Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujosp View Post
Repeat after me, before this gets out of control like the thousand other posts: It does not matter if it is the positive or negative side. That is the only answer.

+4.

I put mine on the Negative following the logic that normally when you disconnect a battery, you disconnect the Negative first to prevent shorting your wrench to ground as would be possible if you disconnected the Positive first.

Remember that the electrons flow from - to + also... so if you look at it that way, the Negative side is the HOT side.

But, as was stated earlier, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Champion 3500
Weber Q2000, Blackstone 22", and a whole herd of flamingoes
Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #22

I wonder if the same people who put disconnect switches on the negative side of the battery also put fuses and circuit breakers on the negative side of the load. Again, it doesn't matter except for the poor slob that buys the RV wired that way and tries to figure it out.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDAWG View Post
I don't want to re-open this much discussed topic BUT

IMHO - If You disconnect the "+" cable, there is NO possible current flow in any of the wiring circuits.

However, If You disconnect the "-" cable, the "+" side wiring is and remains hot all the time and any wiring or anything that touches a "-" negative wire or any part of the chassis will cause a spark or cause an item to begin operating should the on/off switch is also set to "ON" and could actually cause a fire.

Again, IMHO, I choose disconnecting the "+" cable (at the battery) to prevent any possible electrical current drain.

NOW, it would be really nice if both the "+" and "-" were disconnected at the battery and I was asking if there is such a switch available? one throw and both cables are disconnected.

There is no way it could cause a spark if you disconnected the neg cable even if you ran a wire from a positive terminal to the frame as there is no way it could complete a circuit back to the battery.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 AM   #24
Just as confused as you

Some rv's have more than 1 wire connected to the positive post at the battery. The only time any of us have seen more than one wire connected to the negative post is when there has been a ground problem and to fix it another wire is installed. It doesn't matter if you install the battery cutoff switch on the positive or negative cable as long as all the wires going to that battery post is connected through the cutoff switch.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Everyone gets confused at some time, some are better at hiding it than others.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post
Harbor Freight - Battery Disconnect Switch - Item#97853, Cheap, simple and small enough to fit inside battery box.
But to disconnect, you need to open your battery box. I mounted this in the top of my battery box:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoostliss-Bat...s%2C189&sr=8-6
But you also need a short battery cable. I put it on the (+) side.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
Old 03-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Some rv's have more than 1 wire connected to the positive post at the battery. The only time any of us have seen more than one wire connected to the negative post is when there has been a ground problem and to fix it another wire is installed. It doesn't matter if you install the battery cutoff switch on the positive or negative cable as long as all the wires going to that battery post is connected through the cutoff switch.
That's why you move all the wires on the post to the switch! Not a big issue.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That's why you move all the wires on the post to the switch! Not a big issue.

Why would anyone do that? The simple solution was already given.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Why would anyone do that? The simple solution was already given.
LOL...there should be no more than 2 wires. There really should only be one. Unless some hack added more wires. SO...if it's simpler to put a circuit breaker in a negative lead, would you do that as well?

On my Coachmen Freedom Express, the way the power is distributed with those circuit breakers that the battery goes to is a mickey mouse way of doing things. On mine, one of the first thing I got rid of are those crappy breakers and put in a real circuit breaker inside the trailer right after the batteries and the disconnect switch. Won't even talk about how ridiculously small the cables are.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #29

You’re confusing DC with AC.... DC is simply closed or open. It doesn’t know where the break is located...
Old 03-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #30

How many more months till camping season !
Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #31
Site Team

It makes no difference which terminal is disconnected as disconnecting either one breaks the circuit. The concept of disconnecting the negative terminal is left over from auto maintenance. This is due to the fact if you are disconnecting the positive terminal and the wrench slips and hits the body/frame you will get a good arc and possibly a burn. If you disconnect the negative side and the wrench slips and hits the frame nothing happens. If switching the positive side, you have to make sure that you are switching all the wires. On some TT the tongue jack/light are directly wired to the battery and if not disconnected someone can hit the light switch and drain the battery. Also if the negative terminal is disconnected and you touch a hot wire to the frame nothing happens as the frame is now floating.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #32

Quote:
You’re confusing DC with AC.... DC is simply closed or open. It doesn’t know where the break is located...
As is AC and not sure why you even bring AC up.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
How many more months till camping season !
Camping season is year round!
Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #34

Thumbs up Great Discussion - Thank You All

Great Discussion - Thank You All

I have learned there is not, in our camping/boating industry, any form of a switch that will cut both sides of a battery at one time. I have also learned that it may not even be necessary to do so, which is why no one has create such a switch.

I am good with the information posted, Great Discussion - Thank You All
Old 03-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #35

Another reason to put the battery disconnect in the Negative cable is it will cut power to your power tongue jack when you turn the disconnect off. If you put the disconnect on the positive cable, your jack will be powered all the time.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Champion 3500
Weber Q2000, Blackstone 22", and a whole herd of flamingoes
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 PM   #36
Retired Old Fart

Yes, pulling the cable on the negative side of the battery is a good idea on any negative ground vehicle. Especially if you have a diamond plate aluminum lower cap like I do on mine. One turn of the wrench too far on the positive side and it is possible to arc it on the diamond plate, which is also screwed into the frame at the bottom. That's why I always disconnect negative side on mine. And do negative first if taking both battery leads off.

I learned that lesson about 50'ish years ago working on my first car, a 1966 Chevy Nova. Lots of pretty sparks.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Another reason to put the battery disconnect in the Negative cable is it will cut power to your power tongue jack when you turn the disconnect off. If you put the disconnect on the positive cable, your jack will be powered all the time.
I want EVERYTHING turned off with the disconnect switch. No need to have ANYTHING still powered. Putting on the positive side does that as well. If there is one lead on the positive battery post and that goes to your disconnect switch, how does the jack remain powered?

Not sure why people think it's necessary to have the jack, break away switch, radio or even the LP detector still powered. When you have a switch disconnecting everything, you are assured that you can work on anything and it isn't powered. You are also assured you have ZERO draw.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Yes, pulling the cable on the negative side of the battery is a good idea on any negative ground vehicle. Especially if you have a diamond plate aluminum lower cap like I do on mine. One turn of the wrench too far on the positive side and it is possible to arc it on the diamond plate, which is also screwed into the frame at the bottom. That's why I always disconnect negative side on mine. And do negative first if taking both battery leads off.

I learned that lesson about 50'ish years ago working on my first car, a 1966 Chevy Nova. Lots of pretty sparks.
We are talking disconnect switches, not pulling a lead off the battery.

Go to any RV dealer and look at every trailer and RV that comes from the factory with a disconnect switch and see if its on the positive or negative side of the battery. You will find 100% of them are on the positive side.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #39

If I bought a trailer with a negative disconnect switch, I would be wondering what other non standard "features" were added. DC circuit breakers in the negative paths of loads too? After all, it works electrically!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #40

Ditto Ditto

Closed Thread

Tags
battery, cat, location, switch