Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2022, 03:49 PM   #1

Apex Nano Murphy bed issues

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2022 Apex Nano 186BH travel trailer. A little small, but perfect for our family and just the right weight for our towing abilities.

We just got back from our 2nd trip out, and I'm curious to know if I'm just an idiot with the murphy bed in the camper. When we set up the murphy bed, all we're doing is opening/flattening the couch, and unfolding the mattress which has a pillow topper, so that it's half on the hard bed support surface, and half on the folded out couch (the sleeping configuration in the trailer is East to West as opposed to North to South).

The issue is half of the mattress is about 2 inches higher than the other when its like this. If I'm closer to the front window, there's a good chance I roll down the mattress onto my wife all night towards the folded out couch portion...

Am I just an idiot, and I'm not setting it up correctly? Is there some sort of support for the lower section of the mattress that I just haven't found that's stowed somewhere in the trailer?!

If the bed just sucks, does anyone have any easy and good mods to make the bed level?
Benzdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the Coachmen Motorhomes sub-forum to the TT/5th Wheel section's Coachmen sub-forum since the OP has a TT, not a motorhome.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:28 PM   #3

I’m curious. Looking at videos it looks like a poor execution of a Murphy bed. I actually tested mine in Murphy bed mode to make sure it worked well and would accept an 8 inch mattress. Hopefully others have made a modification to level things out better.
Ourvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #4

After searching the trailer to make sure there wasn’t a platform hidden somewhere, I’m basically just going to cut a piece of 1/2” plywood to fit the space. I should be able to store it directly under the mattress when in ‘couch’ mode.

When the couch is flat, it looks pretty level with the hard surface. So our issue might just be that our weight pushes through the mattress as well as the couch cushions.

I’ll update with the results.
Benzdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:49 PM   #5

I had the same issue

I modified my 187RB. I took out the flat bed and installed the Murphy bed.The OEM hinged bed in my Coachmen 187rb is a barely used one season maybe 85 nights give or take, yet it's a worn out chunk a foam. Can't put a topper when foundation is nothing more than a piece of plywood, the 4 inch foam won't keep my butt off of the plywood base supporting the foam . I tip the scale @ 193lbs. stretched out to 6"3". Thus the need to do it right this time.

Before it became a worthless piece of foam I had the same height differential issue. I took thick cardboard and sandwiched it between the mattress and the sofa and did the same thing you're going to do To stow it away when bed Is folder.

When I replaced the OEM I went with Tochta. I requested a size of 44" × 36" x 8". The 44 inch oreintation is to the head. The exhisting plywood platform in mine is 44". This custom sized helps tremendously.

Richard in Milwaukee
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #6

Apex Murphy Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzdrum View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2022 Apex Nano 186BH travel trailer. A little small, but perfect for our family and just the right weight for our towing abilities.

We just got back from our 2nd trip out, and I'm curious to know if I'm just an idiot with the murphy bed in the camper. When we set up the murphy bed, all we're doing is opening/flattening the couch, and unfolding the mattress which has a pillow topper, so that it's half on the hard bed support surface, and half on the folded out couch (the sleeping configuration in the trailer is East to West as opposed to North to South).

The issue is half of the mattress is about 2 inches higher than the other when its like this. If I'm closer to the front window, there's a good chance I roll down the mattress onto my wife all night towards the folded out couch portion...

Am I just an idiot, and I'm not setting it up correctly? Is there some sort of support for the lower section of the mattress that I just haven't found that's stowed somewhere in the trailer?!

If the bed just sucks, does anyone have any easy and good mods to make the bed level?
Hello and G'day. I own a Apex Nano 208 with the same basic folding couch and bendy mattress set up, only it faces north/south instead of east/west. We have the same transition problem tho. Our solution has been to use a 1.5 memory foam topper under the mattress so it still folds flat. It works ok for us but only our hips are not on the transition. I like your idea of the plywood but would suggest adding a some thin foam (like those old blue camping matts everyone had as kids) to either side of the board to protect both mattress and couch from splinters and chaffing. Please follow up with your results as I'm considering doing the same.
B.Boudens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed