is finding one that is on a lot and not sold.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:31 AM   #439

Quote:
Gerogesin - do you know what gas line you need to do that? I have a 2021 and have a quick connect but I am not sure what I need to hook up to the Coleman.

Does anyone have a link or a length and connector name to do the LP quick connect to the Coleman?
This one works for me. It is just reaches the grill if you leave it in the slideout... so you have to run it straight from the quickconnect over the tires to the grill. And it comes with the Coleman adapter and the hose has a shutoff valve which is convenient since the grill does not have one built-in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SDBZR47/

However, I'm experimenting with some elbow adapters to give my gas line a few more inches of breathing room. As mentioned by others, the Blackstone elbow adapters will NOT fit the Coleman grills. I'm piecing together my own version - I'll post again if it works out.

But if you are in a time crunch - this above gas line works perfectly fine with the Coleman grill and the quickconnect low pressure valve under your trailer.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:38 AM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryx View Post
I have to agree. Timing is not on your side right now. Expect to pay almost full MSRP right now. You may be able to talk them into free add ons and upgraded tires. The biggest trick is finding one that is on a lot and not sold.
I honestly think you may get a better deal ordering a new one. There is no multiple buyer situations that way - you just have to wait it out to get your trailer which could be end of summer unfortunately. But you get exactly what you want.

We tried your route last summer and never caught up with one. Finally ordered a new one direct (via the Internet sales folks at General RV)... that was August... got our trailer end of November... but we were able get the price down to $21,900 with the off-grid package, the tank heaters, and they threw in a hitch/sway bar package.

You would think ordering new was a disadvantage, but the competition is less and you can get more wiggle room on the price. We just had to put down like $2k I think.