Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #1

Apex Nano Fresh Water Tank Mod

I thought others may benefit from a mod I did to the water tank on my Apex Nano 193BHS, which had a badly bowing/bulging fresh water tank.

This is what it originally looked like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200525_133725.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	232709

I'm honestly not sure if this was due to the poor support, or from when I forgot I was filling it and it was likely under a bit of pressure. I imagine a little of both.

I had read about folks welding some additional supports to the underside, but I do not weld, nor did I want to deal with taking the trailer somewhere.

Since I had a sheet of plywood around I decided I would make some slide-in supports instead. First I had to jack up the tank so I could raise it enough where there was room below the tank and the existing support that runs the length of each side of the tank:

Name:	IMG_20200622_192723.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	232710

Then I used a pair of pliers to back out the screws that hold the existing cross supports. Once they were raised a bit I had enough room to fit in my angle grinder:

Name:	IMG_20200622_192748.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	232711

Supports could then be removed:

Name:	IMG_20200622_194819.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	232712

Once this was done I constructed three supports to slide in underneath the tank. Why 3? Because I was lazy and did not want to hook up the utility trailer to retrieve a full sheet of plywood from the store. So I was limited to 2x4 sheets I had on hand that I then cut down to fit. I thought about just sliding in the 1/2 plywood and calling it a day, but figured that I should beef them up a bit to minimize the sag. I had some cedar 2x4s lying around and figured it would significantly strengthen the panels without adding much weight:

Name:	IMG_20200622_170244.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	232713

Once these were built I primed and painted them black to protect the wood. I would have not taken this step had I found treated plywood, but they were completely out at the store. Once this was complete I removed the steps on the trailer and slid them in. They went in with a little coaxing from a mallet.

Name:	IMG_20200629_134353.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	232714

I then added the straps back on and secured them with some 1/2 self tapping screws. It was important to use this length to ensure I could not accidentally puncture the tank.

My tank went from reading empty to 1/3 full, so I am guessing I reclaimed at least 6-10 gallons of usable water with this mod.
ctrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #2

Son and I welded in several supports using angle iron. We did it the second day we owned it. Did not trust those straps. 2018 Cherokee. now sold.

BTW: Nice Mod.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Son and I welded in several supports using angle iron. We did it the second day we owned it. Did not trust those straps. 2018 Cherokee. now sold.

BTW: Nice Mod.
That is definitely what I would have done if I had the means. I added the straps back out of an abundance of caution. The wooden panels are fastened to the vertical supports of the tank.
ctrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank