Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Brought our first RV home today!!

We brought our first RV home today and I couldnít be happier! Our dealer was awesome and did a very detailed walk through (literally almost 4 hours) looking at every square inch and creating a list of things to look at / fix. Our list was fortunately mostly minor things that can wait until the off season.

The drive home wasnít bad, but going 60 on the interstate got a little sketchy at times (Admittedly I forgot to air up my tires too). Iím going to take it to a large parking lot tomorrow and make sure the WDH is adjusted properly. Lack of towing experience and only being 33 doesnít help either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8ED98BFC-5693-465B-8601-0D45DB3193B2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	576.3 KB
ID:	183672  
magnetic157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
Carknocker Family
 
Ida Ratherbe Camping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 690
For sure get them rear tires aired up. If they are not LT's they maybe in your future.

Nice looking rig!
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
wowzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fremont,Ohio
Posts: 185
Welcome. Your going to be creating great memories. Going to an empty parking lot and checking things out is a great idea. Practice backing into a slot and you'll be fine.
__________________
Jim and Sherri Brown
2013 Silverado 2500 6.6 DuraMax
2012 Sabre 34REQS6
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,118
Nice setup! What model tt is that? I tow a 192rbs with a 2018 f150 screw 6.5 bed with zero issues. You should have a lot of good times.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,350
Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 1st camper. Wishing you many safe and memorable trips!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 4,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic157 View Post
The drive home wasnít bad, but going 60 on the interstate got a little sketchy at times (Admittedly I forgot to air up my tires too). Iím going to take it to a large parking lot tomorrow and make sure the WDH is adjusted properly. Lack of towing experience and only being 33 doesnít help either.
Being only 33 should be an asset... you've got faster reflexes.
You actually look pretty level on that hitch.
Tire inflation and torquing the wheels after the recommended mileage will prevent a lot of problems. Interstates are always a bit sketchy because you can't predict how your trailer will react when passed by a big truck.

Welcome from Texas!
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Nice setup! What model tt is that? I tow a 192rbs with a 2018 f150 screw 6.5 bed with zero issues. You should have a lot of good times.
Thanks!

287 BHDS
magnetic157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 26
Make a quick check list before you move. TV antenna, steps, awning, hoses, plugs, levelers all things we tend to forget. We both do the wall around. Oh have someone outside when putting out slides so to don't hit a pesky tree or water outlet. Have fun and learn to laugh at problems!!
snuelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
MCTroy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Troy.Ohio
Posts: 996
Congrats and welcome to the FROG family from Ohio.
While you are learning, and even later on, remember to learn from your mistakes and then laugh about them. Any good ones, share! We gave all done s few biggies...
__________________
2015 Windjammer 3029 Diamond Edition
2018 Ram 2500
Ohio River Rat
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 573
Congratulations on your new TT and all the adventures it holds. Another suggestion is to do a "test camp" someplace close (even your driveway if there is room) and camp at least overnight, maybe two. Keep a list of the things you wish you had remembered to put in the TT (or go back in the house and get them). You will always be adjusting the stuff you need and don't need, and that is part of the fun of camping. Until you get used to driving with a TT, take it easy and make small adjustments when backing up and allow plenty of room to stop when going down the road. Nice thing about being 33 is all the years you have left to camp! Enjoy!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,564
We actually find doing 60-62 on the interstates to be VERY relaxing. Everyone else is passing us and we simply do not care. No jockeying for position, etc. Just sit in the right lane and relax.

Before I forget (happens more and more frequently), Congratulations on your great looking rig!
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #12
Scoundrel
 
HangDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 2,049
Nice looking camper and tow vehicle! Congratulations.
__________________
2014 Micro Lite 19fd
2015 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT Crew Cab, 4x4, Tow Package, 36 gal tank, 3.55 locker, 1891 payload, Integrated Brake Controller, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 189
Your first time at a campground or RV park where you have to back in, get out and announce to anyone within earshot that this is your first time and to get out their chairs and popcorn because you know it's likely to be entertaining, then laugh along with them. It takes the sting out of them laughing AT you. Most likely someone with plenty of experience will offer to help, and you should let them.

Congrats on your first camper!
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #14
pburch
 
pburch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Melbourne Fl
Posts: 62
Brought our first RV home today!!

Congrats on your purchase, lot of fun in your future at your age!!! This is a great place to answer your future questions, and you may have many!! After getting fully loaded, making a trip to the Cat Scales would be in order to make sure if you need to make weight adjustments....
__________________
William Presley Burch Jr
Julie Ann Dyke Melbourne FL
2018 Forest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK
2021 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L 4 x 4 3.73 Gear 6' 4" Bed
Along with "Abby" and "Charlie" our Fur Babies
pburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #15
Misfit Adventures
 
Misfit011's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Sharbot Lake Ontario
Posts: 165
Welcome nice set up
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dunn, NC
Posts: 1,138
Backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
Your first time at a campground or RV park where you have to back in, get out and announce to anyone within earshot that this is your first time and to get out their chairs and popcorn because you know it's likely to be entertaining, then laugh along with them. It takes the sting out of them laughing AT you. Most likely someone with plenty of experience will offer to help, and you should let them.

Congrats on your first camper!
Look to spend at least a few houre with your backing buddy going over: where to stand, what hand signals to use and what they mean to each of you, what for the spotter to watch for. I know itís funny but rarely are two people on the same page backing for at least a while. Some of the most fun is hooking up the trailer if you didnít have Fords great back up camera. I canít seem to explain itís easier for me to use camera than to guess what hand signals may mean to helper that donít mean the same to me in the rear view mirror.

Geat rig, go forth and have fun making memories. 👏🏻👏🏻
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #17
2014 SunSeeker 2300
 
Awilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Southern Iowa
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
Congratulations on your new TT and all the adventures it holds. Another suggestion is to do a "test camp" someplace close (even your driveway if there is room) and camp at least overnight, maybe two. Keep a list of the things you wish you had remembered to put in the TT (or go back in the house and get them). You will always be adjusting the stuff you need and don't need, and that is part of the fun of camping. Until you get used to driving with a TT, take it easy and make small adjustments when backing up and allow plenty of room to stop when going down the road. Nice thing about being 33 is all the years you have left to camp! Enjoy!
Very good advice but before you camp in your driveway, worked best for us cause I got tired of playing 20 trips home or to the store, get your rig weighed when you are fully loaded. Practice backing into empty spots in a parking lot.

Congrats on your new rig! You have many years of memories ahead. Enjoy it!
__________________
. We are now retired and living the dream! 2014 2300 SunSeeker without slides that we remodeled inside for better living conditions for two people.
Awilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburch View Post
Congrats on your purchase, lot of fun in your future at your age!!! This is a great place to answer your future questions, and you may have many!! After getting fully loaded, making a trip to the Cat Scales would be in order to make sure if you need to make weight adjustments....
Yeah, I definitely plan to do this however being new in not sure what to do or expect there.

Can you help outline exactly what part of the truck / trailer should I weigh? How many passes will I have to make? Do you pay per measurement or do they let you take multiple? Etc.
magnetic157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 73
Congrats.... Welcome to the Coachmen family..... We have a 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS and love it. If you get the chance, take a trip to Goshen, IN and tour the Freedom Express factory. It is one of the newest factories for Coachmen and every time I go there I am impressed with the operation.
stevegotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
tonyz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 408
Welcome to the great adventure from West Virginia! Every trip you take for a while, there will be things that you find you need. So be ready to make a list! One thing it took me years to figure out is to just slow down and enjoy the ride there and have patience- there will be a learning curve.
Great looking rig and truck! Enjoy and happy camping.
__________________
Tony & Brenda
2017 Ford F-250SD 6.7 Power Stroke
2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.