Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

Apex Nano 208BHS Owners

Any other owners of this awesome unit? I don’t see a lot of chatter about this one yet, but I guess it’s pretty new to the market.

The 208BHS fills a niche that hits so many sweet spots for mid-duty TV owners (e.g. Durango), who want to sleep as many as possible while keeping a comfortable tow safety margin. The brilliance of the 208BHS is that it’s just large enough and packs in enough of the important structural features to accommodate a family of 4-7, while omitting enough bells and whistles that you can add yourself later, to keep it under 4000 lbs. Any smaller and you’re skimping on features (dual axle, slideout, bathroom vanity, lengthwise queen bed!), and any larger would limit towabity. I recently pulled the trigger on one. After literally years of research, I’ve yet to see another bunk-house with such a high pros:cons ratio, price notwithstanding.

It’s in storage now, but I plan to use the time to brighten up the interior and add a few small features like USB/12v outlets. Already added a Fan-tastic fan. It will be pulled by our 2018 Durango R/T, with a Reese Strait-Line WDH. The 515lb tongue weight makes me a bit nervous, given the Durango’s strangely limited yellow-sticker payload of 1200lbs (which doesn’t really make mathematical sense, but we’ll take Dodge’s word on it). We’ll have to keep an eye on it.

Anyway, please discuss! I’m excited to hear about other people’s experiences with this (or any Apex Nano) unit!
Shanksworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:09 PM   #2

BTW we’d also have been happy to go with the smaller Apex Nano bunk house model (193BHS). It’s perfect for a lighter duty towing vehicle, and I love the shorter form factor. Looks like it would be a breeze to tow. The Winnebago Micro Minnie BH models also fit the segment, albeit at a steeper price point.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #3

208bhs

Agree. There is a lot to like about the 208. However I can’t get over how much is lacking. To me, it should be moved out of the Nano series and into the ultra lite. Then it would have basic things (or options) for shower walls, bunk windows, slide-out side windows, frameless windows, slam latches, nice wheels, recessed sink and stovetop, window trims, roof ladder, etc. there is just so much I think it’s lacking. Make it an Ultra Lite and I’m interested.
onVacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onVacation View Post
Agree. There is a lot to like about the 208. However I can’t get over how much is lacking. To me, it should be moved out of the Nano series and into the ultra lite. Then it would have basic things (or options) for shower walls, bunk windows, slide-out side windows, frameless windows, slam latches, nice wheels, recessed sink and stovetop, window trims, roof ladder, etc. there is just so much I think it’s lacking. Make it an Ultra Lite and I’m interested.
Yeah I know what you mean, but there’s always a weight trade off, and it’s a slippery slope even for something seemingly insignificant like the shower surround. Besides, isn’t that almost what the 245BHS is? Slightly longer version of the same floor plan with bells and whistles, for people who are willing to pay more and have a hefty enough vehicle to tow it.

The 208BHS’ value is in its lightness & price, while being one of the few models in that segment to use its weight allowance on structural features that can’t be added later, instead of squandering it on superficial features. I like that everything that isn’t included can be modded, and that I can prioritize what additional features to use my remaining weight allowance on.

Have to agree with you though, all of the features you mentioned would really be nice to have, especially the shower surround and upper bunk window — either of which could be my next project.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #5

Its a wonderful layout and unlike the 193 which is great it will grow with your kids. Realistically you won't havw to move up. It also allows you to stay with in that 5000lbs towing Suv segment should you wish or small trucks versus full size.
Nice new features this year versus last are the pull out bbq drawer and a tuffer roof membrane that is extremely puncture resistant https://seamancorp.wistia.com/medias/x78bo8g24f

The fully featured unit was there 245 but many found it too heavy for the vehicle they wanted to use...thus the 208 Nano. Plus who uses and oven!
Primorver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primorver View Post
Its a wonderful layout and unlike the 193 which is great it will grow with your kids. Realistically you won't havw to move up. It also allows you to stay with in that 5000lbs towing Suv segment should you wish or small trucks versus full size.
Nice new features this year versus last are the pull out bbq drawer and a tuffer roof membrane that is extremely puncture resistant https://seamancorp.wistia.com/medias/x78bo8g24f

The fully featured unit was there 245 but many found it too heavy for the vehicle they wanted to use...thus the 208 Nano. Plus who uses and oven!
Hehe, I’m going to try to avoid using the oven as well.

Interesting about the new features — mine’s a 2019 and it has an outdoor kitchen drawer, and a separate BBQ, but it doesn’t look like the pull-out BBQ configuration I’ve seen in a few YouTube videos. Is that a 2nd quarter 2019 refresh feature that I missed out on? Or maybe mine has the feature but they just never told me it can be set up that way? Also that’s interesting about the new roof membrane, but it’s news to me. The only update on mine AFAIK was a slight graphics refresh, improved window shades, and the blue awning LED’s have been thankfully replaced with white ones.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #7

I just purchased and received my Apex Nano 203rbk and love it. I am pulling it with 2017 Durango GT and barely feel it behind me. At 3800 lbs empty it's made for a SUV.
I traded in my Bullet Colt 171 rkct. I needed something just a little bigger in the bathroom area as well I really like the queen walk around bed. The neo angle shower stall is great and we had 3 big people in the bathroom when viewing. There is so much room in the bathroom. Tons of storage throughout. Another feature I really like is that with the slide in you can still get at everything. All cupboards and the bathroom, fridge and bed, so you can use everything when only doing a quick night at a rest stop.
The big bonus , which you can't find on many small trailers , is the outdoor kitchen with the Coleman slideout stove, fridge, sink with hot/cold water , 110v elec outlet.

I searched long and hard and for the room, features, towability and the construction of the unit I don't think there is anything better.
JGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGriff View Post
I just purchased and received my Apex Nano 203rbk and love it. I am pulling it with 2017 Durango GT and barely feel it behind me. At 3800 lbs empty it's made for a SUV.
I traded in my Bullet Colt 171 rkct. I needed something just a little bigger in the bathroom area as well I really like the queen walk around bed. The neo angle shower stall is great and we had 3 big people in the bathroom when viewing. There is so much room in the bathroom. Tons of storage throughout. Another feature I really like is that with the slide in you can still get at everything. All cupboards and the bathroom, fridge and bed, so you can use everything when only doing a quick night at a rest stop.
The big bonus , which you can't find on many small trailers , is the outdoor kitchen with the Coleman slideout stove, fridge, sink with hot/cold water , 110v elec outlet.

I searched long and hard and for the room, features, towability and the construction of the unit I don't think there is anything better.
Congratulations! That’s a perfect sized/weighted couples camper. It has similar features to my bunkhouse model, with a few extras like shower surround and outdoor sink! They definitely made some smart weight vs features decisions on these.

Glad to hear your D pulls it without problems. I’m assuming your Durango has the same confusing payload limitation as mine — the “do not exceed 1200 lbs...” yellow sticker that all Durangos have regardless of model/trim. It’s the only thing that worries me a bit — with a dry tongue weight of 512lbs and 2 adults and 2 kids, it’ll definitely bring us close to that limit.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksworthy View Post
Congratulations! That’s a perfect sized/weighted couples camper. It has similar features to my bunkhouse model, with a few extras like shower surround and outdoor sink! They definitely made some smart weight vs features decisions on these.

Glad to hear your D pulls it without problems. I’m assuming your Durango has the same confusing payload limitation as mine — the “do not exceed 1200 lbs...” yellow sticker that all Durangos have regardless of model/trim. It’s the only thing that worries me a bit — with a dry tongue weight of 512lbs and 2 adults and 2 kids, it’ll definitely bring us close to that limit.
I will never reach my payload but my specs in my manual are

PERFORMANCE
Base engine size 3.6 Liters
Base engine type V-6
Horsepower 295 Hp
Horsepower rpm 6,400
Torque 260 Lb-Ft.
Torque rpm 4,000
Payload 1,420 Lbs.
Maximum towing capacity 6,200 Lbs.
Drive type All-Wheel Drive
Turning radius 18.5 ''

They are telling me 1420 lbs. payload

I also have a Curt hitch with WDH with these specs with and without WDH.

Rated to 6,000 lbs. gross trailer weight and 600 lbs. tongue weight
Compatible with weight distribution hitch (7,500 lbs. WD / 750 lbs. WDTW)
JGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGriff View Post
I will never reach my payload but my specs in my manual are

PERFORMANCE
Base engine size 3.6 Liters
Base engine type V-6
Horsepower 295 Hp
Horsepower rpm 6,400
Torque 260 Lb-Ft.
Torque rpm 4,000
Payload 1,420 Lbs.
Maximum towing capacity 6,200 Lbs.
Drive type All-Wheel Drive
Turning radius 18.5 ''

They are telling me 1420 lbs. payload

I also have a Curt hitch with WDH with these specs with and without WDH.

Rated to 6,000 lbs. gross trailer weight and 600 lbs. tongue weight
Compatible with weight distribution hitch (7,500 lbs. WD / 750 lbs. WDTW)
Yeah but regardless of what the manual says, the yellow “do not exceed...” sticker in the door always has a different number, and it supposedly overrides all others. But if you google it, not a single person can say why that number is always so low. The numbers don’t add up — they’re not even in the ballpark. Mine should be closer to 1700 with curb weight and GVWR, my manual says 1300 lbs (doesn’t make sense) and my yellow door jamb sticker says 1200 lbs (makes even less sense). So most people just ignore it. I don’t want to be one of those people, but I guess that’s what’s causing the anxiety.

Anyway, I digress.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #11

We looked at a 2015 Durango. I really liked the styling but that 1200lb sticker caused me to shy away. We wound up with a 2013 Acadia SLT2 with AWD and tow package with 1400lbs on the sticker. I switched out the stock receiver for a draw-tite rated for 750/7500WD. I have a GeoPro 16BH. It’s really nice and has lots of extras, I just wish it was a little bigger. My other wish would be for a Lance 2185 if they upgraded the bunks to doubles, or a Minnie Winnie 2306bhs. Neither of those has an outside kitchen, which the apex 208bhs has. I also like that the Nano trailers are not as tall and more narrow, which should help out towing with a V6 SUV. Plusses and minuses for each one...
onVacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onVacation View Post
We looked at a 2015 Durango. I really liked the styling but that 1200lb sticker caused me to shy away. We wound up with a 2013 Acadia SLT2 with AWD and tow package with 1400lbs on the sticker. I switched out the stock receiver for a draw-tite rated for 750/7500WD. I have a GeoPro 16BH. It’s really nice and has lots of extras, I just wish it was a little bigger. My other wish would be for a Lance 2185 if they upgraded the bunks to doubles, or a Minnie Winnie 2306bhs. Neither of those has an outside kitchen, which the apex 208bhs has. I also like that the Nano trailers are not as tall and more narrow, which should help out towing with a V6 SUV. Plusses and minuses for each one...
The Durango’s 1200lb payload will work for us for a few years while my son is still small. We just have to make sure all cargo goes in the RV instead of the car, and we get the balance right. And arguably, the yellow sticker assumes all hitch weight will be over the TV’s rear axles, and doesn’t take the WDH into account. So we’re probably more than fine if we’re within the max axle weight ratings, I just don’t like how it looks on paper.

The Acadia looks like it would be a great match for the Geo Pro. I really liked the Geo Pro 16BH - it did so many things right and has such a cool look, and is a such a neat little package. I looked at that one for a long time and tried to justify it, but in the end it just didn’t work out for our needs.

It’s too bad they don’t reach just a little higher with their floor plans. With a dual-axle/slideout/queen bed bunkhouse floor plan they could own the market, so they’re missing out on an opportunity. But they’re going for the r-pod segment I guess, and doing an admirable job. I know a lot of people with Geo Pros and they’re very happy. Winnebago was another option but that one came down to price, and a few feature-related trade offs as well. Just couldn’t justify it, and TBH I couldn’t get excited about it, whereas the Geo Pro and Apex Nano “moved” me. LOL
Old 04-07-2019, 12:22 AM   #13

Got mine!

Just came home with a 2019 a few weeks ago. It will be a big change as we are going from Keystone Hideout 30BHDS and F250 combo to a GMC Canyon and 208BHS.

I am very excited to see how the downsizing goes, especially with two kids (7 and 4).
badercubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by badercubed View Post
Just came home with a 2019 a few weeks ago. It will be a big change as we are going from Keystone Hideout 30BHDS and F250 combo to a GMC Canyon and 208BHS.

I am very excited to see how the downsizing goes, especially with two kids (7 and 4).
Congrats! I hear that a lot of people are downsizing these days. What was your reason for downsizing?

I initially really just wanted a small teardrop for minimalist purposes, but after the agonizing and fruitless effort of trying to find one that suited all of our needs, we finally realized that there’s no breaking the laws of spatial economics. So we reluctantly started looking at the 192BH, and then upsized just a bit to the 208BHS. It’s our first RV, so we’re really excited to take delivery in May.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksworthy View Post
Congrats! I hear that a lot of people are downsizing these days. What was your reason for downsizing?

I initially really just wanted a small teardrop for minimalist purposes, but after the agonizing and fruitless effort of trying to find one that suited all of our needs, we finally realized that there’s no breaking the laws of spatial economics. So we reluctantly started looking at the 192BH, and then upsized just a bit to the 208BHS. It’s our first RV, so we’re really excited to take delivery in May.
I spent 2005 thru spring of 2018 being a construction manager/superintendent on-site and drove a company truck that doubled as my personal truck. Switched companies and jobs into a more executive position and decided I didn't want to drive a HD truck just to haul a camper around. Settled on a Canyon and couldn't be happier. The only thing I haven't been able to do with the baby truck that I did with the other truck was tow the Hideout. This while I am building a garage myself and constantly taking trips to the lumber/hardware store.

We put the Hideout on a permanent site last year but didn't want to do that again. Toyed around with the idea of purchasing a used trucked just for towing or having my wife (1 mile commute) drive the bigger truck, but ultimately decided to downsize. I grew up in the Adirondacks and I'd like to camp there more as I live in Western NY, and the larger camper also wasn't conducive to "real" forest camping.

I am 36 and this is my fourth camper. An '88 Coleman pop-up and' 92 Jayco 265FS were the other two. After looking around, the 208BHS was the perfect combo of options (double bunks to grow into, baby outside kitchen, 80" queen, interior storage) and length/weight for the Canyon. I don't think there really is a comparable on the market right now, as you either give up items to get the weight down or you go heavier and longer. Heavier and longer might be within the Canyon specs (7000K towing) but I'm not into maxing stuff out, and I've over loaded and towed a lot being in construction.

If you've got any general camping questions, I've probably seen it all for a 36 year old and I'm always happy to help.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by badercubed View Post
I spent 2005 thru spring of 2018 being a construction manager/superintendent on-site and drove a company truck that doubled as my personal truck. Switched companies and jobs into a more executive position and decided I didn't want to drive a HD truck just to haul a camper around. Settled on a Canyon and couldn't be happier. The only thing I haven't been able to do with the baby truck that I did with the other truck was tow the Hideout. This while I am building a garage myself and constantly taking trips to the lumber/hardware store.

We put the Hideout on a permanent site last year but didn't want to do that again. Toyed around with the idea of purchasing a used trucked just for towing or having my wife (1 mile commute) drive the bigger truck, but ultimately decided to downsize. I grew up in the Adirondacks and I'd like to camp there more as I live in Western NY, and the larger camper also wasn't conducive to "real" forest camping.

I am 36 and this is my fourth camper. An '88 Coleman pop-up and' 92 Jayco 265FS were the other two. After looking around, the 208BHS was the perfect combo of options (double bunks to grow into, baby outside kitchen, 80" queen, interior storage) and length/weight for the Canyon. I don't think there really is a comparable on the market right now, as you either give up items to get the weight down or you go heavier and longer. Heavier and longer might be within the Canyon specs (7000K towing) but I'm not into maxing stuff out, and I've over loaded and towed a lot being in construction.

If you've got any general camping questions, I've probably seen it all for a 36 year old and I'm always happy to help.
You touched on an important point for me — it’s still camping after all, so I feel like some conveniences should be sacrificed. Otherwise the only difference between RV “camping” and just renting a cabin in the woods, is a set of wheels. Well and also, the fact that renting a cabin will still be more convenient and less expensive over several years. Haha - and if I keep typing, I’m eventually going to convince myself to sell my new RV and buy a time share cabin!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #17

After months of research, we bought our first Trailer: 2019 Apex Nano 208BHS. I have gone through the "finishing" I found on this forum. I upgrade the tires to Goodyear Endurance. I want to upgrade the propane to a dual system. Has anyone done this upgrade? Also, want to upgrade the EZ suspension. Thanks
bjzman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjzman100 View Post
After months of research, we bought our first Trailer: 2019 Apex Nano 208BHS. I have gone through the "finishing" I found on this forum. I upgrade the tires to Goodyear Endurance. I want to upgrade the propane to a dual system. Has anyone done this upgrade? Also, want to upgrade the EZ suspension. Thanks
Upgrading to dual propane isn't difficult. I believe Amazon has kits for it. Depending on your tow vehicle, adding propane and batteries up front can really increase your tongue weight.

Is there a reason you want to rush into a suspension upgrade? It's such a light trailer sitting on dual axles.

Changing tires is a good idea for sure. Especially if you are doing a lot of highway driving.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #19

The suspension upgrade was a suggestion from a friend. I figured I would post about it before I jumped in. I wanted to go to dual 30 tanks, but like you said; I do not want to add too much weight tongue. So I will stick to dual 20s. Do you have specific brand for the dual systems?
bjzman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjzman100 View Post
The suspension upgrade was a suggestion from a friend. I figured I would post about it before I jumped in. I wanted to go to dual 30 tanks, but like you said; I do not want to add too much weight tongue. So I will stick to dual 20s. Do you have specific brand for the dual systems?
Yeah unfortunately a lot of the most upgradeable things happen to go right on the tongue, which is already on the heavy side. For that reason I’ve decided to forego multi-battery and dual tank setups, as well as the bike rack. At most, maybe I’ll upgrade to a 30 gal tank.