Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Bug screens

I read alot of threads about appliance issues not starting ETC,,,ETC.. Just wanted to share this. First thing I did when I got my TT was get the proper sized bug screens for the Furnace exhaust,,,frige fresh air vents,,,and. water heater door screen vents. Eliminates ONE of the most common issues in camping. BUGS. You would not believe some of the places a stink bug can crawl in. If you do this make sure you pick the exact screen for the models of your appliances. They have very suttle differences. Hope this helps.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #2

Also, get yourself a dog's flea collar, and cut it into pieces, and place the pieces behind the covers for your Water Heater and Fridge. Helps repel any bugs that might get past the screens (a few do!). This was recommended by the dealer we bought our camper from. I installed all the screens and did the dog collar thing... NO BUGS where they shouldn't be last year! Can't argue with success!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 PM   #3

One caution, if you put screens on the water heater and/or furnace and have issues with either appliance. Take them off BEFORE taking it in for service or talking pictures. Technically, applying screens voids the warranty (according to FR). Though unofficially the same FR person who stated this at a rally seminar said that they ARE a good idea.
For whatever reason, there is no issue using them on a propane fridge.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
One caution, if you put screens on the water heater and/or furnace and have issues with either appliance. Take them off BEFORE taking it in for service or talking pictures. Technically, applying screens voids the warranty (according to FR). Though unofficially the same FR person who stated this at a rally seminar said that they ARE a good idea.

I've seen that before also...

But what could those screens possibly do to void the warranty? Certainly a mud dauber condo nest would cause much more damage than anything the screens could cause.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 03-21-2019, 12:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I've seen that before also...

But what could those screens possibly do to void the warranty? Certainly a mud dauber condo nest would cause much more damage than anything the screens could cause.

My guess - lawyers. Probably applied because someone used window screen and degraded air flow resulting in some kind of legal proceedings.
Kind of like the power adapters for Dell laptops. They had problems with some people replacing the one supplied with the laptop causing exploding batteries. Now only an official dell charger will work - it has a pin in the center which is sensed by the laptop. No pin, no work!
Old 03-21-2019, 01:08 AM   #6

Quote:
My guess - lawyers.

If we didn't have so many lawyers, we wouldn't need so many lawyers!

I've got 4 of them in my family... so I can say it

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
. You would not believe some of the places a stink bug can crawl in.
I guessed right away you are from Delaware. Spot on about the stink bugs. I camped at Lums Pond in October and was still finding stink bugs in February.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianocnj View Post
I guessed right away you are from Delaware. Spot on about the stink bugs. I camped at Lums Pond in October and was still finding stink bugs in February.
I only live 6 miles from Lums pond. Just can't seem to justify camping there. Even though now they have full hookups on all sites. Not sure about cable.
So how was your experience there?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
FR would have problems if I just washed my trailer. Those Camco bug screens are sized big enough that they do not restrict air flow. They are specifically sized for the brands they are designed to help.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #10

you know that there are only 3 lawyer jokes in the world. The rest are true. Grin
beavertrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

I've had screens on my furnace and water heater for 5 years and haven't had problems. I can tell you don't use a rv cover unless you have screens on the refrigerator vents.

Saying this as I knock on my fiberglass wall for good luck. lol
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #12

Quote:
FR would have problems if I just washed my trailer. Those Camco bug screens are sized big enough that they do not restrict air flow. They are specifically sized for the brands they are designed to help.

FR doesn't warranty them. Manufacturer does. Their warranty, their rules. FR is just passing on advice.
As I noted, the rule may be from people were using metal window screening with way less airflow. As with the government, some idiot does something stupid and the rest of us get punished.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #13

I added a bug screen to my furnace on my 16 CKTS. I had a very small bird building a nest in side the furnace. I had to take it all apart and clean out the blower assembly. Lucky it didn't catch fire.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:18 AM   #14
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I added a bug screen to my furnace on my 16 CKTS. I had a very small bird building a nest in side the furnace. I had to take it all apart and clean out the blower assembly. Lucky it didn't catch fire.

More like a mouse. I had a Wilderness trailer where a mouse built an nest in it. Hummingbirds are the only bird small enough and they build their nest in bushes. The more thickly branched the bush the better they like it.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #15

Quote:
I only live 6 miles from Lums pond. Just can't seem to justify camping there. Even though now they have full hookups on all sites. Not sure about cable.
So how was your experience there?
The Campground is nice. Big sites. Very well kept up.
They seem to always have things for the kids to do.
The only problems I had were:

I parked under an Oak tree and about every hour day and night the squirrels decided to drop acorns on to the trailer roof. Freaked out my dogs to the point where they were looking up at the ceiling and shaking. The cat had no problems.

The big problem, however, was the brown marmorated stink bug. There were thousands of them. Like you say they could get in any space. Doors, seals, fans, air conditioner, etc. Months later and I was still finding them.

Pic for those who don’t know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2FFEFDF6-5B55-47EC-BE92-4D9B9890BA9C.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	199342  
Old 03-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #16

Box elder bugs can really get in everywhere too. If you carry a pump garden sprayer, dawn and water will do those critters in real nice and quick! I've got the screens on all my propane appliances, well worth it
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianocnj View Post
The Campground is nice. Big sites. Very well kept up.
They seem to always have things for the kids to do.
The only problems I had were:

I parked under an Oak tree and about every hour day and night the squirrels decided to drop acorns on to the trailer roof. Freaked out my dogs to the point where they were looking up at the ceiling and shaking. The cat had no problems.

The big problem, however, was the brown marmorated stink bug. There were thousands of them. Like you say they could get in any space. Doors, seals, fans, air conditioner, etc. Months later and I was still finding them.

Pic for those who don’t know.
Stink bugs! Another thank you gift for commercial trade with China.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoner View Post
Stink bugs! Another thank you gift for commercial trade with China.
And just 10 minutes ago I get this text from my wife in her moms hospital room.
“I get here. Take off my coat. Out hops a stink bug. Not good 😢 ”
Old 03-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #19

Quote:
FR doesn't warranty them. Manufacturer does. Their warranty, their rules. FR is just passing on advice.
As I noted, the rule may be from people were using metal window screening with way less airflow. As with the government, some idiot does something stupid and the rest of us get punished.
Thing is, when one has a problem, the manufacturer can't just arbitrarily deny warranty because of a screen, etc. They have to show how that item actually caused the problem.

Same for automotive and other equipment manufacturers. Can't deny warranty just because someone didn't use their brand of motor oil, coolant, etc. Have to show that the product was the cause of failure.

Not a bad idea to remove screens and any other possible add on device before taking it in for warranty repair as it will cut down on hassle factor but one's warranty rights aren't forfeit.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote