Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Brought our first RV home today!!

We brought our first RV home today and I couldn’t be happier! Our dealer was awesome and did a very detailed walk through (literally almost 4 hours) looking at every square inch and creating a list of things to look at / fix. Our list was fortunately mostly minor things that can wait until the off season.

The drive home wasn’t bad, but going 60 on the interstate got a little sketchy at times (Admittedly I forgot to air up my tires too). I’m going to take it to a large parking lot tomorrow and make sure the WDH is adjusted properly. Lack of towing experience and only being 33 doesn’t help either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8ED98BFC-5693-465B-8601-0D45DB3193B2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	576.3 KB
ID:	183672  
magnetic157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

For sure get them rear tires aired up. If they are not LT's they maybe in your future.

Nice looking rig!
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Welcome. Your going to be creating great memories. Going to an empty parking lot and checking things out is a great idea. Practice backing into a slot and you'll be fine.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #4

Nice setup! What model tt is that? I tow a 192rbs with a 2018 f150 screw 6.5 bed with zero issues. You should have a lot of good times.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #5

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 1st camper. Wishing you many safe and memorable trips!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic157 View Post
The drive home wasn’t bad, but going 60 on the interstate got a little sketchy at times (Admittedly I forgot to air up my tires too). I’m going to take it to a large parking lot tomorrow and make sure the WDH is adjusted properly. Lack of towing experience and only being 33 doesn’t help either.
Being only 33 should be an asset... you've got faster reflexes.
You actually look pretty level on that hitch.
Tire inflation and torquing the wheels after the recommended mileage will prevent a lot of problems. Interstates are always a bit sketchy because you can't predict how your trailer will react when passed by a big truck.

Welcome from Texas!
Old 08-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Nice setup! What model tt is that? I tow a 192rbs with a 2018 f150 screw 6.5 bed with zero issues. You should have a lot of good times.
Thanks!

287 BHDS
Old 08-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

Make a quick check list before you move. TV antenna, steps, awning, hoses, plugs, levelers all things we tend to forget. We both do the wall around. Oh have someone outside when putting out slides so to don't hit a pesky tree or water outlet. Have fun and learn to laugh at problems!!
snuelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
MCTroy

Congrats and welcome to the FROG family from Ohio.
While you are learning, and even later on, remember to learn from your mistakes and then laugh about them. Any good ones, share! We gave all done s few biggies...
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #10

Congratulations on your new TT and all the adventures it holds. Another suggestion is to do a "test camp" someplace close (even your driveway if there is room) and camp at least overnight, maybe two. Keep a list of the things you wish you had remembered to put in the TT (or go back in the house and get them). You will always be adjusting the stuff you need and don't need, and that is part of the fun of camping. Until you get used to driving with a TT, take it easy and make small adjustments when backing up and allow plenty of room to stop when going down the road. Nice thing about being 33 is all the years you have left to camp! Enjoy!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #11

We actually find doing 60-62 on the interstates to be VERY relaxing. Everyone else is passing us and we simply do not care. No jockeying for position, etc. Just sit in the right lane and relax.

Before I forget (happens more and more frequently), Congratulations on your great looking rig!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #12
Scoundrel

Nice looking camper and tow vehicle! Congratulations.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #13

Your first time at a campground or RV park where you have to back in, get out and announce to anyone within earshot that this is your first time and to get out their chairs and popcorn because you know it's likely to be entertaining, then laugh along with them. It takes the sting out of them laughing AT you. Most likely someone with plenty of experience will offer to help, and you should let them.

Congrats on your first camper!
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #14
pburch

Brought our first RV home today!!

Congrats on your purchase, lot of fun in your future at your age!!! This is a great place to answer your future questions, and you may have many!! After getting fully loaded, making a trip to the Cat Scales would be in order to make sure if you need to make weight adjustments....
2021 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L 4 x 4 3.73 Gear 6' 4" Bed
Along with "Abby" and "Charlie" our Fur Babies
pburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #15
Misfit Adventures

Welcome nice set up
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #16

Backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
Your first time at a campground or RV park where you have to back in, get out and announce to anyone within earshot that this is your first time and to get out their chairs and popcorn because you know it's likely to be entertaining, then laugh along with them. It takes the sting out of them laughing AT you. Most likely someone with plenty of experience will offer to help, and you should let them.

Congrats on your first camper!
Look to spend at least a few houre with your backing buddy going over: where to stand, what hand signals to use and what they mean to each of you, what for the spotter to watch for. I know it’s funny but rarely are two people on the same page backing for at least a while. Some of the most fun is hooking up the trailer if you didn’t have Fords great back up camera. I can’t seem to explain it’s easier for me to use camera than to guess what hand signals may mean to helper that don’t mean the same to me in the rear view mirror.

Geat rig, go forth and have fun making memories. 👏🏻👏🏻
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #17
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
Congratulations on your new TT and all the adventures it holds. Another suggestion is to do a "test camp" someplace close (even your driveway if there is room) and camp at least overnight, maybe two. Keep a list of the things you wish you had remembered to put in the TT (or go back in the house and get them). You will always be adjusting the stuff you need and don't need, and that is part of the fun of camping. Until you get used to driving with a TT, take it easy and make small adjustments when backing up and allow plenty of room to stop when going down the road. Nice thing about being 33 is all the years you have left to camp! Enjoy!
Very good advice but before you camp in your driveway, worked best for us cause I got tired of playing 20 trips home or to the store, get your rig weighed when you are fully loaded. Practice backing into empty spots in a parking lot.

Congrats on your new rig! You have many years of memories ahead. Enjoy it!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburch View Post
Congrats on your purchase, lot of fun in your future at your age!!! This is a great place to answer your future questions, and you may have many!! After getting fully loaded, making a trip to the Cat Scales would be in order to make sure if you need to make weight adjustments....
Yeah, I definitely plan to do this however being new in not sure what to do or expect there.

Can you help outline exactly what part of the truck / trailer should I weigh? How many passes will I have to make? Do you pay per measurement or do they let you take multiple? Etc.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #19

Congrats.... Welcome to the Coachmen family..... We have a 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS and love it. If you get the chance, take a trip to Goshen, IN and tour the Freedom Express factory. It is one of the newest factories for Coachmen and every time I go there I am impressed with the operation.
stevegotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #20

Welcome to the great adventure from West Virginia! Every trip you take for a while, there will be things that you find you need. So be ready to make a list! One thing it took me years to figure out is to just slow down and enjoy the ride there and have patience- there will be a learning curve.
Great looking rig and truck! Enjoy and happy camping.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote